Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 10:49 AM

295 posts, read 345,565 times

Advertisements

Hi. Anyone have any good recommendations? Looking to replace to good quality windows. I've searched the forum, but maybe someone has done some recent work? I live on the south shore of Nassau if that matters.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 01:01 PM

783 posts, read 1,422,077 times
I'm also looking to replace a bunch of windows. I heard some good things about Windows World, will get a quote from them soon.

https://www.windowworld.com/

Old 01-14-2015, 01:08 PM

321 posts, read 595,541 times
We bought a house that had been neglected for a few years in 2012. All the aluminum windows had warped and cracked and the wind basically blew threw the windows during the winter.

We went with Anderson replacement windows and they were expensive but my wife and I are both very happy with the windows.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:50 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,125 times
Two thumbs up for Stan's Window Service in Elmont.
Window Contractor in Elmont, NY (516) 790-1376

We found him through Homeadvisor and he did an excellent job. He does high-end energy efficient windows but also went out of his way to find a basic window in non-standard size for us. He did 4 windows for us, then months later, right before we moved out of our house, one of my kids accidentally broke an old 30" window (not the usual 28" or 32") and we needed a quick and economical replacement. Stan came through for us! I can't recommend him highly enough.

He's soft-spoken--when we first called him for an estimate I couldn't hear him too well on the phone but it was very much worth the effort.

Look at the reviews:

Pro Profile: Stan's Window Service, Inc.
The page will show just 1 review but when you uncheck the box that says "Show Only Reviews for My Project" then a lot more will show up:

5.0 | 07-10-2014
Review by George K. in Mineola, NY
Project: New Windows - 3-5
Great work! Stan did a quality job from start to finish. He was prompt in contacting us and giving an estimate. He made an effort to find windows to fit our budget and accurately estimated the time needed to order them. The installation was scheduled when he said it would be and was quick, clean and efficient. He even helped replace a screen on a window that was not part of the original project, After bad experiences with undependable, slow, inefficient and overpriced workers, we were very impressed and will recommend Stan and hire him for whatever door and window jobs we have!
Was this review helpful? Yes No
5.0 | 06-18-2014
Review by Frank V. in Plainview, NY
Project: New Windows
Stan is great. Very professional, quality work, respectful to your home including his helper. I have had quite a bit of work done in my home as well as estimates for various things and I can count on one hand how many I would recommend and Stan is definitely one of them. He came, gave an estimate and when he came to do the job, he did exactly what he said he would do. Love the finish product. I wish I knew him when I put the first set of windows in that Stan now replaced. You will not go wrong with hiring Stan.
5.0 | 05-16-2014
Review by Nixon D. in Jamaica, NY
Project: New Windows - Multiple
Stan is very professional and knowledgeable and does quality work
5.0 | 05-16-2014
Review by Deborah H. in Port Washington, NY
Stan did an outstanding job replacing my old windows. He and his worker were efficient, kept a spotless work site and did everything they said they would do. The installation has transformed my home. The price was excellent for the quality of windows. His schedule was exacting as well. I highly recommend them.
5.0 | 05-16-2014
Review by Deborah H. in Port Washington, NY
I would highly recommend Stan's Windows to anyone who wants to install new windows or install replacements. He is efficient, extremely dependable, kept the work site spotless, was polite and a very hard worker. He was accurate in his lead time estimates and very fair in price.
5.0 | 01-09-2014
Review by a homeowner in Oakland Gardens, NY
The best i have ever worked with or hired He prompt reliable and extremely neat and clean better than anyone could expect.
Response by : Your satisfaction is our priority, So happy we met your expectation. Thank you so much , Have a happy New year.
1 of 1 users found this review helpful.

5.0 | 10-08-2013
His customer service is outstanding! He is very, very professional and a nice person. I have no complaints.
Response by : Thank You so much, it was a pleasure working with you.
5.0 | 10-08-2013
He did an incredible job. Very efficient, windows went in nicely, the windows were also delivered promptly and I am very satisfied.
Response by : Your satisfaction is our priority. So happy we met your expectation.
5.0 | 10-08-2013
He is great and very, very good. He is very helpful and is always reliable.
Response by : Your satisfaction is our priority. So happy we met your expectation. Thanks for the opportunity.
5.0 | 10-02-2013
Review by Tanya J.
I am a tough customer, however I am very satisfied with Stan's work. Stan is above exceptional. I would recommend them to any and everyone. He is very professional and he was very helpful; he educated me on all of the material options and quality and cost of the work. I really appreciated that. Great attitude, cleaned up after, and treated my home with respect, very trustworthy. He is very passionate about what he does. 5++ rating!
Response by : It was a pleasure meeting you and your family. Thank you so much for the referral. I appreciate your kindness, we are glad that we met your expectation. Looking forward to assisting you with your next installation project.
Showing 1-10 of 10 Page 1 of 1
Profile Ratings & Reviews Top of Page
Stan's Window Service, Inc.
10 Verified Ratings
Ratings by Criteria
Quality
Customer Service
Value For Money
Ratings Distribution
5 Stars10
4 Stars0
3 Stars0
2 Stars0
1 Stars0
100% of reviewers recommend this pro
Ratings You Can Trust

Last edited by gk90; 01-14-2015 at 04:22 PM..

Old 01-15-2015, 05:43 AM

201 posts, read 332,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
We bought a house that had been neglected for a few years in 2012. All the aluminum windows had warped and cracked and the wind basically blew threw the windows during the winter.

We went with Anderson replacement windows and they were expensive but my wife and I are both very happy with the windows.
Good move going with the anderson's. You get what you pay for!

Old 01-15-2015, 07:31 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malakalot View Post
Good move going with the anderson's. You get what you pay for!
We have new Andersen 400 double hungs with our new build upstairs and old Andersen casements downstairs and I have to say there's still cold air that permeates. Noise too. I'd still go with them, but don't expect too much just because the name is reputable.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:39 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,101,159 times
I went with Window World this past summer for whole house windows and siding. The windows are okay. They seem to be good quality. I had some minor issues as I had a few service calls put in to them, but it was minor stuff. I really want to go through all four seasons to give my honest opinion. They did the job quick, it took five days for completion. I went with all double hung (with top grids) and a big bay window in the living room. Basement got all sliders. The sliders don't pop out easily so they can be tough to clean. I felt they could have done a neater job with caulking. They also agreed to give me new casing around the bay window and one of the bedroom windows. Again I felt they could have done a neater job. Next time I have a contractor over to work I may have him re-do the casing.

I felt they did a terrific job with the siding. I have no issues whatsoever with that. My neighbors have all complimented me on the transformation of the house. I have a 50's ranch and with original shakes and aluminum drafty windows. Any window would have been an improvement. I wanted to go with Andersons, but because I needed siding desperately too I had go economically, as it was going to cost way too much.
I had five companies come over for estimates. All the ones who do the full page ads in the newspapers, so I don't need to mention names. I actually liked all of them except for one, so I then based it on the best price and Window World got the job.

If you do have any type of issue, you can call them and they will come right over. So having peace of mind weighs in a lot.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:15 AM

54 posts, read 251,554 times
I just replaced windows in two places - my home and my rental. Doing the research is a big PITA! There are thousands of windows manufacturers - I think I read like 8,000. I don't know if that is true, but it seems like it. In the past I used Andersen windows. In one house it was double hung 400 series. There are decent windows, but pricey and their specifications are all over the place depending on the type, size of window you order. They are good way to go if you like a wood look and plan on staining the interior.

In our recent installation we were replacing vinyl windows and also wood windows that were painted white. We decided to go with a high quality vinyl window branded Okna after doing research on the internet for a while. You could probably do a search and find a bunch of other forum posts and websites regarding them. They have good specs and reviews from what I saw.

Personally speaking they were a good decision. They look almost identical to the old wood windows we replaced in our home since we went with the grills on the outside (not a fan of the between the glass look). They made a big difference in the comfort of the room and they look really sharp. We kept a couple of the old windows that faced a sun room that are in good shape and you can't tell the difference with the look of the painted white window and the new vinyl windows.

For the rental we went with straightforward Okna 500 series windows. The tenants couldn't be happier - it lessened the street noise, less drafty, operate correctly.

No matter how great a window you have you need a quality installer. Try to find one that uses that low expansion spray foam installation to fill the voids around the window - that seems like the consensus as the best way to go and makes a big difference in the performance of the windows.

I could tell you the name of my installer if you send me DM or have any other questions.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:14 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
Although not in your area we also used Window World and they were great. I had 20 windows done including double hung, side sliders, awning windows and casement and have only needed 1 adjustment on one latch that it. The installation took one day and there was no mess left when they were done.

We have a 1961 Center Hall Colonial with poor/weak insulation, since installation our electric/gas bill is at least a 1/3 less in every season and I don't hear the road noise anymore. Like NYTom I had several quotes and I had spent years looking, this was the best value. If I lived in a 7 figure home on the ocean I would consider a higher grade windows but for an older home in a development I couldn't have made a better choice.

Good Luck

Old 01-15-2015, 11:33 AM

54 posts, read 251,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
If I lived in a 7 figure home on the ocean I would consider a higher grade windows but for an older home in a development I couldn't have made a better choice.
This is a great point also! Know your house value and how long you plan to own it - do you really want to bust the bank on windows if you plan on trading up or moving in a few years? We all want the best but there is no universally "right" windows for every home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island