Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 6,248 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving to one of these two areas. We currently live in Great River a tree lined south shore community. There are two problems with Great River. The first, it is part of the East Islip school district which doesn’t offer much for the above average students. Second, we are just about the only Jewish family there.
We don't what to move too far west because of our jobs. We thought Dix Hills or Commack seem like the best options.
Our price ranges up to $650,000.
Not a fancy home but a tree lined quiet street.
Which community would meet are needs best?
Which parts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 12:30 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,833,821 times
Both would fit what you seek...
In general, houses are on bigger lots in Dix Hills. Yo will not see your neighbors coming & going b/c it is so hilly & wooded. Commack has a more uniform look, flatter streets, and you can see your neighbors out on the street more.. Neither community has its own old historic town, like Northport, or Huntington, but you are close to both. You are close to the cool theaters, little museums, & beaches from both towns.
Good luck!

Both school systems are great. Walk the schools you are considering.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:28 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,627,940 times
Look at Three Village - plenty of homes crying to be bought in your price range in good areas, and best of all Three Village caters to the very bright - check out the IG program, honors programs, AP's, etc. This district isn't the best for the average student, so it sounds like you'd fit in very well.

Also, we have North Shore Jewish Center and Temple Isaiah both in the area - it's quite a mixed area with a decent-sized Jewish population if that's what will work for you.

Plus the U. is a big plus for kids junior high and up - they run programs for the kids on a couple of weeknights (astonomy, etc.), have a pre-college music program for chamber music (great for musically gifted kids, but again, not for the average).

Take a look at my posts on the recent Three Village thread - I may add nothing is perfect, the school system has its political problems, like any other. But if you keep an eye on the Board, pick up the local paper, you can read between the lines and keep a tight rein on the schools as to what programs are being cut or added

Right now it seems we have a reasonable Superintendent - something we lacked for years.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:26 PM

903 posts, read 3,564,980 times
I live in Dix Hills and the street I am on go for about 625-660. Most of the houses are on 1/3 of an acre and we have sidewalks. The block is a mix of religions with many of the neighbors going to the Dix Hills Jewish Center(conservative) ot Temple Beth Torah (reformed). Many of Dix Hills jews go to Temple Beth David (r) in commack or South Huntington Jewish Center (c). If you have any other questions about the area or areas within please feel free to pm me. Also, my children receive enrichment at the school and one of my kids gets bussed to another school for a full day of more challenging curriculum.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:30 PM

5 posts, read 22,542 times
Dix hills and the Jewish people are really an amazing pair. You feel it at Lubavitch Chai Center of Dix Hills It is an amazing synagouge

Old 02-25-2008, 02:01 PM

210 posts, read 669,234 times
The area has a great choice in temples, no matter what your specific needs are, and schools are top-notch. I am a resident of Melville.

Please check your private messages, I send more to you there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island