Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 06:29 PM

57 posts, read 88,373 times

Advertisements

Take Northern state to Meadowbrook, get off at Stewart ave, drive west to Adelphi. More mileage but more time spent at highway speeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 06:57 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_ View Post
Take Northern state to Meadowbrook, get off at Stewart ave, drive west to Adelphi. More mileage but more time spent at highway speeds.
Definitely don't do this. It takes 15-20 minutes to get from the Meadowbrook exit on Stewart to Adelphi without any serious traffic.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:36 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
Definitely don't do this. It takes 15-20 minutes to get from the Meadowbrook exit on Stewart to Adelphi without any serious traffic.
In my experience it would take 5-10 mins without traffic max. And way less driving on the local roads.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:27 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
In my experience it would take 5-10 mins without traffic max. And way less driving on the local roads.
What are you comparing it to?

Besides, the distance of the roads themselves are about 4 miles. For it to take 5 minutes would mean you average 48 mph through the route, which is nowhere near accurate. It taking 10 minutes would mean averaging 24 mph, which is reasonable but I don't think it's completely accurate considering all the lights and stoppings.

Perhaps 20 minutes is a bit much. I would 10-15 minutes makes the most sense. Definitely not just 5 minutes, though.

Anyway, this route adds 8 additional miles of parkway as well.

Last edited by Peppin0; 12-27-2014 at 11:37 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 03:38 AM

402 posts, read 518,597 times
How about Exit 17 North on the Southern State (Hempstead Ave) ? Make a left onto Nassau Blvd, then a right onto Cambridge.... I lived in Riverdale during my college days and that's the route I took to get home.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:27 AM

119 posts, read 257,487 times
I'd recommend getting a smartphone if possible. If you had one, you would literally be able to ask all those questions and receive answers from it.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:35 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
What are you comparing it to?

Besides, the distance of the roads themselves are about 4 miles. For it to take 5 minutes would mean you average 48 mph through the route, which is nowhere near accurate. It taking 10 minutes would mean averaging 24 mph, which is reasonable but I don't think it's completely accurate considering all the lights and stoppings.

Perhaps 20 minutes is a bit much. I would 10-15 minutes makes the most sense. Definitely not just 5 minutes, though.

Anyway, this route adds 8 additional miles of parkway as well.
Yeah, the time from the exit onto Stewart Ave to Adelphi is not going to be 5 minutes. There would have to be zero traffic (you're passing the mall, so not likely), hit every green light and hope the GCPD isn't looking for speeders on Stewart.

Plus, he still has to get from Stewart Avenue to Adelphi, which is not as easy from this direction and he wants the most direct route. It's a much more winding route.

The route that Pinuzzo posted doesn't have any more local roads and is more direct. It makes no sense to PASS your destination and then backtrack.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:33 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
id stick to Pinuzzo's route or the Jamaica/Jericho combo, the 2 maps Pinuzzo posted for me

the parking issue grates me a bit as i don't know the area and id hate the thought of having to have that extra burden as im already dealing with an area i don't know. also im diabetic and i gotta eat when i get hungry so i gotta know where im gonna eat. i will call the school and inquire about all these things

Old 12-28-2014, 02:36 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
id stick to Pinuzzo's route or the Jamaica/Jericho combo, the 2 maps Pinuzzo posted for me

the parking issue grates me a bit as i don't know the area and id hate the thought of having to have that extra burden as im already dealing with an area i don't know. also im diabetic and i gotta eat when i get hungry so i gotta know where im gonna eat. i will call the school and inquire about all these things
I don't think you will have trouble parking on campus. Have they said it will be a problem? There are plenty of places to eat - literally a 2 minute drive away. It's a nice area, you won't have any trouble getting around. Immediately surrounding Adelphi it is residential but there are places to eat on Nassau Blvd and also on 7th Street in Garden City. Plenty of parking in both areas.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:13 PM

156 posts, read 449,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post

I've taken plenty of classes at Adelphi on Saturdays and you will have no problem parking. There are many lots on campus and very few activities or classes on Saturday mornings. No need to stress this at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island