Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 11:39 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerphysio View Post
Very entertaining thread...here's my 2 cents:

Left Northport, LI in 1994 for Birmingham, AL. Expected to return to LI after 2-3 years, but career was going too well to leave.

Do I enjoy where I live now? Yes.
Do I miss Long Island? Absolutely.
Would I like to move back to LI? Yes.
Would moving back to NY be a smart decision? Absolutely not. I could not even come close to maintaining my current lifestyle on LI, and being here allows me to provide opportunities for my 3 kids that I could not provide living paycheck to paycheck up there.

Many current residents of LI on this thread are getting very offended about other posters who bash LI, but are then very quick to bash "the South" with some very outdated stereotypical representations of anything below the Mason-Dixon Line. I think posters on both sides of this "issue" need to realize that every place doesn't work for everyone, and bashing places that other people call home is simply disrespectful.

I love and miss Long Island, but it is possible to be happy and thrive elsewhere.
The difference is that the people bashing LI from other locations in the USA are actually coming onto the LI CD forum and starting the bashing of NY/LI.

LI'ers are just defending ourselves with instances of "what's not so good in the South."

I challenge you to find another state/city/area forum on CD where LI'ers go there and post bashing threads about the location. Obviously, we have better manners than to do that and we have more sense. But we will defend ourselves if someone comes to the LI forum in order to bash LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
*crickets*
You're not giving him all the choices in your question:

He lives in a trailer, which he rents from the owner of the trailer park. You should have included trailer in your choices!

Old 01-12-2015, 11:43 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times
Quote:
never got a response on this one. I guess we can rule out an actual house? And here I thought they were just giving them away out there!
I don't need to answer your questions. I don't need to provide personal information to someone that seems angry, hostile, and somewhat unhinged. All you need to know is that I am living in a lovely home that would cost 60% more on Long Island. If you don't believe me, pull out random examples on zillow and do a comparison. My school district is fine (rated in the top 25% of schools in Pa), although I could care less because I don't have kids. My property taxes are significantly less here, and I am surrounded by wonderful parks that have beautiful streams, lakes, and hiking trails.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
*crickets*
Does he have kids? He is a kid. His mom sent me a DM calling me out for picking on her son!

Old 01-12-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Jeez, this OP is just terrible.
LMAO! It's pretty bad when even you cannot take the back of a LI basher ...

Old 01-12-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The difference is that the people bashing LI from other locations in the USA are actually coming onto the LI CD forum and starting the bashing of NY/LI.
Wrong. I was actually on Long Island when I started this thread. I was going to leave my opinion at that until some angry trolls followed me back leaving me nasty messages on here when I got back to Pa.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Wrong. I was actually on Long Island when I started this thread. I was going to leave my opinion at that until some angry trolls followed me back leaving me nasty messages on here when I got back to Pa.
LMAO! So if an out-of-state resident is actually ON Long Island at the time he/she/it writes bashing posts it's okay? You are priceless, just priceless!

Old 01-12-2015, 11:55 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Did you post it from your mom's basement, or have you moved on up to her kitchen table?

Old 01-12-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I don't need to answer your questions. I don't need to provide personal information to someone that seems angry, hostile, and somewhat unhinged. All you need to know is that I am living in a lovely home that would cost 60% more on Long Island. If you don't believe me, pull out random examples on zillow and do a comparison. My school district is fine (rated in the top 25% of schools in Pa), although I could care less because I don't have kids. My property taxes are significantly less here, and I am surrounded by wonderful parks that have beautiful streams, lakes, and hiking trails.
So am I. Walking distance as a matter of fact. And I'm not in the big 631.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
LMAO! So if an out-of-state resident is actually ON Long Island at the time he/she/it writes bashing posts it's okay? You are priceless, just priceless!
Fine. Out of state residents should only be allowed to say nice and glowing things about long island or be thrown in a gulag. City data can be just like North Korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island