Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,529 times

Advertisements

Hey there. Single guy here, early 20s, born in Brooklyn but raised on Staten Island and I like it here and under other circumstances wouldn't be moving but I just got hired in Williamsburg and the commute is a schlep..
In LI I could take the LIRR to Jamaica and catch the J train, plus no city taxes!

Any areas of LI with a similar feel to SI South/Mid Shore? Like suburban but still dense enough that I could function without a car? Somewhere with a large Italian population so I wouldn't miss stuff like Pork Stores, good restaurants, and the cultural similarities? Looking to rent a basement apartment, or other multi family, not a fan of buildings or complexes.

Rockville Centre? Franklin Square? Massapequa? I really am unfamiliar with LI outside of Jones Beach and the Hamptons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 09:06 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
It's tough to find an Italian neighborhood like you are looking for on LI (I'm guessing you're from around New Dorp). Massapequa comes to mind - some call it MatzoPizza (and has a railroad station that gets you to Jamaica) . It's awfully hard to live here without a car so try to find a rental in a private home by a railroad station . good luck.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
By the way, the LIRR also has a few trains running to Long Island City, where you can catch the (G) train into Williamsburg. It might be quicker than dragging out on the (J) from Jamaica. Of course, LIC is in Zone 1, which means it costs more money.

Another alternative is taking the LIRR to ENY and walking to Broadway Junction, though being from NYC, I'm sure you're familiar with the reputation of that neighborhood.

I know Franklin Square is known for having a lot of Italian-Americans, but that's not on the LIRR. The N6 bus goes to Jamaica, and it's frequent, but it's crowded and unreliable.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:20 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Jersey City?

Old 11-04-2022, 08:17 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Jersey City?
jersey city to willamsburg for work?
that would just um... suck

Old 11-04-2022, 09:44 AM

2,603 posts, read 3,399,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Jersey City?
You know this question was asked almost 8 years ago right? If not then maybe it's time to visit the doc KK.

Old 11-23-2022, 08:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
jersey city to willamsburg for work?
that would just um... suck
How so? PATH into Manhattan in minutes and then a quick subway into Williamsburg. Sounds pretty easy to me.
If you insist on DRIVING then you are in for a world of hurt.

Old 11-28-2022, 01:18 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Islander View Post
Hey there. Single guy here, early 20s, born in Brooklyn but raised on Staten Island and I like it here and under other circumstances wouldn't be moving but I just got hired in Williamsburg and the commute is a schlep..
In LI I could take the LIRR to Jamaica and catch the J train, plus no city taxes!

Any areas of LI with a similar feel to SI South/Mid Shore? Like suburban but still dense enough that I could function without a car? Somewhere with a large Italian population so I wouldn't miss stuff like Pork Stores, good restaurants, and the cultural similarities? Looking to rent a basement apartment, or other multi family, not a fan of buildings or complexes.

Rockville Centre? Franklin Square? Massapequa? I really am unfamiliar with LI outside of Jones Beach and the Hamptons.
I wouldn't leave SI.

Anecdotally, I wasn't the only Long Islander who relocated to SI; some people find SI that much better.

Franklin Square is still largely Italian, as is Massapequa.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:51 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I wouldn't leave SI.

Anecdotally, I wasn't the only Long Islander who relocated to SI; some people find SI that much better.

Franklin Square is still largely Italian, as is Massapequa.
When is the last time you have been to FS?

Old 12-01-2022, 06:06 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
When is the last time you have been to FS?
You beat me to it. Further editorial comment, that seems to be pretty much the case all over. While many neighborhoods are still as nice as before there is a very different demographic now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island