Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 07:25 PM

53 posts, read 70,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
So James, are you a millionaire?
How does the number of millionaires in NYC help Long Island?
Every suburb in the country benefits from the core city doing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 07:28 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,781,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James XV View Post
New York State and NYC/Downstate New York are very different. Upstate has been hurting since the end of U.S. manufacturing, downstate is healthy and wealthy. Introducing the State of New York into a discussion about NYC probably doesn't make much sense. 95% of millionaires in NYS live in NYC/Downstate, for instance. 80% of NYS's GDP is from NYC. The difference between the two couldn't be more stark and most of those commercials and tax free zones are meant to help Upstate.

And the bribing is not new to The governor here in Texas travels the country and bribes corporations into moving to Texas by touting low-cost of doing business and throws in huge financial incentives. His most successful effort is recently getting Toyota to move their U.S. headquarters from Southern California to Dallas.

In regards to NYC's pull, nothing will ever steal NYC's thunder in the next century.

It recently surpassed London as the financial center of the world.

New York Strips London of Mantle as World's Financial Capital

Also, for with the exception of Houston and Dallas, most of these low cost southern cities barely have any major corporations. And they're both well behind New York and that's not going to change.

Fortune 500 Companies 2014

New York 84
San Francisco 30
Chicago 29
Houston 26
Los Angeles 22
Dallas 18
Minneapolis 17
Atlanta 16
Washington DC 16
Detroit 14
Boston 12
Denver 9
Philadelphia 9
Seattle 9
Cleveland 7
Miami 7
Phoenix 5
Portland 2
San Diego 2

And millionaire households are rare in Southern Cities, with the exeption of Houston and Dallas (which is so small compared to NYC)

Metro Areas Ranked by Millionaire Households
1. NYC 898,800
2. Los Angeles: 330,000
3. San Francisco: 199,300
4. San Jose 122,400
5. Chicago: 264,300
6. Washington DC: 220,700
7. Boston: 147,700
8. Philadelphia: 135,700
9. Houston: 131,000
10. Dallas-Fort Worth: 113,300
11. Detroit: 108,200
11. Seattle: 87,800

https://www.worldwealthreport.com/uswr

NYC has more rich people than any city in the world.

Cheaper cities will never, ever even approach the wealth and corporate base of New York. They're all growing and good for them, but the most elite cities are pretty much set in stone - New York, London, Tokyo. Cities like Austin and Charlotte are child's play compared to cities like this.

There are studies that rank cities and New York usually sweeps when they look into which cities are the most important in the world.

What Is the World's Most Economically Powerful City? New York - The Atlantic
This comes across as a of load hubris, harumping and suspender-snapping. The economy is imploding on Long Island. Cuomo's ads aren't helping, and we're not upstate.

If I were you, I'd not believe in NY's invincibility. The jobs you mentioned can be performed in cheaper locations, even offshore. Enjoy your cigars and Dom Perignon, but sleep with one eye open.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:33 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,104,889 times
Quote:
Every suburb in the country benefits from the core city doing well.
So you really don't know.

May I ask what's with the obsession with the wealthy?

Old 01-18-2015, 07:41 PM

Are you a billionaire?

Old 01-18-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
So you really don't know.

May I ask what's with the obsession with the wealthy?
High concentrations of wealth generally tells you which places are deemed as desirable to major CEO's and people with no monetary constraints/ability freely choose where it is they want to live. And the largest majority of these people say ....*drumroll*.... NYC

Old 01-18-2015, 07:43 PM

Are you a CEO?

Do you live in Manhattan?

Old 01-18-2015, 07:49 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,781,815 times
Quote:
Well of course many of the jobs can be performed elsewhere. There has been a lot of shifting back-offce financial services jobs to lower-tier cities outside of New York and London for decades but those people don't make a dent in the economy.

People who can afford better prefer to live in superior cities which is why the highest real estate and highest level of wealth are in such places, not horrid hovels like Charlotte. Can you imagine living in such a place? Frightening.

Do you really think you'd ever see Charlotte on a list like this? LOL!

Billionaire boom: Where the money is now - Sep. 16, 2014
You have said nothing that addresses the deep, intractable problems we're having on LI, and continue to preen and strut about NY and its billionaires and that every place that is not NY is a third rate hovel.

I'm starting to wonder if you're a fast food worker from St. Louis and trolling us.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:58 PM

Ya know I grew up on the old Belmont Estate and was forever running into moguls.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Are you a CEO?

Do you live in Manhattan?
I'm actually from another elite city - London. I am a CEO and lived in Manhattan for 5 years. And also rented a home in the Hamptons (Amagansett) during the summer. This year, I am finally ridding myself of this Houston existence and moving back to where one with my fine taste belongs - Manhattan.

Maybe I'll be a Long Island homeowner as I will probably purchase a home in the Hamptons when I return. I do believe the Hamptons are on Long Island so I have a right to share my thoughts. Kindly get over it.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:29 PM

And you spend your time here sounding like an out of towner? What kind of company are you a CEO of?

So, have you ever done a pub crawl in Huntington Village? Hung out at Robert Moses? Transferred at Jamaica? Rented the upstairs or basement of someone's home? Camped at Watch Hill? What do you know about Long Island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island