Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 09:37 PM

40 posts, read 124,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It depends what you consider cheap living and what is an acceptable quality of life for you. I could get a house very cheaply in Wyandanch, for example, but would I want to live there because it's cheap? Hmm, must think about that ... Where are the cheap property taxes on LI (and, for that matter, in the Greater NYC Area like Westchester, Bergen County NJ, etc.)?
This thread has gone way off topic, but I wonder where I_Love_LI_but goes to when she travels to other states? The bad parts of town? Not sure where she went in AZ that she couldn't find English speaking people to take her order, but I have never run into this situation. The only part of the city where that could possibly happen is south central Phoenix where its heavily latino, immigrants, and poor.

I grew up in Valley Stream, still own a house in Gibson. Since college I have lived in Seattle, Portland and now Phoenix. As far as home appreciation, NY doesn't corner the market on it. My house in Portland went up in value 80% during the 5 years I owned it. My house now in Phoenix has gone up 100% since I have owned it the past 10 years. My house in Phoenix has gone up more in value than my rental property I own in Gibson in Valley Stream.

NY also doesn't hold the market on pay/compensation. I am a professional with an MBA. The pay bump if I transferred to the LI office from Phoenix is only a 5% increase. That 5% would not make up for the cost of living. Ill keep earning high money in a reasonable cost of living place where I can save for retirement, take nice vacations, be able to pay off my house by the time I am 45, etc. All impossible on LI. Before you say, well housing is cheap that's how you can pay it off. Its not cheap, its actually comparable in price to LI, just the property taxes are cheaper. My home here is a regular 3 bed 2 bath, 1,700 SQ ft house with 2 car garage and its about $350,000 about 14 miles east of downtown.

In any city or area location is key. Good schools, proximity to amenities, easy commute to the "city" all help values. Every city has pluses and minuses. There I things I miss about Long Island, but the reality is, there are conveniences I miss about Phoenix when I am back in LI visiting. Its all relative and my plan one day is to live on LI in summer to be by family and here the rest of the year.

In the future, here's some advice for I_Love_LI_but, stop visiting the bad parts of town when you go on vacation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 06:34 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,990,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
And why wouldn't she want to live in the suburbs??
She has no children and won't ever... I'd be living the good urban life smack dab in the hippest city address if I was in that position.

That's really what this discussion comes down to and how LI was created in the first place - a place to move to raise a family. The Burbs!

Old 01-21-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I wouldn't be 'shocked' at all considering I lived in another southern expat utopia nearly half of my life. I know very well what suburban life is outside of the NY metro.
Good - so you get it. I think you really should consider that I have never hyped my particular area as a "utopia" or called people stupid for choosing to live on LI in all the years I've been posting here. Sure, I will act like a d^ck or be a wise arse - but that's for fun on an anonymous forum.

Life is about trade-offs and I received a whole bunch of help from people on these boards in making my decision to leave and go exactly where I am. I'm happy to pass it forward and help others understand the real deal of trading middle LI suburban life for another metro - I just happen to know LI vs. the Charlotte metro very well.

P.S. You don't say where you live in Nassau and I don't ever bother looking back at past posts... but I will tell you I know more people from Nassau down here than Suffolk.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:45 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,121,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
That's really what this discussion comes down to and how LI was created in the first place - a place to move to raise a family. The Burbs!
But things change, and the old reasons for living on Long Island have changed for many residents. And don't forget preferences. Just because you don't have kids doesn't mean you'd automatically prefer city life or the opposite.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
But things change, and the old reasons for living on Long Island have changed for many residents. And don't forget preferences. Just because you don't have kids doesn't mean you'd automatically prefer city life or the opposite.
That's the thing... can you think of anything that would attract a DINK to a house in Nassau? She doesn't live in a walkable area and commutes into the city. Do you really believe the oldest reason for living on LI has changed (kids, school, house)? I don't.

But, like I said - different strokes... what ever floats a person's boat.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:58 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,121,710 times
Back in my old hood there are still couples who raised their kids, married them off, got them out on their own over 20 years ago and still live in the same house. A home and where a person lives doesn't always fit into a demographic.
And as wonderful as NYC is there are some people who just don't want to live there and find what they want on Long Island.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Back in my old hood there are still couples who raised their kids, married them off, got them out on their own over 20 years ago and still live in the same house. A home and where a person lives doesn't always fit into a demographic.
And as wonderful as NYC is there are some people who just don't want to live there and find what they want on Long Island.
Well, sure... my Mom is still in her suburban LI house and we flew the coop long ago. But we're talking Dual Income No Kids (DINK) here. That's what I am saying is unusual, not unheard of or anything... just unusual. I mean she doesn't like in Port Washington or the like. It's Valley Stream! lol

Old 01-21-2015, 07:30 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,880,926 times
Quote:
Well, sure... my Mom is still in her suburban LI house and we flew the coop long ago. But we're talking Dual Income No Kids (DINK) here. That's what I am saying is unusual, not unheard of or anything... just unusual. I mean she doesn't like in Port Washington or the like. It's Valley Stream! lol
It's not that uncommon. Many people don't want kids anymore for various reasons. Prices in NYC are outrageous. Why wouldn't someone want to live in a less expensive area and be able to use their extra income on nice vacations, better homes, nicer vehicles. ..etc and still be in NYC in under 30 minutes?

Old 01-21-2015, 07:39 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,733,663 times
Quote:
She has no children and won't ever... I'd be living the good urban life smack dab in the hippest city address if I was in that position.

See I don't get your logic here. Not everyone wants to live in a city. I bought my house here well before I had kids. Even if I decided not to have any i'd still live in the suburbs, I was born and raised in the suburban environment, its the only place I ever wanted to live. I like having my own home, yard etc., kids or no kids. Why is that hard to understand?

Old 01-21-2015, 07:54 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,310,398 times
From Rubygreta
Quote:
This guy has gone off the deep end. Do you think anyone reading your hysterical drivel is going to be persuaded to leave New York? And I don't see many people stating that New York is the center of the universe.

Why don't you post in the forum of whatever the hell state and city you now live in, and make the people who live in your state and city feel good about where they live.

And I have no idea where you live. But I would guess that lots of people would think it sucks really bad. Why? Because that's how life works. Your paradise is someone else's hell.
Damn! I guess I'll never be invited over to Rubygreta's house! And I thought she was my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island