Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,048 times

Advertisements

It's time to get rid of my gas guzzler truck and I've been investigating a green car since I commute daily from Dix Hills (LIE Exit 50) to the Bronx (via LIE -> CIP -> some bridge) during peak rush hour(s).

As with all commutes on the LIE your mileage and time may vary based upon way too many variables but I must admit that elusive HOV lane always looks like it's moving steadily.

I've scoured the forum and nothing conclusive or current exists.

I am really interested in real life feedback from HOV users (either 2+ occupancy or green car). What is the real benefit of the HOV lane usage?

Please respond with some averages, actual time savings and honest opinion on the value of HOV.

Appreciate everyone's help on this one!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 07:10 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,658 times
I've been driving prius' since early 2008 because of the hov lane. I live at exit 68 and was commuting to massapequa in 2008. I started my own business shortly are that. Now I travel to duchess county once a month, NYC a few times a month,plus all over LI.
I can tell you that from NYC to exit 64 here it ends it can save me up to 20 minutes one way.
I will never drive a car without a clean pass again! It's such a better ride!
My Prius ( this is my second) is so good on gas. I get 50mpg in the summer and 43mpg in the winter.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:49 AM

177 posts, read 365,100 times
Agree with above poster. I have had my Prius since 2007 and now have 225k miles with no issues.

I use the HOV lane from where it starts in Suffolk to exit 50 and it saves me at least 20 min each way, even more heading east on on a Friday afternoon in the summer. It has been totally worth it and cannot imagine doing that commute now without a Cleanpass sticker!

I do not see how you would regret it after you get to cruise along while everyone else is at a standstill.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:24 AM

51 posts, read 222,477 times
Had a prius for 5 years, now have the honda accord hybrid (amazing car) which is clean pass - not nearly the gas mileage as the prius but the prius really sucks to drive and the accord is like a luxury car.

HOV time saving, was better years back, now its a bit of a crap shoot. I suppose it depends on what time you are driving in it.

Between the hours of 6-7 am, the early morning commute, a lot of times it looks better than it is, especially in the rain in which case everything sucks. I have many times gotten out and tried to regular lanes to find it was just as quick or quicker. Or you get in the HOV lane and make a note of a standout vehicle, like a huge tractor trailer painted neon green, and at some point later on you see it pass you. So for the AM commute, it can be good sometimes, but often its not. I rarely even use it in the AM anymore as I have found northern to be better almost every day, and other side roads (old country) can really be good at times.

I have an early PM commute, 3:30-4 ish. The time savings seem better here. Again it can be a crap shoot, but you often can fly through some big bottlenecks like around willis ave or near 106-107. Maybe later in the PM this is less the case.

All being said its a nice option to have, but it often appears better than it actually is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: