Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 50,240 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
Just looking for some comparisons. My latest oil bill was - gasp $856!!! That's a small mortgage in and of itself.

I own an older home with four bedrooms, an unfinished basement and vinyl siding. Can I get some general comparisons for what people with gas heat are paying right now a month? I'm seriously considering biting the bullet and converting, knowing that next year will be a tough one for us financially.

Any other insite is also appreciated. I already know gas heat is cleaner in general; at this point it's all about my monthly bills....

Thanks!
Going Broke in LI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 11:37 AM

28 posts, read 152,397 times
it might be cheaper to convert to gas. if your current oil burner is old and not efficient, a new one would save you in the long run. If you are going to replace the oil burner, you might want to consider gas for the simple reason is you never run out. you will pay a few thousand dollars to convert depending on how much the plumber needs to change.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:38 AM

28 posts, read 152,397 times
sorry, i meant it might not be cheaper

Old 01-13-2008, 06:12 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
There are sooo many variables here that can come in to play. When you say "older house" was it built before the energy conservation code?(No insulation or very little). Is your oil burner efficient? Have you had it maintained & clean every year? Are you using a set back temperature at night time? Those couple of degrees can save a bundle.
I would look into these couple of things before changing a system!!

Old 01-13-2008, 06:26 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
I have a 3BR house that isn't insulated that great (the windows seem cheap), and my husband CRANKS the heat (drives me nuts). Our highest bill ever was $275. w/ balanced billing we pay $125/mo for the entire year, so a yearly cost of $1500

Old 01-13-2008, 06:49 PM

99 posts, read 729,892 times
yeah I use about 900 Gallons of oil every year...5 bedroom ranch-vinyl siding-couple of bow & bay windows & a fireplace that just sucks the heat right out of it. Dont know if i would convert to gas. I feel that the gas companys will just follow suit in the year to come & start charging a bit more. Try insulating & give that burner a good tuneup.Lower the therostat down when your not home & at night. Good Luck

Old 01-14-2008, 05:11 PM

672 posts, read 904,941 times
You will be hit with surcharges with gas heat (just like electric). This can (and will) increase from month to month depending on the price of crude oil (just like gasoline). At least with oil you price will not go up until you finish what is left in your tank. Last year winter my monthly gas heating bill was around $400 a month. I went on the budget system and had it spread out over the summer and fall months.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:14 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
How old is your house and oil tank?

If your oil tank is buried underground and its old, it can be an issue. I don't think LI lets u put new buried tanks. The new thing is put it in the side of your house or IN you house. That could be a contributing factor from switching from oil to gas.

Just something to think about.

I currently have oil & analyzed this many times. There are drawbacks of either gas or oil heating. The giant bill of oil at once seems like a shocker but its not as bad in the grand scheme of things compared to gas.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:50 PM

672 posts, read 904,941 times
Default We've had both oil and gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
How old is your house and oil tank?

If your oil tank is buried underground and its old, it can be an issue. I don't think LI lets u put new buried tanks. The new thing is put it in the side of your house or IN you house. That could be a contributing factor from switching from oil to gas.

Just something to think about.

I currently have oil & analyzed this many times. There are drawbacks of either gas or oil heating. The giant bill of oil at once seems like a shocker but its not as bad in the grand scheme of things compared to gas.
One year we got an oil contract where they agreed to freeze the price for one full year if we took out a service contract with them. That worked out very well since that winter the prices went through the roof and we got our shipments at the old spring prices.

The most you will get from the gas company is that they will give you a new, free burner if you convert from oil to gas. Now, if you needed a new burner, at all, its a good deal, since at the very least a new burner will be more efficient. However, that will not stop your bills from going up every month with the "increased costs associated with doing business", which is their new PC term for SURCHARGES.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:36 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Spoke with Keyspan today about getting gas service. If you live within 100ft of an existing gas line...then they will extend that to your home at no cost. Anything over 100ft is $65 a foot!!! Yikes. Being 1800 ft away from the nearest line I do not think I'll be converting any time soon!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island