Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:32 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
We have an 8am ordinance here and this morning they literally started hammering away at the house which is BEHIND the house across the street from us and I could hear it in my bedroom. 7:31am. They don't care about ordinances.
They're illegals, they don't care about any laws period. They have no respect & walk around with impunity everywhere they go, because they know the spineless politicians won't do anything about them for fear of being labeled the "R" word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Not spanish, just a cheap Chinese guy. I'm going to be THAT GUY mowing the lawn and drinking beer, pissing off the neighbors. Surburbia here I come.

Not only that, I plan on washing my own car, changing my own oil, re-sealing my own driveway. All the things snooty people in the North Shore don't DIY.
Snooty people aren't just restricted to the North Shore, parts of the South Shore (at least in Nassau) are getting just as bad.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
2 hours? I'm done in 30-45 minutes for a 100x65 lot and it doesn't make commercial-grade noise either. I heard the landscapers from 5 houses down yesterday. Not lying. And again, it wouldn't be so bad if it was just mowing. Those blowers are stupid loud and unnecessary for more than 5 minutes at a time... blow it off the sidewalk and driveway and GO AWAY. Doesn't happen.
They love the blowers because to them its fun blowing dirt into the air, they always look like they're having a good time doing it. Like a bunch of bugs swarming around your ears...they're "owning it" and just want to rub it in.
I've heard leaf blowers close to 3/4 of a mile away, in the middle of a park. It's ridiculous. The loud 2 stroke style leaf blowers should be outlawed. They already outlawed 2 stroke engines for buses and most tracks, so why not leaf blowers? Oh, that's right it could be considered "discrimination".
Funny how when I'm down in Ocean County I rarely even see landscapers, people there do their own lawns for the most part. Most people here have small lawns that could be done themselves within an hour. But that's an hour that could be spent shopping at the mall, playing video games,etc. Basically if it was possible most LI'ers would pay someone else to do everything including wiping their rectums after a #2!

Old 04-16-2015, 03:05 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I must be missing the picture here.

Whats the difference if I run my lawn mower, weed wacker etc. for 2 hours on a Saturday vs my landscaper doing it for 30 mins??
An hour and a half?

Old 04-16-2015, 03:07 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
They're illegals, they don't care about any laws period. They have no respect & walk around with impunity everywhere they go, because they know the spineless politicians won't do anything about them for fear of being labeled the "R" word.
How can you tell which ones are legal and which are illegal?

Old 04-16-2015, 04:41 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,663 times
Quote:
Are you saying the business owners are illegal? How did they obtain their licenses? How were they able to purchase their trucks and equipment and register them?

Old 04-16-2015, 04:44 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,663 times
Quote:
They love the blowers because to them its fun blowing dirt into the air, they always look like they're having a good time doing it. Like a bunch of bugs swarming around your ears...they're "owning it" and just want to rub it in.
I've heard leaf blowers close to 3/4 of a mile away, in the middle of a park. It's ridiculous. The loud 2 stroke style leaf blowers should be outlawed. They already outlawed 2 stroke engines for buses and most tracks, so why not leaf blowers? Oh, that's right it could be considered "discrimination".
Funny how when I'm down in Ocean County I rarely even see landscapers, people there do their own lawns for the most part. Most people here have small lawns that could be done themselves within an hour. But that's an hour that could be spent shopping at the mall, playing video games,etc. Basically if it was possible most LI'ers would pay someone else to do everything including wiping their rectums after a #2!
Do you have any idea how hard a landscapers day is? You think any of those guys are having fun? If you ever worked a day in your life you would realize how silly you sound.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:59 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,204 times
People here are seriously riled up about landscaping noise here. I guess paying high LI property taxes will do that to ya.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:01 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
^ if you're not at home during the day then you have little to worry about. For those who are, it's definitely a quality of life issue. You want to pay that much to move out here and be subjected to worse conditions than you had there?

People who hire landscapers and aren't around to hear it (thanks a lot) will be the ones defending this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
How can you tell which ones are legal and which are illegal?
To be fair usually it's the workers that are minorities and the "boss" may only LOOK LIKE one because he's out in the sun all day (a wife of a local owner once said this). I've seen it too. Cheap labor is cheap labor though. There's no incentive to hire anyone else. Customers pay lower prices and they all "benefit". Again, thanks a lot.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:12 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,931 times
Quote:
Commercial areas are the worst driving through. We were on Jericho Tpke headed to the TOB festival in Syosset and there was a crew of landscapers blowing a visible cloud of dust into the streets right in front of a traffic-lined street of cars. It's citation-worthy IMO.
I once asked a cop about this. I was driving on Vets Hwy and noticed a landscaping crew blowing tons of leaves onto the highway (it was October). Cop said there was nothing he could do, it's not illegal.
what I found amazing - it was a rainy day, and I thought this created a road hazard.

Last edited by lifetimeliguy; 04-16-2015 at 07:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island