Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 01:59 PM

20 posts, read 24,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
It's a toss up: a crew of four guys will complete a yard is 25% of the time. My neighbor is out there for 2 hours on a Saturday morning while my yard is done mid-morning on a weekday in 30 minutes.
Probably your neighbor enjoys working on his lawn - many people enjoy gardening and take pride in doing it themselves. Used to be that was how you met a lot of your neighbors - during the summer when you were out there working on your lawns and sharing tips. Now you have 4 illegals peeing on the corner & throwing down the cheapest toxic poisons they can get away with so their greedy bosses can charge you for lawn maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 02:02 PM

20 posts, read 24,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularJo View Post
Probably your neighbor enjoys working on his lawn - many people enjoy gardening and take pride in doing it themselves. Used to be that was how you met a lot of your neighbors - during the summer when you were out there working on your lawns and sharing tips. Now you have 4 illegals peeing on the corner & throwing down the cheapest toxic poisons they can get away with so their greedy bosses can charge you for lawn maintenance.

And it is a lot faster to blow your debris on your neighbors lawn in 30 minutes than to pick it up and throw it up or mulch it which is probably what your neighbor is doing out of consideration for you.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:28 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Commercial areas are the worst driving through. We were on Jericho Tpke headed to the TOB festival in Syosset and there was a crew of landscapers blowing a visible cloud of dust into the streets right in front of a traffic-lined street of cars. It's citation-worthy IMO.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:24 PM

294 posts, read 879,193 times
This past Saturday night I saw landscapers working on a business at 11pm!!!! Unbelievable. This was on Hempstead Turnpike in Bethpage, so no adjacent homes, but those who live behind the Ace Hardware could easily have heard this crew. 11 pm. Insane.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:20 PM

57,268 posts, read 26,199,434 times
There are some communities that banned leaf blowers, decreasing the hours that they can operate would be a step in the right direction.

Sometimes it seems like they are going all day long on different properties, the fall is actually worse than spring but the noise level over the top.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:41 PM

I read TOB allowable hours are 8am weekdays and 9am-5pm weekends. That's not relief from the loud drones that still last 30+ minutes. Of course I heard more today. Makes me want to pull my hair out. If I didn't have kids in the house, I'd just blast my music.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:29 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,738 times
Question for the DIY landscapers. My lot is .5 acres. I'm pretty fit so I don't mind pushing a mower, but is it better to get a riding mower ( and whats a zero-turn?). Give me some mower recommendations.

Having lived in city condos my entire adult life, I haven't mowed a lawn since I was a kid living in Great Neck. But I'm looking foward to start mowing my own damn lawn.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:36 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,967 times
We just got back from our quiet and peaceful condo in SW Florida and I already am looking forward to returning mid-June for the summer because we love the 92 degrees and humidity everyday. Today we have a neighbor who has the nerve to get a new roof installed. These illegals are hammering at 7:30am. This is unbelievable. There ought to be an ordinance not to start work until at least 9am. Then we have Mr. FDNY Disability Bob next door who is doing another bathroom reno in his house cutting tile in his driveway. The dust from the tile is blowing onto my new 2005 Outback. Oh good....here comes another school bus to disturb the peace with it's noisy brakes and smelly exhaust. You'd think parents should make their children walk because buses are noisy and pollute the air. I just cannot wait for the Southwest jet heading for Baltimore to fly overhead making racket and spewing jet fuel exhaust into the atmosphere over Long Island. We should all protest!

Ahhh...I feel better now.

Last edited by OneToGo; 04-15-2015 at 06:26 AM..

Old 04-15-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
These illegals are hammering at 7:30am. This is unbelievable. There ought to be an ordinance not to start work until at least 9am.
We have an 8am ordinance here and this morning they literally started hammering away at the house which is BEHIND the house across the street from us and I could hear it in my bedroom. 7:31am. They don't care about ordinances.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:18 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Question for the DIY landscapers. My lot is .5 acres. I'm pretty fit so I don't mind pushing a mower, but is it better to get a riding mower ( and whats a zero-turn?). Give me some mower recommendations.

Having lived in city condos my entire adult life, I haven't mowed a lawn since I was a kid living in Great Neck. But I'm looking foward to start mowing my own damn lawn.
You must be Spanish if mowed a lawn in Great Neck, just kidding. Dont need a rider but you need a wide one and if lazy a self propeled one. They have push one that are assisted they have them at Sears
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island