Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 10:56 AM

19 posts, read 22,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Prices are creeping, we just saw a 3br 2.5 bath 1780sq ft split in Plainview sell for 499k. This house has a tiny backyard and Bathrooms and kitchen haven't been touched since 1970, plus it didn't have central air or baseboard heating. Unfortunately a good school district and good commute w/ 500k is tough. You can absolutely find smaller ranches or capes In Syosset and Plainview in that price range, yes they are surrounding Bethpage but those areas don't have water issues and they fit the bill for schools, commute and price(will need renovations)
Ugh...this is very frustrating and disappointing! If it weren't for the commute into NYC we would look into Suffolk.

Good Luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
What areas are you interested in? What are you looking for in a house (br/bath/sq feet/style?) I don't think the homes on the market are all junky, nor are they all overpriced. It is, admittedly, kind of a shock to realize what half a million dollars DOESN'T get you in parts of Nassau...
We are looking for good schools, commute into nyc, 4 bdrm 2baths (would even consider a 3bdrm).

Old 03-20-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Which towns are you avoiding other than Bethpage due to the plume? Have you looked at towns like Bellmore or Massapequa?

Look for sold homes and you'll see those with your criteria do exist.
We're avoiding Bethpage. Recently heard that Massapequa and Seaford areas were wise to avoid. We have looked at Bellmore, Merrick. nice areas but what is currently on the market doesn't appeal or we feels is overpriced

Old 03-20-2015, 11:13 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Lots of splits have no central air. I am stuck in a Split and with no basement and a one car garage the attic area you enter through a closet area that is five feet high is around 350 feet of storage area. Similar sized Splits with HVAC the attic space is taken up almost 100% by the HVAC stuff Hence no storage.

I HATE the fake Four bedrooms I go see, fourth bedroom jammed in a basement, converted porch or garage or in a hot attic. True four bedrooms (three sized bedrooms), Bathroom in the hallway and a Master Bedroom with its own bathroom plus two large closets is what I want. I can jam a fourth bedroom in like that but that is not what I want and which kid would want to sleep in a converted garage?

I hate the sideway houses, you know 70x100 where house is on a corner and backyard is the 70 foot deep side so it is like five feet deep, realtor then says you got two sideyards, but no privacy and stuff like pools, hottubs, sheds etc a lot of towns forbid them in side yards, plus you are in a fishbowl and you pay taxes on useless land.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Lots of splits have no central air. I am stuck in a Split and with no basement and a one car garage the attic area you enter through a closet area that is five feet high is around 350 feet of storage area. Similar sized Splits with HVAC the attic space is taken up almost 100% by the HVAC stuff Hence no storage.

I HATE the fake Four bedrooms I go see, fourth bedroom jammed in a basement, converted porch or garage or in a hot attic. True four bedrooms (three sized bedrooms), Bathroom in the hallway and a Master Bedroom with its own bathroom plus two large closets is what I want. I can jam a fourth bedroom in like that but that is not what I want and which kid would want to sleep in a converted garage?

I hate the sideway houses, you know 70x100 where house is on a corner and backyard is the 70 foot deep side so it is like five feet deep, realtor then says you got two sideyards, but no privacy and stuff like pools, hottubs, sheds etc a lot of towns forbid them in side yards, plus you are in a fishbowl and you pay taxes on useless land.
This is depressing....if a great opportunity OOS became available we would totally take it...unfortunately it's not that easy to relocate. Hoping someone puts a house on the market that's not insanely priced and a good fit for my family.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:36 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgirl15 View Post
We've been looking for a home in Nassau county with no luck. Our budget is $400-$500k. We want to stay away from the Bethpage area (and surrounding) due to the toxic plume. I feel like we have literally seen every house currently on the market. Having a good commute into NYC is important as well as great school district. I though with Spring here people who have been waiting to sell typically put their homes on the market. Do you think inventory will pick up soon? Come June it's time to renew our lease. We were looking forward to finding a home and paying $ towards a mortgage vs. Continuing to pay someone else.

Thanks!
Have you looked into New Hyde Park?

Old 03-20-2015, 11:40 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,198 times
Quote:
We're avoiding Bethpage. Recently heard that Massapequa and Seaford areas were wise to avoid. We have looked at Bellmore, Merrick. nice areas but what is currently on the market doesn't appeal or we feels is overpriced
With Bellmore and Merrick, you're partly paying for the name. The district is large but has an excellent reputation.

Seaford and Massapequa are smaller but also great. Why are they on the "areas to avoid" list?

Quote:
We are looking for good schools, commute into nyc, 4 bdrm 2baths (would even consider a 3bdrm).
The Babylon Line is my favorite recommendation: Merick, Bellmore, Wantagh, Seaford, Massapequa. Beware of flood zones, as annual flood insurance can add several thousand dollars to annual costs. North Merrick and North Bellmore would work well too. Merrick is 40 minutes into Penn Station, and each station east adds about 3 minutes.

Levittown and East Meadow would be slightly longer drives to a train station but would definitely have homes in your range. You could take trains out of Bellmore, Merrick, or Hicksvile.

Good luck!

Old 03-20-2015, 12:09 PM

260 posts, read 450,644 times
Look at Mineola, you'll find some great options within your budget. I have friends that recently closed on their house and they are very happy there and easy commute into manhattan or brooklyn.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:54 PM

Lynbrook is a super quick commute

Lynbrook to Atlantic Terminal
6:55 AM 7:27 AM 32 min

Lynbrook to Penn
6:48 AM 7:22 AM 34 mins Peak
6:54 AM 7:28 AM 34 mins Peak

My friend moved there as he had a limited budget, wanted good schools, wants to have dinner every night with family and help wife with kids in the morning.

Also he lives walking distance to train. He has only one car.

Now if both parents work, the short commute is a big money savers as you save on day care big time.

He takes the 7:57 AM every morning that gets in at 8:28 AM, Seaford you have to get up 30 minutes earlier each day. Plus not all towns have nice houses walking distance to train

Old 03-20-2015, 02:00 PM

116 Smith St, Lynbrook NY, 11563

$539,000
|
4 beds, 2 Full baths, 2,400 sqft
|
MLS# 2743553

something like this in Lynnbrook in the Lynbrook SD 20 walking distance from train is where my friend lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island