Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 11:00 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Don't take my word for it. On any city forum, people talk about new things to see in town, what to do for the weekend, areas that are redeveloping, etc. On the LI forum, threads are about graffiti, an influx of illegal immigrants, how to land coveted gold-plated public sector teaching jobs, gimmicks on how to lower property taxes, etc. I think that says it all. I think a lot of LOng islanders don't even know how bad they have it because they are caught in the treadmill of just trying to keep up.
Are you comparing LI to a city now? While I no longer live there I still think LI is a great place and it does have a lot to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 11:03 AM

413 posts, read 598,944 times
Quote:
Don't take my word for it. On any city forum, people talk about new things to see in town, what to do for the weekend, areas that are redeveloping, etc. On the LI forum, threads are about graffiti, an influx of illegal immigrants, how to land coveted gold-plated public sector teaching jobs, gimmicks on how to lower property taxes, etc. I think that says it all. I think a lot of LOng islanders don't even know how bad they have it because they are caught in the treadmill of just trying to keep up.

Rose colored glasses when it suits his agenda, horrific superlatives when it doesn't. Why is anyone still feeding this blatant troll who has never owned a home here?!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:30 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
I think having kids is even more of a reason to get out. The schools are overrated, lack of green space (we used to play in the woods as kids), and the high schools are becoming plagued with an overwhelming heroin epidemic.
Long Island and NY are solidly in the green when it comes to this:

Interactive map shows America

Compare it to some of the relo hotspots. WTF is up with South Carolina, for instance? And LI'ers are moving there by the dozens lately because it's "so cheap" ... well, you get what you pay for ...

Old 01-16-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Just wondering why you would stay because of kids?
Because I think it's illegal to move away and just leave them ...

Old 01-16-2015, 11:35 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Long Island and NY are solidly in the green when it comes to this:

Interactive map shows America

Compare it to some of the relo hotspots. WTF is up with South Carolina, for instance? And LI'ers are moving there by the dozens lately because it's "so cheap" ... well, you get what you pay for ...
Looks like West Virginia and Pennsylvania are solidly green. Good to know! Property taxes are also significantly cheaper.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:44 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Looks like West Virginia and Pennsylvania are solidly green. Good to know! Property taxes are also significantly cheaper.
And your green space nonsense is a joke. There is still plenty here. Is there as much as PA? No. Because this is a friggin island with a fraction of the land. If you want to compare apples to apples NYS as a whole has as much if not more "green space" then PA does. And guess what I'm just fine with the parks right near my house, you can have all the endless wilderness you want.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
PA performed better than I expected. As for WV, on this map crime is measured per 100,000 people. Doesn't WV hold only 50,000 people altogether?

Old 01-16-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
, you can have all the endless wilderness you want.
Along with lower taxes! Just admit it so we can put this thread to rest, LI isn't what it used to be and you don't get what you pay for. There are "greener" pastures beyond the Lincoln Tunnel.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:52 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
Along with lower taxes! Just admit it so we can put this thread to rest, LI isn't what it used to be and you don't get what you pay for. There are "greener" pastures beyond the Lincoln Tunnel.
still waiting for you to admit your comparison of housing costs was exaggerated considering you don't own a house.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
still waiting for you to admit your comparison of housing costs was exaggerated considering you don't own a house.
I don't get your fixation on owning a home. Even if I didn't own a home (which I did), it isn't like renters on LI aren't affected by sky high property taxes. Since rentals are limited (nimbyism), landlords are in a position to pass off their higher property taxes on to renters. Just look at all the people renting out their illegal basements to stay ahead of the tax burden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island