Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 09:04 PM

15 posts, read 21,396 times

Advertisements

As you can see from my previous post. I'm moving to NY from SoCAL!!!!!!. I have never been to NY before and I'm so confused..... So basically my partner will be a Professor at Farmingdale State College. I think I found the perfect apartment. It is located at 100 Stonegate Way Middle Island, NY 11953. It looks nice and is affordable. I do not have a job, and I suppose it could take me a year to find a job. So as long as it is a reasonable commute to Farmingdale we are good. More about what we like. We like areas that are less congested and have a big box store near by, some noise is OK, no kids so school district doesnt matter. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!:confu sed::c rying:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 12:04 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrophy2013 View Post
As you can see from my previous post. I'm moving to NY from SoCAL!!!!!!. I have never been to NY before and I'm so confused..... So basically my partner will be a Professor at Farmingdale State College. I think I found the perfect apartment. It is located at 100 Stonegate Way Middle Island, NY 11953. It looks nice and is affordable. I do not have a job, and I suppose it could take me a year to find a job. So as long as it is a reasonable commute to Farmingdale we are good. More about what we like. We like areas that are less congested and have a big box store near by, some noise is OK, no kids so school district doesnt matter. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!:confu sed::c rying:
It's a hike to Farmingdale, because it's literally mid island and no where near the parkways or trains. The further east you go on the island the further you are from parkways mid island. He would have to take Rte 83 or Rte 112 all the way down to the Long Island Expressway and take that to Farmingdale. You're looking at a 50-60 min drive without traffic. Much more in rush hour. My cousin lives there. It's a VERY diverse neighborhood. The town is trying to go through a regentrification. She loves that because she's white and her hubby is black. The area you are looking at is decent. Don't go south onto Middle Country Rd there for your shopping. Crackheads roaming streets with shopping carts. I'd suggest you go north to Miller Place for shopping, west to Rte 112 in Coram for shopping, or if you are going to go south to Middle Country for shopping, head west into Selden to shop. Have you looked into Holtsville/Holbrook/Farmingville? They're right off the LIE (expressway).

Old 03-20-2015, 12:55 AM

Thank you!

The closer to Farmingdale would be better!

However, I'm finding it difficult to locate an apartment that's not a basement for under $2k per month.

The main requirements is for the apartment to have a washer and dryer in the unit. We have lived last few years in SD in graduate student housing and I cannot stand shared laundry facilities.

It seems that most of the properties for rent on Long Island are either houses or basement apartments. The problem for us is we don't have time to keep up a house, yard, garden etc. And we do not want to rent a house and be known as the people with the ugly yard.

Thanks!

Old 03-20-2015, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Thank you!

However, I'm finding it difficult to locate an apartment that's not a basement for under $2k per month.

The main requirements is for the apartment to have a washer and dryer in the unit. We have lived last few years in SD in graduate student housing and I cannot stand shared laundry facilities.

It seems that most of the properties for rent on Long Island are either houses or basement apartments. The problem for us is we don't have time to keep up a house, yard, garden etc. And we do not want to rent a house and be known as the people with the ugly yard.

Thanks!
Sure! Holtsville has a couple of great complexes that are right off exit 62 on the Expressway. In your price range. You've got a multiplex movie theater and restaurants there, and Sunrise Hwy to shop. PM me if you want!

Old 03-20-2015, 03:15 AM

[quote=mlbrophy2013;38886029]Thank you!

Thanks![/QUOTE

There's also a gorgeous apartment complex in Bayshore called Chelsea Place. $1675 for one bedroom. Includes water and trash. Washer dryer hook up in your own unit, and u can get cheap washer dryer on craigslist. Some have washer dryer already in it. Plus, it's a duplex, so the bedroom is on the second floor. Literally 12 miles from Farmingdale, about a 20 minute drive. The complex looks like Charleston town homes. So cute. Right by train too if you ever want to head in NYC, 40 minutes. You're also right by Fire Island Ferry. Downtown village is right there too. With gas and electric, you'll prob be right at $2000.

Last edited by iluvmycuties; 03-20-2015 at 03:35 AM..

Old 03-20-2015, 06:09 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:

Long Island is aptly named. It's long. I would not recommend anyplace as far as Middle Island with a partner who will be working at Farmingdale.

Farmingdale is centrally located, and convenient to many LI locations. Middle Island is remote and slightly rural. There is a Walmart there and many store front Fundamentalist churches. It's kind of gloomy.

I'd look into Holtsville, Holbrook, a few complexes and a good movie theater.

I know that Stony Brook University (also a part of SUNY) maintains a list of apartments and other rentals. The area around Stony Brook is progressive, but it can be pricy. it's worth a look though. I think you would like it and it's much less east (far) than Middle Island. Also, less depressing.

Farmingdale may also maintain a list of rentals for students and faculty.

Sayville is a charming Shore Shore village that is picturesque and has many cute shops and restaurants. It is well known as a Gay friendly - it is close to Fire Island also.
I am not sure if you are Gay, but you mentioned a partner, as opposed to a wife or husband.

Bay Shore does have some nice areas and since you do not have children, it might be worth a look. You also may want to check out Huntington Village, which has a movie theater that specializes in Foreign and independent films.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:55 AM

703 posts, read 1,173,938 times
You can try renting a condo. They usually have washers and dryers. Did you look on mlsli.com?

Old 03-20-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Long Island is aptly named. It's long. I would not recommend anyplace as far as Middle Island with a partner who will be working at Farmingdale.

Farmingdale is centrally located, and convenient to many LI locations. Middle Island is remote and slightly rural. There is a Walmart there and many store front Fundamentalist churches. It's kind of gloomy.

I'd look into Holtsville, Holbrook, a few complexes and a good movie theater.

I know that Stony Brook University (also a part of SUNY) maintains a list of apartments and other rentals. The area around Stony Brook is progressive, but it can be pricy. it's worth a look though. I think you would like it and it's much less east (far) than Middle Island. Also, less depressing.

Farmingdale may also maintain a list of rentals for students and faculty.

Sayville is a charming Shore Shore village that is picturesque and has many cute shops and restaurants. It is well known as a Gay friendly - it is close to Fire Island also.
I am not sure if you are Gay, but you mentioned a partner, as opposed to a wife or husband.

Bay Shore does have some nice areas and since you do not have children, it might be worth a look. You also may want to check out Huntington Village, which has a movie theater that specializes in Foreign and independent films.

I agree with all your towns except Stony Brook. It's North Shore, no where near transportation. It's 20 min just to drive down Nicolls to exit 62 on the LIE, then you're facing that huge commute into Farmingdale. Haulage may work too, it's right by the Northern State??

Old 03-20-2015, 06:12 PM

Thank you all!

I really appreciate your help. Bay Shore looks like our best bet right now. But I will keep looking. We have plenty of time to look. The town homes next to the train station look really nice.

Just a few more questions if any of you are still reading this:
1. Cheapest company to get internet? We don't need cable or home phone.

2. I can't figure out how much the the train cost :/ I have never been on public transportation etc... except for an airplane. How much should I expect to spend monthly on the train if I have to commute to NYC?

Thanks all,

Old 03-20-2015, 06:19 PM

592 posts, read 919,718 times
All of these out of towners have no idea what they are getting into, lol. Good luck OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island