Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 07:47 AM

63 posts, read 169,467 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So, here I am waiting to for the inevitable of receiving the property tax increase for the new construction home I bought back in 2012. So far, I have been paying taxes based on the old home that was there. However, the new home did get the new assessment and I'm expecting to get ramped up the huha in taxes in the comming year (school 15-16 and town 16). Is there anything that can I can do now to lower the new assessed value? Should I contact a tax reduction lawyer and see if they can challenge the new assessment?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 11:02 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodri02 View Post
Hello,

So, here I am waiting to for the inevitable of receiving the property tax increase for the new construction home I bought back in 2012. So far, I have been paying taxes based on the old home that was there. However, the new home did get the new assessment and I'm expecting to get ramped up the huha in taxes in the comming year (school 15-16 and town 16). Is there anything that can I can do now to lower the new assessed value? Should I contact a tax reduction lawyer and see if they can challenge the new assessment?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
If it is in Nassau your new tax bill in on-line already at the land record viewer site.

Land Record Viewer

How much did it go up?

Old 01-07-2015, 12:22 PM

63 posts, read 169,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
If it is in Nassau your new tax bill in on-line already at the land record viewer site.

Land Record Viewer

How much did it go up?
Let just say the assesed value went up 2.8x from the previous.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:36 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
I'd move.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:13 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Sort of misleading how you titled it. If it had been you doing the new construction, you may have qualified for the Home Improvement Property Tax Exemption (link) that lasts 8 years. But the greater portion of the home needs to be at least 5 years old (you improved upon less than half of it like a 2nd floor).

Other than that, you are in for a rough one but should've expected it (did the realtors try to hide the inevitable increase?). We are doing the exemption and successfully grieved so we are still not really feeling the effects 4 years later. Grieve your taxes.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:37 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
You don't really grieve your taxes, you grieve your assessment.

What do you have to grieve?

Old 01-07-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Sort of misleading how you titled it. If it had been you doing the new construction, you may have qualified for the Home Improvement Property Tax Exemption (link) that lasts 8 years. But the greater portion of the home needs to be at least 5 years old (you improved upon less than half of it like a 2nd floor).

Other than that, you are in for a rough one but should've expected it (did the realtors try to hide the inevitable increase?). We are doing the exemption and successfully grieved so we are still not really feeling the effects 4 years later. Grieve your taxes.
But that is only for a max market value of 80K otherwise full tax rate.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodri02 View Post
Let just say the assesed value went up 2.8x from the previous.
How many bucks is that.

You should go online and grieve yourself. It is quick and easy and 90 percent of folks win

Old 01-07-2015, 02:56 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
How many bucks is that.

You should go online and grieve yourself. It is quick and easy and 90 percent of folks win
What's he going to grieve?

Crummy old house torn down.

New house built.

Has to show sold comps of NEW builds comparable to his that are assessed at less than he is.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:14 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Has to show sold comps of NEW builds comparable to his that are assessed at less than he is.
Doesn't have to be a new build, just one in the same area of the same style having similar beds/baths. Assuming colonial - plenty have been assessed lower than they should be. Let them decide it doesn't qualify. The only time you really can't grieve is if you're already low and can't find any comps lower.

System is such a scam, but they have to get their money somewhere.

Last edited by ovi8; 01-07-2015 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: