Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 11:42 PM

115 posts, read 134,038 times

Advertisements

Wondering about using Freecycle - someone suggesting joining Queens & Suffolk as the Nassau moderators are clods. No experience with Freecycle at all but it seems like a good thing. Anybody shed some light?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 06:43 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
No personal experience but know of some folks that did. Your experience will only be as good as the people involved. Since these descriptions are subjective (free or not, something poorly described yields bad results).

Old 02-16-2015, 03:53 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
I used to be on Suffolk Freecycle a lot. I've given away some great things when I was moving and I've gotten some amazing items from others.

Keep in mind, it's only a group and the moderators can only control what is posted --- they cannot control the people. For example, someone may offer you a free item. When you meet up with them, it may not be what was posted OR they may try to get money from you. This has NEVER happened to me --- I'm just making up an example. Also, someone may respond to your post, promising to pick up an item and then never show up. This happens often. People just flake out for some reason.

For the most part, I would say my experience on Freecycle was 99.9% great. That .1% was just a couple of flakes who never bothered to show up to pick up items when they promised they would be there.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
I gave away a number of good items on Freecycle. Last time I gave something away -- large windows which were like new -- I warned the recipient he would need a truck and someone strong in addition to himself. He showed up with a minivan and a preteen. I asked him to move the items around the one side through the grass, he went to the opposite across the driveway, shattering one of the windows all over the driveway and cutting himself in the process. After that experience my husband said, "No more."

Old 02-16-2015, 07:30 PM

562 posts, read 1,058,442 times
Most of my LI Freecycle experiences (Suffolk) were good. The only annoying things I experienced were: no-shows; a person spamming me by putting my personal email on her Avon and Scentsy mailing lists (she was eventually kicked out of the Freecycle group); and one time where I drove from Islip to Deer Park and the person hadn't left the item on her porch as promised.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:16 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
I've been a member of both the Nassau and Western Suffolk Freecycle going on 10 years now and have to echo what's already been said.
For the most part, it works well, with no-shows only an occasional problem. Same when you go to pick up an item - sometimes another freecycler picks up more than s/he is supposed to and you could find yourself making a trip for nothing.

I've had occasion to give away some great items left behind by homeowners when selling their home: from very nice furniture to 8-piece place settings of white china from Bloomies, and everything in between. Have also been able to find a home for some of my "excess" perennials as well as other items I no longer want/need.

On the receiving end, my favorite "freebie" was a brand new leather Coach bag

As was pointed out, the moderators have no control over the condition of the items. It's more common now that photos of the offered items are included - makes it easier to decide if it's worth the trip. Communications with the other party is important--some people don't take the time to read all requirements regarding pick-up, etc.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:36 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times
I've been a freecycler for years now, and give far more than I take. The most annoying problem for me is people responding to my post, and then not following up my request they confirm they're coming for the item. This causes screw-ups and occasionally multiple people come for the same item. Sometimes I get so fed up with the hassle I delete my offer post and bring the item to a thrift shop.

Sometimes you can get excellent stuff that nobody wants. I got a bunch of useful paint odds and ends and turpentine. That stuff is expensive.

My most inane freecycling event: I was offered a clothing item and given a home address to get it. She gave me the wrong address for her home, so I couldn't find the house. Can you believe someone would mess up her own home address? She apologized, but I declined to make a second trip.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:20 PM

115 posts, read 134,038 times
Forget about it as they say - joined - lousy experience. Anything decent is gone almost before the post comes out. I guess people do nothing all day but sit and watch the posts then get in their car and race over to grab the stuff. I actually asked one guy - how is this gone already and he tells me it was someone he had a relationship and who takes most of his stuff. Oh that's nice - nobody else has a chance then so why don't you just call this woman up and offer it to her instead of posting it. Then I posted some stuff and people were asking questions about it like they inspecting it for auction - seriously people its free. If you don't like then recycle it. Not for me. I guess you need to be part of the in crowd to score anything good and have the patience of a saint to gift anything decent. Grubby people to sell online.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:57 PM

562 posts, read 1,058,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatingforabuck View Post
Forget about it as they say - joined - lousy experience. Anything decent is gone almost before the post comes out. I guess people do nothing all day but sit and watch the posts then get in their car and race over to grab the stuff. I actually asked one guy - how is this gone already and he tells me it was someone he had a relationship and who takes most of his stuff. Oh that's nice - nobody else has a chance then so why don't you just call this woman up and offer it to her instead of posting it. Then I posted some stuff and people were asking questions about it like they inspecting it for auction - seriously people its free. If you don't like then recycle it. Not for me. I guess you need to be part of the in crowd to score anything good and have the patience of a saint to gift anything decent. Grubby people to sell online.
See if you have a Buy Nothing group nearby. I recently joined my local one and have had a far better experience.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:46 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,516 times
I've had a decent experience on the site itself. However, I've seen the items reported on CL for sale after I was given a BS poverty story. Particularly with expensive baby formula. I gave it away to someone who supposedly had a NICU baby, etc...they resold the formula for $400 or $500 the next day (I forget).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island