Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 04:05 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
If I recall this vote was actually AFTER the Lighthouse project was blocked by TOH. I was completely for the Lighthouse plan which used private money. The $400m vote was a hail mary pass by Nassau County and many including myself who were for Ratner and Wang developing a big fancy mess with their own money were completely against giving inept Mangano $400m of taxpayer money to essentially slap a coat of paint on the current Mausoleum without even retaining the Islanders. Two different situations altogether.
You're right, there were, generally speaking, 2 projects, the 1st 1 wasn't voted on & the 2nd 1 wasn't passed. This article sums it up this way:

Quote:
... it is another frustrating case of a small, highly visible not in my backyard (NIMBY) movement in suburbia on one hand, and, on the other, an unwanted development foisted upon urban residents without due process through eminent domain.
The Death of Nassau Coliseum: A Harbinger of Suburban Decline? | Newgeography.com

It might be a 'done deal' as far as the Islanders are concerned, they're still geographically on LI ...

Although personally, I think the OP is still relevant, Long Island ... where do we go from here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 10:58 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Yeah, because anything west of NYC is a hick town. How provincial of you.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I really don't know where you're coming from here? Perhaps you don't know where I'm coming from either?

I didn't claim your earlier post was a sound byte? & I didn't claim you, personally, have a contemptuous & persistent disdain for any kind of change.

In your earlier post you said:

Maybe it's true "what I want and what you want are 2 different things." How would I know? Maybe you want whatever Charles Wang wants? How would I know?

Personally I'd like to hear your ideas, what are they?
In general, LI has to move on from the single home model and people say they are OK with this, as long as it occurs some other town miles down the road, but not in their back yard. High density housing breeds crime.
It's the same argument used against opposition to light rail in other areas of the country - "It's a commuter system for criminals into my area".

Old 01-10-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
You're right, there were, generally speaking, 2 projects, the 1st 1 wasn't voted on & the 2nd 1 wasn't passed. This article sums it up this way:

The Death of Nassau Coliseum: A Harbinger of Suburban Decline? | Newgeography.com

It might be a 'done deal' as far as the Islanders are concerned, they're still geographically on LI ...

Although personally, I think the OP is still relevant, Long Island ... where do we go from here?
More apartments, condos, etc... to keep young crowd on the Island. More ow rise business buildings to provide inexpensive office space so may a business district can develop or grow which would increase the tax base, which would provide more than low paying retail sales jobs. This is how the growing areas outside of LI are doing it. It doesn't have to be a mega suburb like Tyson's Corners, VA, but somewhere in between. Clearly giving businesses an alternative to locating in DC proper has drawn a lot of businesses there.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Yeah, because anything west of NYC is a hick town. How provincial of you.
Hah! I agree many NYers (including me) are provincial, although the reason for pointing to the Dueling Banjos scene from Deliverance was more in response to the O Brother Where Art Thou reference. Music was important in both films. I can't hear Dueling Banjos without thinking about that scene. & I can't see that scene in my mind without thinking about the part at the end of the song when the young boy recoils from the offer of a handshake. Both movies are classics in a sense but this isn't the place to share insights about movies, is it? Music is a very powerful influence.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:47 AM

Quote:
In general, LI has to move on from the single home model and people say they are OK with this, as long as it occurs some other town miles down the road, but not in their back yard. High density housing breeds crime.
It's the same argument used against opposition to light rail in other areas of the country - "It's a commuter system for criminals into my area".
Quite a few folks in the the LI forum have pointed to the NIMBYism factor. & I agree this factor plays a role in other parts of this Country as well.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
More apartments, condos, etc... to keep young crowd on the Island. More ow rise business buildings to provide inexpensive office space so may a business district can develop or grow which would increase the tax base, which would provide more than low paying retail sales jobs. This is how the growing areas outside of LI are doing it. It doesn't have to be a mega suburb like Tyson's Corners, VA, but somewhere in between. Clearly giving businesses an alternative to locating in DC proper has drawn a lot of businesses there.
I think having a Plan & using rational persuasion would be helpful.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:06 AM

Default Music

Come to think of it, now that the Islanders are a 'done deal' & have moved on to Brooklyn, why not consider a new 'Lighthouse Project'? Perhaps with the music industry as advocates & business partners?

Old 01-11-2015, 06:15 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
Quote:
Come to think of it, now that the Islanders are a 'done deal' & have moved on to Brooklyn, why not consider a new 'Lighthouse Project'? Perhaps with the music industry as advocates & business partners?
After that catastrophe, no private business would attempt a project like the Lighthouse Project here. The nimbys and the local criminal cabal running NC would drain them of time and money.

I think they should give that building away to an out of state company on the condition they bring high quality jobs here for x/x amount of years. The company would pay full taxes on the real estate.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
After that catastrophe, no private business would attempt a project like the Lighthouse Project here. The nimbys and the local criminal cabal running NC would drain them of time and money.

I think they should give that building away to an out of state company on the condition they bring high quality jobs here for x/x amount of years. The company would pay full taxes on the real estate.
How about creating a film or TV production complex? C'mon LI has more than enough drama queens!

Quote:
When director Marc Webb spoke to the big crowd at the premiere of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" here, he didn't open by saluting the cast or welcoming the colorfully dressed fans at the Ziegfeld Theatre.

Instead, he gave thanks — to New York.

"We shot this all in New York, which is a great place to shoot a movie," Webb told onlookers, including delegates from the New York City Mayor's Office of Media and Entertainment. "I highly recommend it if you get the chance."
New York taking a larger bite out of Hollywood productions - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island