Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 07:57 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

I had one of the best pizza slices I've ever had at the mall the other day. I was truly shocked. Sauce was excellent, crust was thin and crispy, just the right amount of cheese. My daughter had a pepperoni roll and didn't like it at all....said the ones I make at home are way better. Go figure.

It is all about individual taste and where you were raised, but also about what appeals to a person's taste buds.

Bagels, I don't care about so much but there is a good place here that is always packed and we order rye bread there for the holidays. It's a good 15-20 minute trip and I can't be bothered to go that far for something I don't like that much in the first place.

Each region has their own cuisine that they excel at; some of the best food I ever had was in San Diego, but I wouldn't go there for Chinese food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 08:48 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,274 times
Well, I just packed up the car and am ready to roll out. It has been a fun week. Stay strong Long Island and try to take some time for yourselves this year and not get too stressed out. Peace out!

Old 01-04-2015, 09:06 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Well, I just packed up the car and am ready to roll out. It has been a fun week. Stay strong Long Island and try to take some time for yourselves this year and not get too stressed out. Peace out!

Have a safe trip. It is always good to get home after time away.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:36 AM

191 posts, read 516,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
The traffic, the rude people, the lack of green space. Can't wait to plow through the Holland Tunnel to get back out. I feel like a rat in a cage here. Don't believe the people that say you will feel homesick once you leave here. Don't feel homesick one bit! In fact, the relatives will have to visit me next year. Just loving my new home with the mountains, the parks, the wide open space, the availability of jobs within a half an hour of my house, and most of all the reasonable property taxes!

Where do you live now?

Old 01-04-2015, 09:38 AM

191 posts, read 516,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
UsAll, ever have a real authentic French croissant? Not a Dunkin Donuts croissant, not a supermakret croissant, not a frozen food department croissant, not a croissant from an Italian bakery, or a kosher bakery, or a Polish bakery, but a genuine authentic French crossiant which is usually half the size of what we see in the US. There are classic authentic versions of certain foods and once you have had the real thing, the imitations leave you unfufilled. Currently, there is a macaron craze. There are a couple of bakeries in Manhattan that come close, but still not the genuine article. I bought a few from that bakery on Plandome in Manhasset which has many good pastries, but their macarons were horrible. The only good pizza that I have had outside of NY (excluding Chicago deep-dish which is just not my personal preference) were made by ex-New Yorkers.
Where in South Florida do you live now?

Old 01-04-2015, 10:23 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,237 times
the OP is a troll. comes on the LI boards every couple of months to share his/her discontent with LI and then crawls back to Pittsburgh (eww) - per the history of their posts.

The thread should be shut for trolling.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:37 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I had one of the best pizza slices I've ever had at the mall the other day. I was truly shocked. Sauce was excellent, crust was thin and crispy, just the right amount of cheese. My daughter had a pepperoni roll and didn't like it at all....said the ones I make at home are way better. Go figure.

It is all about individual taste and where you were raised, but also about what appeals to a person's taste buds.

Bagels, I don't care about so much but there is a good place here that is always packed and we order rye bread there for the holidays. It's a good 15-20 minute trip and I can't be bothered to go that far for something I don't like that much in the first place.

Each region has their own cuisine that they excel at; some of the best food I ever had was in San Diego, but I wouldn't go there for Chinese food.
You never know where you will find good food. Had an awesome italian meal in Kauai of all places (owner was from north jersey), had great a pizza place in FL as well (although most places are awful). Bagels are another story, seem to be very hard to find decent outside of NY. Never did find a good place in FL.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:58 PM

194 posts, read 425,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
And also bought [pizza] from supermarkets, mass-market retailers (i.e., Walmart, Target, K-Mart, et al), small grocers, etc.. And bagels too (if I ever desired them).

BWWWAAAAAHAAHAAAAA!!!!
Now we know you have absolutely NO - NADA - ZERO IDEA what good pizza is!

You have made your entire post irrelevant with one sentence!

Go eat your walmart and kmart pizza! Hahahahaa!
...or your frozen Lenders bagels!

We will stick to and love our New York & Long Island pizza & bagels!

Old 01-04-2015, 01:06 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Yes, the pizza and bagels in NC can't compare to those of NY.
It's not just the pizza that is awful.... even a place that is owned by a former NYer (allegedly) apparently has no idea what linguini and white clam sauce is? The dish consisted of 3 individual clams in their shell and a whole can of Rienzi (I assume) chopped clams dumped on top of mushy pasta, with about 1/4 cup of salt. And NO OLIVE OIL??? To say it was gross is insulting to things that are in fact, gross.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:13 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
You are a lucky SOB. Thanks for ruining my year by reminding me of this lifelong sentence I am forced to serve because my wife insists it is the best place to be.
So I guess your wife has you by the ....... I would weigh out the pros and cons of living on LI and decide from there what's the best thing to do...stay or move. Unless you have a real attachment to family or your job there should be no reason why you couldn't live out of state. We hope to leave LI in 10 years let's see if it actually happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island