Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 11:01 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,889,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It's no secret that Long Island is one of the most segregated places in the country. You're not making a major coup uncovering the dirty underbelly to LI school districts here. Most people are pretty up front about what they are after as well.
I actually think that some parts of Long Island are doing a good job integrating. There are so many diverse school systems of the island nowadays:

- Valley Stream, Sewanhaka, Baldwin, Malverne, Port Washington, Freeport, Glen Cove, Great Neck, Roosevelt, Lawrence, Hempstead, Westbury, W.Hempstead, Hicksville, Uniondale, Farmingdale, Island Park, Herricks, New Hyde Park-Garden City Park

As for Suffolk:
- Copiague, Huntington, S.Huntington, N.Babylon, Half Hollow Hills, Deer Park, Patchogue-Medford, South Country, Southampton, Greenport, Wyandanch, Longwood, Bay Shore, Harborfields, Brentwood, Middle Island, Amityville, Riverhead, Central Islip, East Hampton, William Floyd

The only major spots with little diversity is Southeast Nassau and the north shore of Suffolk past Huntington.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 02-21-2015 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 11:07 AM

92,281 posts, read 122,548,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I actually think that some parts of Long Island are doing a good job integrating. There are so many diverse school systems of the island nowadays:

- Valley Stream, Sewanhaka, Baldwin, Malverne, Port Washington, Freeport, Manhasset, Great Neck, Roosevelt, Lawrence, Hempstead, Westbury, W.Hempstead, Hicksville, Uniondale, Farmingdale

As for Suffolk:
- Copiague, Huntington, S.Huntington, N.Babylon, Half Hollow Hills, Deer Park, South Country, Wyandanch, Longwood, Bay Shore, Harborfields, Brentwood, Middle Island, Amityville, Riverhead, Central Islip
Aren't a couple like Roosevelt and Wyandanch the SD's with the highest percentages of Black residents and students in the state? I can see the rest of them though.

What about Greenport, Center Moriches and some of the districts in the Hamptons? Roslyn?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-21-2015 at 11:32 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 11:07 AM

483 posts, read 667,376 times
Quote:
Wyandanch is actually pretty diverse..and keep in mind that this doesn't even include the undocumented population:

You're right about Wantagh... extremely homogenous along with the rest of Southeast Nassau (except for E.Mass in Amity SD):
Good point on Wyandanch. I wonder if those Wantagh stats include Levittown Wantagh.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:16 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,889,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Aren't a couple like Roosevelt and Wyandanch the SD's with the highest percentages of Black residents and students? I can see the rest of them though.

What about Greenport, Center Moriches and some of the districts in the Hamptons? Roslyn?
I probably missed some.

Here are the blackest areas of LI according to city-data (of course not including black sub-sections of other towns):

Lakeview: 76% black
Wyandanch: 63% black
Roosevelt: 61% black
North Amityville: 56% black
South Floral Park: 55% black
North Valley Stream:: 54% black
Wheatley Heights: 53% black
Uniondale: 52% black
Gordon Heights: 50% black
Hempstead: 47% black
Elmont: 45% black

A lot of the originally black areas of LI have had HUGE influxes of hispanics. I think both Wyandanch's and Roosevelt's school systems are majority hispanic nowadays..

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 02-21-2015 at 11:40 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 01:15 PM

5,011 posts, read 3,910,928 times
Quote:

- Valley Stream, Sewanhaka, Baldwin, Malverne, Port Washington, Freeport, Glen Cove, Great Neck, Roosevelt, Lawrence, Hempstead, Westbury, W.Hempstead, Hicksville, Uniondale, Farmingdale, Island Park, Herricks, New Hyde Park-Garden City Park

As for Suffolk:
- Copiague, Huntington, S.Huntington, N.Babylon, Half Hollow Hills, Deer Park, Patchogue-Medford, South Country, Southampton, Greenport, Wyandanch, Longwood, Bay Shore, Harborfields, Brentwood, Middle Island, Amityville, Riverhead, Central Islip, East Hampton, William Floyd

The only major spots with little diversity is Southeast Nassau and the north shore of Suffolk past Huntington.
Interestingly, Syosset is also very 'diverse' (69% white). Jericho is also very 'diverse' (56% white), etc. Sometimes diverse is a code word for a large black population. In that case, Syosset and Jericho are not diverse.

Harborfields (on your list) is 83% white so I don't know if I would call that diverse.
Wyandanch (on your list) is all black and Hispanic - no Asians and no whites. Don't know if that is diverse.
Brentwood (on your list) is 78% Hispanic so I don't know if I would call that diverse.

I've always found the word 'diverse' to be problematic.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:25 PM

483 posts, read 667,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Interestingly, Syosset is also very 'diverse' (69% white). Jericho is also very 'diverse' (56% white), etc. Sometimes diverse is a code word for a large black population. In that case, Syosset and Jericho are not diverse.

Harborfields (on your list) is 83% white so I don't know if I would call that diverse.
Wyandanch (on your list) is all black and Hispanic - no Asians and no whites. Don't know if that is diverse.
Brentwood (on your list) is 78% Hispanic so I don't know if I would call that diverse.

I think OP meant for just about all types to be fairly comfortable. From a child of Black lawyers to a child of White plumbers or Asian store owners

Old 02-21-2015, 02:25 PM

92,281 posts, read 122,548,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
I think OP meant for just about all types to be fairly comfortable. From a child of Black lawyers to a child of White plumbers or Asian store owners
^This....... Honestly, this isn't a "loaded" thread, but it is just to gauge what districts/areas could appeal to a wide range of people. It isn't necessarily about percentages, but there should be a "notable" amount of a group.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-21-2015 at 02:44 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 07:27 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,325,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post

Jericho has become very diverse compared to years ago.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:09 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,797,095 times
Massapequa

Old 02-22-2015, 08:40 AM

570 posts, read 1,211,043 times
Being diverse doesn't mean that you have a huge percentage of one population and a smaller pop. of maybe one other group.

Huntington and South Huntington are both very similar in their diversity and have many different groups of racial or culturally different students.

Harborfields may have a few odd numbers of kids that are other than white, but I do not consider them diverse because of a couple of students who are not white.

Districts like Manhasset or Half Hollow Hills seem to have attracted a bigger Asian population and have a few blacks or others. Again, not very diverse.

Having all types of students being accepted by others is what makes a district's diversity work well. Perhaps being black or Hispanic in a place like Cold Spring Harbor isn't so great and you wouldn't necessarily be accepted or included since you might not be able to meet the income standards some students place on their friends, sorry to say. Same with a place like Roosevelt or Hempstead, if you're white you will probably be at a huge disadvantage and not accepted at all. That's kids for you. Though by high school you'd assume or hope that they'd get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island