Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 01:05 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
haha - we will revisit it!

I think we could have a war on anecdotal evidence... plenty of examples here and there. Older established suburbs of Charlotte have done very well, even compared to LI. This may shock you!

Example from Zillow. Note that the peak isn't as high so it doesn't drop as far as a percentage...:
Judging by the listings and some of the huge houses in that area in that town you cherry picked (weddinton) valley steam is a poor comparison, and going by zillow, garden city (a much more comparable town to weddington, NC where the median income is 132k) garden city would be a much fairer direct comparison. According to zillow GC is at 789k, almost 400k more than weddington. Now I didn't look at what area increased in value more % wise, but I would bet weddinton would win out in that category. I will admit it looks like you can get an incredible house for the price in that area compared to here (what a shock).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 01:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
haha - we will revisit it!

I think we could have a war on anecdotal evidence... plenty of examples here and there. Older established suburbs of Charlotte have done very well, even compared to LI. This may shock you!

Example from Zillow. Note that the peak isn't as high so it doesn't drop as far as a percentage...:
Some beautiful new houses in Weddington! Imagine what they would cost if they were located in Valley Stream? We have no new houses at all except once in awhile spot builds, and they are often located on a "not great" plot.

The three most expensive homes in Valley Stream are $899,999 (built in 1989), $849,000 (built in 1951), and $815,000 (built in 1958). However, prices as high as this are more of an outlier in Valley Stream, hence the $371K in the graph you posted. I looked up houses in Weddington and, frankly, they look much nicer and are much, much newer for around half what these examples in Valley Stream cost.

Is Weddington where you live now?

The graph you posted is for December 2015. That is almost a year into the future, so it's only a PREDICTION by Zillow ... who aren't well known for their Zestimates (as Elke says, "Zillow Zestimates are Zuseless.")

Old 01-26-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Actually, Cleveland is still losing population and has a lot of problems in its outlying areas, but they cleaned up the downtown rather nice. If I was just out of school, I would undoubtedly choose downtown Cleveland over living in some illegal converted basement in souless Long Island.
I see you still didn't have that "ny" taken out of your screenname ...

Old 01-26-2015, 02:43 PM

483 posts, read 670,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Judging by the listings and some of the huge houses in that area in that town you cherry picked (weddinton) valley steam is a poor comparison, and going by zillow, garden city (a much more comparable town to weddington, NC where the median income is 132k) garden city would be a much fairer direct comparison. According to zillow GC is at 789k, almost 400k more than weddington. Now I didn't look at what area increased in value more % wise, but I would bet weddinton would win out in that category. I will admit it looks like you can get an incredible house for the price in that area compared to here (what a shock).
Yeah but you would have to live in NC, in an "upscale" neighborhood where you may not fit in and where they have expensive toys and lifestyles, where if you have certain jobs they don't translate well in terms of salary. The comparable income for 132,000 in NY would be around 170,000. At 170,000 you can afford to live very comfortably on LI or even Westchester.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:48 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Some beautiful new houses in Weddington! Imagine what they would cost if they were located in Valley Stream? We have no new houses at all except once in awhile spot builds, and they are often located on a "not great" plot.

The three most expensive homes in Valley Stream are $899,999 (built in 1989), $849,000 (built in 1951), and $815,000 (built in 1958). However, prices as high as this are more of an outlier in Valley Stream, hence the $371K in the graph you posted. I looked up houses in Weddington and, frankly, they look much nicer and are much, much newer for around half what these examples in Valley Stream cost.

Is Weddington where you live now?

The graph you posted is for December 2015. That is almost a year into the future, so it's only a PREDICTION by Zillow ... who aren't well known for their Zestimates (as Elke says, "Zillow Zestimates are Zuseless.")
I just chose it as an established suburban town for comparison to show how the prices didn't spike as high at the peak, thus during a correction it won't fall as far as a percentage... Don't read into it much more than that. All it is intended to show is the spike didn't spike as high so it won't correct as much. The graph is almost identical for Garden City peak to trough, so I could have shown that I guess.

Weddington has plenty of older, smaller, toned down homes to choose from... If I really wanted to cherry pick I would have chosen Marvin vs Garden City - which happens to be right next to Weddington. Again, you'll note the graph is pretty much the same as Weddington.

Zillow did extrapolate it out, but I wasn't trying to show the end, I was showing the past history - specifically from the peak to recently. Median is a pretty good indicator for statistics.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
Yeah but you would have to live in NC, in an "upscale" neighborhood where you may not fit in and where they have expensive toys and lifestyles, where if you have certain jobs they don't translate well in terms of salary. The comparable income for 132,000 in NY would be around 170,000. At 170,000 you can afford to live very comfortably on LI or even Westchester.
This is pretty much all subjective terms open to your own interpretation... you could "afford to live very comfortably on LI" for way less than 170k. It depends where on LI you're talking about. 170k won't go very far on the gold coast, but would be rockin in Ronkonkoma.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:01 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Mikey, I've never heard of Weddington before-- is it comparable to Myers Park?

Old 01-27-2015, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Mikey, I've never heard of Weddington before-- is it comparable to Myers Park?
Not really... Myers Park will always be Myers Park because of its prime location in South Charlotte proper. I could have easily chosen MP for a comparison, or cherry picked Eastover... the "old money".

Any of the towns we're talking about have held their value.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I just chose it as an established suburban town for comparison to show how the prices didn't spike as high at the peak, thus during a correction it won't fall as far as a percentage... Don't read into it much more than that. All it is intended to show is the spike didn't spike as high so it won't correct as much. The graph is almost identical for Garden City peak to trough, so I could have shown that I guess.

Weddington has plenty of older, smaller, toned down homes to choose from... If I really wanted to cherry pick I would have chosen Marvin vs Garden City - which happens to be right next to Weddington. Again, you'll note the graph is pretty much the same as Weddington.

Zillow did extrapolate it out, but I wasn't trying to show the end, I was showing the past history - specifically from the peak to recently. Median is a pretty good indicator for statistics.
No, you chose it to say "nyah nyah" to me, as in houses are worth more in Weddington, NC than in Valley Stream, NY!

I say back, "la la la la la!"

Old 01-27-2015, 11:07 AM

622 posts, read 852,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Actually, Cleveland is still losing population and has a lot of problems in its outlying areas, but they cleaned up the downtown rather nice. If I was just out of school, I would undoubtedly choose downtown Cleveland over living in some illegal converted basement in souless Long Island.
I would choose neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island