Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 10:52 AM

481 posts, read 665,493 times

Advertisements

Some part of Mineola is just ok but most part are pretty good. Their school is good too. They are building a lot of new apartment around train station and those area are pretty safe. I personally commute from Mineola for 7 years. You can't beat the convenient of parking at the train station and train schedule compare to other towns.

Saving bigger down payment is the key. We didn't so our mortgage payment is on the higher side. But to save more, it's easy when you are single or as couple. Once you have kids, it's very hard to save up since childcare on LI is pretty high.

Somebody mentioned Bellmore is a good area to live and you get direct train to Atlantic Terminal as well. I personally don't know that area but my prev coworker lives there. So, it shouldn't be too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 01:26 PM

131 posts, read 332,640 times
There is a rental garden apt complex in Roslyn called Flower Gardens. You can get a 2 bedroom there within your budget (they are renovated) and you can walk to both the train and the daycare that is right next to the Roslyn train station called The Growing Tree North. The Rolsyn train is on the Oyster Bay line which means you can switch at Jamaica to go to Brooklyn or Penn Station.

This will also put your child in Roslyn schools, which are excellent, when they are in K.

Sounds like this would fit all of your criteria.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm7 View Post
Some part of Mineola is just ok but most part are pretty good. Their school is good too. They are building a lot of new apartment around train station and those area are pretty safe. I personally commute from Mineola for 7 years. You can't beat the convenient of parking at the train station and train schedule compare to other towns.

Saving bigger down payment is the key. We didn't so our mortgage payment is on the higher side. But to save more, it's easy when you are single or as couple. Once you have kids, it's very hard to save up since childcare on LI is pretty high.

Somebody mentioned Bellmore is a good area to live and you get direct train to Atlantic Terminal as well. I personally don't know that area but my prev coworker lives there. So, it shouldn't be too bad.
That's what's hard to do, especially considering he is planning to more than double his rent payment if he moves to LI ($1,200 to $2,500). On their combined salary, with childcare, how much can they realistically save and how long will it take them? It might be better for him to look into the option of a low downpayment loan like FHA 3-1/2% instead. Yes I know there's an extra charge like mortgage insurance since they don't have 20% equity, but it will be much less than the differences in the rents ($2,500-$1,200=$1,300), they will be getting tax breaks renters don't and they will have an investment instead of just handing money over to the landlord for HIS investment. If their incomes are steady and don't fluctuate wildly from time to time, they might be better off with a low downpayment mortgage. If he looks around and gets something where he can have a mortgage payment (PITI) that is at or maybe slightly higher than $2,500 it may be a better choice than paying high rent and never possibly being able to save for a 20% downpayment.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:25 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times
I'd look into island Trees/Levittown schools. Good SD and there are a lot of rentals. Purchases prices are low if you're handy. Plenty of shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island