Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:42 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,527,823 times

Advertisements

These projects are all over the place now. New one going up in Amityville, Holbrook, Patchogue's new crazy project, now Rononkoma. I also heard Farmingdale is next.

I thought everyone was leaving L.I.????

All designed simular to this:

lhttp://www.longisland.com/news/01-11-14/proposed-475-million-hub-project-may-turn-ronkonkoma-into-a-bustling-commuter-town.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 07:23 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,200 times
Just note you're started a NIMB topic. They will come out the wood work to tell why the project should not go. Oh then complain that their nephews or kids have no place to live because of high rents and no apartments

Old 06-24-2014, 07:31 AM

764 posts, read 1,552,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Just note you're started a NIMB topic. They will come out the wood work to tell why the project should not go. Oh then complain that their nephews or kids have no place to live because of high rents and no apartments
I am not against the Patchogue new village project but the cheapest rent there is $1350. You can buy a condo in the same school district for cheaper then that.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:32 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,029 times
NIMBY's just have no interest in turning Long Island into Queens, plain and simple. Doesn't matter, it's all turning into a toxic waste dump anyway. Too many people, not enough space or resources. More people = pumping more groundwater = increasing polution and salinity levels in our aquifers. Where is all the power coming from? What about open spaces and clean air? Oh, that's not a so-called progressive view. Traffic on every street at every turn at every hour. I know, I'm also not one of the folks getting rich from turning Long Island into a slum.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:37 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
NIMBY's just have no interest in turning Long Island into Queens, plain and simple. Doesn't matter, it's all turning into a toxic waste dump anyway. Too many people, not enough space or resources. More people = pumping more groundwater = increasing polution and salinity levels in our aquifers. Where is all the power coming from? What about open spaces and clean air? Oh, that's not a so-called progressive view. Traffic on every street at every turn at every hour. I know, I'm also not one of the folks getting rich from turning Long Island into a slum.

Wow I don't know queens was a slum.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:46 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,029 times
Sorry, not saying that Queens is a slum, but it's not the character that Long Island needs. It seems a lot of folks moved here from Queens that suddenly feel Long Island needs to feel like that home they should never have left. Apartment complexes of this level do not fit the character of Long Island and have potential to develop undesired elements. At least with condos there is a more stable element. Is it too much to ask for single family homes? By the way, more nail salons, deli's, and pizza places aren't going to fulfill LI's job needs. This project is a short term profit for someone who lives somewhere else and does nothing to benefit the area. Let's see what this looks like in 10 years.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:50 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
I am not against the Patchogue new village project but the cheapest rent there is $1350. You can buy a condo in the same school district for cheaper then that.
with no money down?

Old 06-24-2014, 09:11 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
EXACTLY!! people on LI have a serious NIMBY problem! they will even come out in droves to protest a 7-11. GET A LIFE.

IMO, these are exactly the sort of developments that LI needs! I have seen them in NC and they not only look good, but they attract businesses and people. What is wrong with that?

Old 06-24-2014, 09:13 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
Sorry, not saying that Queens is a slum, but it's not the character that Long Island needs. It seems a lot of folks moved here from Queens that suddenly feel Long Island needs to feel like that home they should never have left. Apartment complexes of this level do not fit the character of Long Island and have potential to develop undesired elements. At least with condos there is a more stable element. Is it too much to ask for single family homes? By the way, more nail salons, deli's, and pizza places aren't going to fulfill LI's job needs. This project is a short term profit for someone who lives somewhere else and does nothing to benefit the area. Let's see what this looks like in 10 years.
you are wrong. this is exactly what LI needs. These developments are going up all over the country and attracting businesses, young people, and culture. LI desperately needs an economical boost. You are very short sighted.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:40 AM

347 posts, read 1,351,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
you are wrong. this is exactly what LI needs. These developments are going up all over the country and attracting businesses, young people, and culture. LI desperately needs an economical boost. You are very short sighted.
I agree. Young people need a place to live around here, and businesses need young talent. New "affordable" homes for $400k are not going to help someone just starting out. I think development by a major train station is exactly what we need, that area has been decrepit for far too long now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island