Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 01:41 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,722,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
While I would not post in the style of the original poster, I pretty much feel like he does. We do miss pizza and bagels and we do miss family and friends. That said, we try not to miss too many events as long as we can get there. I am not talking about weddings etc. more like gatherings for no good reason, or a brunch.

There is an old song I learned as a child whose lyrics are "Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold". When we were home for Christmas, we saw as many friends and family as we could coordinate time wise. We have great friends here who are the salt of the earth, but they are the silver friends and we love them too.

We looked our taxes up and we increased $454! Yikes. I think moving is a very personal choice and it has to be the right choice at the right time or else you will never be happy. Unfortunately, we were not blessed with children, so for us the draw of kids and grandkids did not hold us back from relocating, but I know I would still be there if we had kids. We moved close enough that we are a weekend trip and we do see a fair share of company. I might feel differently if I were further away and not able to have family visits. The move allowed DH to retire, something he would not have done if we remained in NY. It was the right decision for us but may not be for others.

Anyone headed in our direction, we will meet you for a pizza and bagel delivery, however!!!!
You said it better than I could.

I wouldn't start a thread on this, but since we're discussing this now ( ), I felt the same way. I got back from Long Island yesterday evening, and while I was there, I found myself asking why I stayed so long. Like another poster said, I kept being told that I'd get homesick, but nearly nine months later, it hasn't set in yet.

No disrespect to those who live on LI and love it, but the week and a half I spent up there made me happy to be back in Maryland. Ironically, I may have an opportunity to move to Raleigh in the next year or so, so we'll see what happens with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 03:13 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,869,784 times
didn't you post this last year?

We went on vaca to hawaii for 2 weeks and toward the end I couldn't wait to come back to normalcy. The good with the bad, I guess it's not really that terrible here. I'd love to escape the taxes and corruption, but the suburbs we have here I have no problem with. You'd be hard-pressed to find any one place that is perfect. With that in mind, you'd have a lot more credibility if you were objective with everything instead of just naming the positives. How's the food options, nearby family, sanitation, sports/entertainment, internet options, schools, salaries, etc.

Last edited by ovi8; 01-03-2015 at 03:26 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 03:57 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,722,316 times
^^ These types of threads would be more constructive if more people were objective.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:51 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,242,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
The traffic, the rude people, the lack of green space. Can't wait to plow through the Holland Tunnel to get back out. I feel like a rat in a cage here. Don't believe the people that say you will feel homesick once you leave here. Don't feel homesick one bit! In fact, the relatives will have to visit me next year. Just loving my new home with the mountains, the parks, the wide open space, the availability of jobs within a half an hour of my house, and most of all the reasonable property taxes!
Only a pathetic dooosh would take time out of their obviously awesome life to make a post like this.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:13 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,316,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Ive never understood the point of these kinds of threads. Ok we get it, you moved off Long Island an are happy ... good for you. However, I also know people who moved and they are miserable beyond belief. In the last month alone I have one friend who moved back from Arizona and another from Florida. I have zero friends who moved off of Long Island in the last month.

Long Island isent for everyone ... and some people like myself would pay high taxes in exchange for four seasons instead of one season (Florida) known as very, very, very hot or two seasons (North Carolina) hot and very hot.

I moved from LI and don't miss it, though I miss it from a previous era. My guess is most people who leave LI are happy they did so. You need to have a lot of money on LI. My income is lower away from LI but I believe I'm financially better off, all things considered. If someone was going to move there from another state, I would urge him/her to look closely at income, taxes, real estate taxes, house prices (though I heard it went down), and social status of someone who doesn't make/have big bucks.

Yes, the heat and humidity must be rough in Florida. I thought NC gets cool in the winter.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:13 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,410,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I thought NC gets cool in the winter.
NC does get cool in the winter. NC has four seasons. It's usually quite hot in the summer, although not always. I can remember one summer where it wasn't that hot at all. As a matter of fact, it was a cool summer with alot of rain. We have an in-ground pool and we hardly used it that year. It was actually warmer in NY that summer.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:32 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,409,637 times
This post is directed at all the persons who comment about the quality of pizza and bagels in the greater New York City metro area vs. wherever else (and I've seen it often in other threads as well over the course of time):

In all my myriad travels around much of the U.S. (and living all around the U.S.) over the decades, I never found myself lacking in the ability to find edible pizza or bagels wherever I've been (in ALL regions of the U.S. . . . and even in my travels in Canada). Everyplace has pizza places or pizza can be bought in stores of all types . . . and everyplace sells bagels (if not in specific stores that specialize in selling bagels, then in enough types of eateries and in supermarkets and groceries and other places). I never found a lack of access to edible-enough pizza nor bread or bagels of all types. Why do others keep insisting that this is not so?

I know that taste is wholly subjective. But if I had good pizza in New York City or Long Island, I have also had good pizza in Boston, MA and Boulder, CO and Cincinatti, OH and Laramie, WY and Minneapolis, MN and Madison, WI and Williamsburg, VA and Winnemuca, NV and Tempe, AZ and Tulsa, OK and Des Moines, IA and so on and so on and so on . . . ad infinitum. And also bought from supermarkets, mass-market retailers (i.e., Walmart, Target, K-Mart, et al), small grocers, etc.. And bagels too (if I ever desired them). It doesn't stand out in my memory over many decades, in virtually anyplace I've lived or traveled to, the thought that "Gee, they really, really lack in edible pizza or bagels here. Gosh, I've just got to get back to New York City or Long Island as soon as I can." I adapted to whatever was offered and it was edible and satisfying (or enough so).

Do you really, really think that the greater New York CIty metro area is unique in knowing how to prepare pizza and/or bagels?

Old 01-03-2015, 06:37 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,869,784 times
^ I had pizza today in Farmingdale (Bellagio's) and it looked great but tasted bland. Even in NY/LI you can be picky. My go-to place is found in Hicksville. The difference is access to the "bestest" pizzas and there are multitudes of them here. Good-enough edible is probably what I had today (thumbs down) and you didn't mention where your absolute favorite was. It's probably telling.

Go live in a place like San Diego and tell me you don't miss NY chinese food. It's not that they are lacking, they are lacking the good stuff. It's the same reality.

Last edited by ovi8; 01-03-2015 at 06:46 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 06:49 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,138,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
The traffic, the rude people, the lack of green space. Can't wait to plow through the Holland Tunnel to get back out. I feel like a rat in a cage here. Don't believe the people that say you will feel homesick once you leave here. Don't feel homesick one bit! In fact, the relatives will have to visit me next year. Just loving my new home with the mountains, the parks, the wide open space, the availability of jobs within a half an hour of my house, and most of all the reasonable property taxes!
Great, but why insult the current home of many forum members?
I've been moving a relative out of NYC and have tried to get to the Island as much as possible even though it's usually a really short visit. It still has a lot to offer for those willing to deal with the traffic and taxes. I can say I'm not homesick but it's always nice to visit the special places that mean so much to me and I can't wait till my wife and I can take a nice NYC/Long Island vacation this year when we can visit friends.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:58 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
This post is directed at all the persons who comment about the quality of pizza and bagels in the greater New York City metro area vs. wherever else (and I've seen it often in other threads as well over the course of time):

Do you really, really think that the greater New York CIty metro area is unique in knowing how to prepare pizza and/or bagels?
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island