Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 08:47 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I actually can't stand wearing a heavy winter coat so my coat from October to April is a fleece jacket. I own several winter coats but hate it. I only wear gloves when I shovel snow. I hate scarves and hats too. I even hate driving with a coat on it annoys me. I'll start wearing my flip flops next month in hopes the weather will get warmer. It may seem strange to wear shorts in the winter but who are we to judge? I once had to turn on the A/C in my house in the month of December because I was having a severe hot flash LOL.
Me too. And that's why I don't turn on the heat in the car in the winter. I also hate going inside places where there's not a coat check (like a store) all bundled up and dealing with the heat they have on in their establishment and ending up getting sweaty and annoyed from shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 09:26 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Me too. And that's why I don't turn on the heat in the car in the winter. I also hate going inside places where there's not a coat check (like a store) all bundled up and dealing with the heat they have on in their establishment and ending up getting sweaty and annoyed from shopping.
Men who wear flip flops or sandals in church, restaurant, business etc. Shave your toes or feet. Nothing more disgusting then eating dinner and some 55 year old guy sits down in shorts and sandals and crosses his legs so you can see hairy toes and one of his hairy balls hanging out.

Pretty much once you hit 30 you should start avoiding that look, by 40 rarely and once you break 50 forgetabout it.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:45 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Men who wear flip flops or sandals in church, restaurant, business etc. Shave your toes or feet. Nothing more disgusting then eating dinner and some 55 year old guy sits down in shorts and sandals and crosses his legs so you can see hairy toes and one of his hairy balls hanging out.

Pretty much once you hit 30 you should start avoiding that look, by 40 rarely and once you break 50 forgetabout it.
LMAO! How about men who wear sandals with thick wool socks? (Some do this any season, even summer.)

Old 03-23-2015, 09:56 AM

137 posts, read 194,203 times
Quote:

Yeah right. Talk to me when 90% of women stop wearing pajamas and uggs everywhere. Or have Juicy printed across their mile wide behind.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:07 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
LMAO! How about men who wear sandals with thick wool socks? (Some do this any season, even summer.)
LOL My FIL used to wear these brown sandals that slipped on but were criss crossed on top of the foot with black dress socks, shorts and a wife beater T-shirt. Must be an old Italian man thing LOL.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:50 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,752 times
Quote:

I can deal with the hairy toes. It's the hairy man bits that flop around when they decide to go commando in their basketball shorts. Is it a no laundry thing or a 2015 way of picking up someone? Ewwwwwwwww

Last edited by iluvmycuties; 03-23-2015 at 09:02 PM..

Old 03-23-2015, 08:59 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Wondering if anyone else has noticed this trend. This seems to be strictly a LI thing, I usually don't see it in the city or Jersey, these guys who wear shorts in the winter, and despite being the coldest winter in recent memory, I'm seeing it more than ever. Usually always white guys wearing a North Face Parka and Cargo Shorts, often with no socks, even on the coldest days I usually see it. Most common in South Shore Nassau & Lake Grove/Smithtown areas.
Yeah people can wear whatever they want and I'm certainly no fashion expert but it is annoying to see! Worse than Spandex/Uggs (at least the boots are weather appropriate)
Even News 12 reporter Jessica Borg commented on it in a report this afternoon that she saw a guy strolling around in shorts in today's snow!
Dude put on a pair of pants!

I agree. And I have left Long Island. It is a LI thing.

Some kind of macho Massapequa - Shirley Mastic type BS. I lived in the Tri Hamlet Community for a few years. I saw that a lot. I am originally from the North Shore. Never saw it there. Shorts? In May or June.

I live in the mid west now, and I never see shorts, flip flops, tank tops or any summer regalia here - except in Summer. Or late Spring.

And most men where shirts with sleeves here. Even in Summer. As they did on the NS of Long Island.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:12 AM

291 posts, read 336,077 times
Jesus, some people will complain about anything.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:41 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree. And I have left Long Island. It is a LI thing.

Some kind of macho Massapequa - Shirley Mastic type BS. I lived in the Tri Hamlet Community for a few years. I saw that a lot. I am originally from the North Shore. Never saw it there. Shorts? In May or June.

I live in the mid west now, and I never see shorts, flip flops, tank tops or any summer regalia here - except in Summer. Or late Spring.

And most men where shirts with sleeves here. Even in Summer. As they did on the NS of Long Island.
you should really try traveling in order to broaden your perspective.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:44 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I actually can't stand wearing a heavy winter coat so my coat from October to April is a fleece jacket. I own several winter coats but hate it. I only wear gloves when I shovel snow. I hate scarves and hats too. I even hate driving with a coat on it annoys me. I'll start wearing my flip flops next month in hopes the weather will get warmer. It may seem strange to wear shorts in the winter but who are we to judge? I once had to turn on the A/C in my house in the month of December because I was having a severe hot flash LOL.
I dunno why anyone would wear a coat in April or October in southern New York anyway, except for the occasional chilly/rainy day. High 50s and low 60s is t. shirt weather. Maybe a sweater at night but a COAT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island