Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 08:08 AM

246 posts, read 470,392 times

Advertisements

We currently have an existing electric wall over and stove top.

The wall oven died (over a year ago) and I was going to hit a scratch and dent place, just to find a replacement that may last us 2-3 yrs until we do the kitchen.

BUT..

rather than just replace the electric wall oven, we are open to gas, since our block is looking to convert in the near future. I was thinking if I could find a wall oven than runs on Natural gas and propane, I could kill 2 birds and prepare for the future conversion. I am thinking that I could use propane for the oven UNTIL we convert to gas.

My understanding is that if I buy my propane tanks, I can at least buy from whoever I want. DOwn the road, I think having those same propane tanks available for possible generator use could also help.

Does my thinking out loud here makes sense?

But is propane a LOT more expensive than electric?

Thank you in advance for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 08:33 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
I can give you a little insight from a former NY'er who was used to natural gas. I am in an all electric home. Top of the line stove with electric and I HATE it. We do have a propane fire place and it would be about $2000 for us to bring the line to the stove, and then a new stove. In my mind well worth it, so dh doesn't have to listen to me moan and complain about having to clean the cooktop every night. We do not have access to natural gas. Propane is expensive here, but again I was still willing to go for it. The reason I am still with electric is that everyone who converted to propane for cooking told me that it is different than natural gas. I still don't understand how, but every last one of them who, like I, came from natural gas did not think the change was worth it. They all stated that it was no better than their electric as it apparently burns hotter than natural gas so you face the same cooking challenges. I have learned the two burner method of cooking and purchased new pots and I am living with the electric but I still prefer my good old natural gas.

Regardless of cost what is your personal preference for cooking? gas? electric?

Old 02-21-2015, 10:50 AM

755 posts, read 1,079,353 times
What's the benefit for a gas oven? A gas stove I can understand. But when baking and roasting, exact temperature is more important. Also, if adding convection capabilities, cooking time is loads faster. I would not spend anything romotely close to 2k to run a propane line for an oven. Adding that budget to an electric oven and you can get any name brand out there. Or even end up saving that 2k towards that future dream kitchen.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I still don't understand how, but every last one of them who, like I, came from natural gas did not think the change was worth it. They all stated that it was no better than their electric as it apparently burns hotter than natural gas so you face the same cooking challenges.

Regardless of cost what is your personal preference for cooking? gas? electric?
And that is why I post here! Thanks for your insight. Having only had experience with propane in my last home, I did enjoy being able to use my stovetop oven whenever the power went out (ie.Hurricane Sandy) It seemed better compared to electric, anyway, in terms of reliability. But I had no real clue as to propane's benefits over NG. But I am open to NG and assuming we will convert our heat (at the least) to NG in the next few years, so I wanted to try and plan accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
What's the benefit for a gas oven?
I was only under the impression to get all of the appliances ready for NG in the future.
The only great benefit of a gas over is reliability when the electric goes out IMHO

Old 02-21-2015, 05:31 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
If your street is converting to gas, buy gas appliances. Get by with whatever you have for the time being. I grew up with electric and have had gas ranges/ovens since my first apartment. I prefer gas over electric for cooking and baking as I find it more responsive when I adjust temperatures.

My vacation home has electric. I haven't converted that stove to lp because I have a whole house generator and don't want to add the additional expense of running lines, venting, and replacing appliances in a place with 1) much cheaper electric rates; 2) I use infrequently. If I were to retire there, I would convert in a heartbeat.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:05 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,985,772 times
I hate gas ovens........the heat is never constant...baking is either overdone or underdone.

Gas cooktops are okay......but gas ovens..........hate them.

Look at all the fancy kitchens...........they'll stick a huge Viking/or other pricey gas range in there...........and then add electric/convection wall oven(s).

Of interest.. the net-zero (or close to) new homes I've been looking at have induction cooktops and electric/convection wall ovens.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:24 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I hate gas ovens........the heat is never constant...baking is either overdone or underdone.

Gas cooktops are okay......but gas ovens..........hate them.

Look at all the fancy kitchens...........they'll stick a huge Viking/or other pricey gas range in there...........and then add electric/convection wall oven(s).

Of interest.. the net-zero (or close to) new homes I've been looking at have induction cooktops and electric/convection wall ovens.
Actually the top of the line ovens are dual fuel with the cooktop using gas and the oven(s) electric.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:14 AM

592 posts, read 919,133 times
Gas cooktop (wok and roll!), electric oven is the way to go.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:24 AM

Thanks for all the input. Since there is no hard timeline as to when we will convert to gas and we can't get the right sized oven for the current space, going to make do for now. Thank you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island