Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 04:15 AM

5 posts, read 20,595 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

First off I am not looking to make up some excuse to fight the ticket, I'm a month past my inspection expiration date, I know the fault is my own. But from a bit of research I have learned that in some cases they will dismiss the ticket (though you still have to pay the ticket processing fee) if you get it inspected right away and provide proof.

I parked my car at the Copiague train station Friday night, and I didn't come back until early Sunday morning. The officer wrote the ticket Saturday at 9am. If I am able to find someone to do it today (Monday), I will get my car inspected. Since it will be over 48 hours from when I got the ticket, do you think it is worth trying? I know it is diffeent for each town, so maybe someone on here has experience with this and the Town of Babylon?

Also, if I am to do that how would I go about doing that? Do I plead not guilty and appear in court, or can this be done through mail?

Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 10:10 AM

246 posts, read 467,483 times
You might as well do it anyway and show the intern. Write/fight and state that the days you were to get it inspected, you were snowed in.

That said,
I once got a ticket like that in Astoria Queens. The inspection expired less than 24 hours. I got it inspected the same day and the ticket was dismissed.

Good luck. Do it today regardless. Show your intent regardless.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:19 AM

414 posts, read 805,262 times
Seeing as how you are a month late, and not a day or 2, your chances are probably decreased in getting it excused.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:56 AM

863 posts, read 2,100,181 times
I was able to get it reduced. I am not sure if they will for a month but you need to get it done so why not try anyway

Old 02-02-2015, 12:39 PM

Thank you everyone, I'm about to go for the inspection. So how would I go about doing this? Do I have to plead not guilty and send them money for the administration fee, then I have to go to court? And is there any consequences if I lose the fight (pay more, points even though it's a parking ticket, ect)? Never got one of these before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
Seeing as how you are a month late, and not a day or 2, your chances are probably decreased in getting it excused.
I would assume I have a chance with one month (not to mention I've been out of state for the past week and a half). Of course if it was a lengthier amount of time I would think they wouldn't be so forgiving, but I thought it mattered more about how long you took to get it inspected after you got the ticket. If I get it taken care of today I hope a little over 48 hours is still acceptable.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:23 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,791,104 times
Call the court. I got it inspected the next day then called & told them and asked what to do. They said just send in the $30 admin fee and I'm done. They'll likely be able to tell you if you're ok with it being a month past.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Call the court. I got it inspected the next day then called & told them and asked what to do. They said just send in the $30 admin fee and I'm done. They'll likely be able to tell you if you're ok with it being a month past.
I got it inspected yesterday and just called today. The person on the phone said they used to do that, but not anymore. I can plead not guilty and come in for a conference to try to get it reduced, but they can't dismiss, according to her. Were you dealing with the Town of Babylon as well? I assume each town will be different with this kind of thing. Also, did you say anything special besides explaining that you got it inspected right after receiving the ticket? If our situations are the same, and we're dealing with the same town, then maybe employees there all don't have the same stance on it. I'm going to call back tomorrow and see if I get someone else. If I do and they say the same thing, I think I'll just pay it.

Thanks so much!

Old 02-04-2015, 01:58 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,791,104 times
^ no it was in Town of Oyster Bay but really Nassau court. How much is the ticket? If you show up to court, I'm not sure they can plea you down that much more anyway. I had a $130 parking ticket plead down to something like $60 total once. I think my inspection ticket was $90 to start. It may not be worth your time.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:48 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,487,030 times
Inspections are not correctable tickets. But if you plea NOT GUILTY and have free time you can go down to court and plea for a lesser fine. Much cheaper to just pay it IMO.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:28 AM

Yea it's $100 + a $25 administration fee. Probably not worth it if I only have a chance to get it reduced a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island