Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 07:32 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times

Advertisements

As someone mentioned, check the lease carefully. If there really is no clause forcing you to get W2W carpet, the landlord has nothing on you. It sounds like he wants you to carpet his apartment for him.

Go out to a carpet store. Pick a really nice carpet you like. Get a written quote, including installation. Drop it off to the landlord and tell him to let you know when he is going to have it installed. Thank him for being kind enough to carpet the entire apartment for you.

Next time you get a call about noise, ask "what noise?" Are the folks downstairs recording the sounds? Are they documenting the level of noise? Most likely not. I can't imagine someone walking softly upstair making enough noise to truly be a nuisance... unless there is a defect in the building which makes normal noises into unreasonable ones.

Stand your ground. Don't be pushed around. Never show anger or make threats of any kind. When you are in the right, you can remain calm and let the others lose their cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 09:16 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAVYSTEPPERLOL View Post
Hello everybody,

Sorry for the long message

I am a 25 year old graduate student(cybersecurity), who has just moved out of his parent's house for the first time. I am situated in a two story apartment

with wooden floors in Port Washington, and have been for the last 2 months now. I would say I am a good tenant. I don't throw parties, I rarely have

people over, and if I do it is never more than two at a time. I am clean, and keep the apartment very clean and free of damages. I am also a 260 pound

powerlifter with allegedly a heavy footstep. I do not wear shoes in my apartment and try to to tip toe around at night. My buddy is a contractor and said

the floors were horribly insulated,the building is old) The floors are wooden, so after the

downstairs neighbor (a Jewish couple in their early 50's both going through a divorce apparently, they are only in the apartment 3 nights out of the week

as they use it to have the affair) complained to the landlord multiple times, I had to take action. I covered way more than 70 percent of my little studio

apartment in very nice area rugs. I am a semi broke grad student and that hurt, but I don't want to be a selfish noisy neighbor. I put carpeting under my couch, the foot of my bed, outside my bathroom, and ran runners that span the pathway of the highest traffic area(the path that takes you to my

kitchen, bed, or bathroom). I left some areas without carpet because I either don't walk in those areas....or there is furniture that doesn't move. Low and

behold.....more complaints. Every 3 days, the landlord blows my phone up. I let him come in, he says "not even close, you need more." The next week the

downstairs neighbors complain again of, "footsteps moving back and forth." It is important to note that they aren't complaining of banging, or parties, they

are legitimately having the landlord harass me over footsteps at hours past 12 am. Yes, I admit, I have a huge workload with work and school. As, a grad

student in computer security alot of nights I am up late and have to be at my apartment. I have a very large server in my apartment that I run algorithms

on. I got fed up last week and stopped answering the property manager of the complex. He left me voice-mails every day. Only saying, "Management, call me back." Very obscure messages and never any written notices. He sent maintenance men to my

apartment without giving me notice and they tried to enter. Is that trespassing? I had a secondary door lock on my door,and I believe they thought no on

was home. I woke up to them jiggling their keys in the door. I feel harassed , and I get anxiety that random workers are going to invade my privacy at any

time. I am a very large human being, sometimes I wear headphones in my apartment. I am nervous they are going to unlock my door and barge right in and

I will get startled put them through a wall and then get arrested.(I do have my front door under IP CAM surveillance, with alerts) Anyhow, the landlord

wants me to get wall to wall carpeting, he says it is in the lease. I read the lease and it does not say that at all. I can't afford this right now , but he calls

every day asking when it will be done, but I don't want to get evicted. These people won't communicate with me. I saw my neighbors 30 minutes ago in

the parking lot and(I wish I was making this up) they ran.....speed jogged away from me and squirried like chipmunks into the building. I tried to say Hello.. Do I bite the bullet and get wall to
wall? Do I fight back and say it is 70 percent covered now leave me be? Do I bring up the maintenance trespassing(they are trying to check on the status
of the carpet)? If I do get the carpet installed, and they still complain about footsteps....what do I do? Is there a noise ordinance I need to know about? Should I tell them to get a decibel reader and then shove the results up their hind? I don't want to get evicted over "annoying noises" as it is so nebulously defined in the lease. This sucks I'm getting anxiety over this stuff.Also, confused: other upstairs tenants don't have any carpeting or very little.....? Also, no cats in lease but one of the employees for the building management team has a cat and is also a tenant? wutmate, they don't seem to enforce the lease unequivocally. Sorry for the long message and I appreciate any replies.
Go to the village. Make sure he has all permits for renting. If he doesn't, then get the hell out of their. No lease is valid if the apartment is illegal.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:18 PM

414 posts, read 808,699 times
Im calling this is a BS post. Far too many single posts with a long drawn out story. Must be someone from CD trying to keep activity going.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:36 PM

88 posts, read 126,297 times
If you believe OP's post then I have a nice stone bridge to sell you in Brooklyn at a good price. He posted this and is laughing.

By the way I am single white female that likes to walk around in my stiletto heels after work but this appears to be annoying my gypsie neighbors during their palm reading sessions. What should I do? I honestly like living there but when I happen to see them they gather their clan and jump into their horse and buggy. Any advise?

Old 03-26-2015, 12:45 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
OP posted on the 17th today is the 26th and no sign of him, I don't think he's checking what people are writing......

Old 03-27-2015, 02:29 PM

294 posts, read 879,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
I doubt he is scared of anyone, let alone some old people.

I think the problem is that his parents raised him to respect other people and be a decent human being and when you deal with trash like his downstairs neighbors its a recipe for being taken advantage of.

When I was first out on my own, I had the same kind of problems. I had to learn to identify when someone was trying to get over on me and then I switch the ahole switch. This young man just needs to find his inner ahole and voila, problem solved.
Early 50's is "old people"? ouch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island