Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 07:40 AM

260 posts, read 450,605 times

Advertisements

You want to do your own lawn? Great- enjoy! I prefer to outsource these things and do my part in stimulating the economy. Love my landscapers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 07:49 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICDForumbites View Post
I hope it rains too. Then we'll have the whiney threads on the influx of mosquitos. Then the complaining about the towns spraying. Then the extinction of the bats and bees. Then the beaches closed due to the toxic run off. Then the complaints of neighbors unsightly overgrown lawns. Then the debates on "do it yourself" or "hire a service." Then..."do people realize how annoying their landscapers are?" The cycle of whine on LICD forums. I use an old school tactic. When someone is using a lawnmower nearby, I close the window and turn up the volume. When they are done I open the window and say "hmm, that fresh cut grass smells nice."
You must be new to internet forums.

And it's not the lawnmowers - it's the fricken commercial-grade air-movers that even have them plugging their own ears. When those things are banned, they won't lose any business because some grass clippings are still here and there. I don't think they need to worry. There will always be people in need since they won't do manual labor themselves.

Mosquitoes don't come till late summer. The influx of asian-tiger mosquitoes are the problem. Welcome to internet forum discussions.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-19-2015 at 07:57 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 08:54 AM

137 posts, read 194,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
You must be new to internet forums.

And it's not the lawnmowers - it's the fricken commercial-grade air-movers that even have them plugging their own ears. When those things are banned, they won't lose any business because some grass clippings are still here and there. I don't think they need to worry. There will always be people in need since they won't do manual labor themselves.

Mosquitoes don't come till late summer. The influx of asian-tiger mosquitoes are the problem. Welcome to internet forum discussions.

Yeah, I'm new. Not like one of the other 700 people on here on their 15th screen name !! Mosquitos are here now. No need to wait until "late summer." They are active (and out of hibernation) above about 55 degrees and thrive above 80. It was 85 two days ago. If you think Asian tigers are the only skeeter problem, you might not want to expound on entomology (but you will anyway). If you want skeeters, nothing better than an unblown pile of your neighbors soggy leaves. Backpack blowers are the greatest invention ever. One is worth 100 rakes (and rakers)!! I find it precious on here that some find it a badge of honor (or conversely, dishonor they lord over others) to do their own "manual labor." Hour for hour I lose money mowing my lawn and I sure as hell don't find it "therapeutic." I find it to be a waste of already scarce free time and time away from my family doing boring, unsatisfying grunt work. My son and I do most of the landscape design and plantings. I'm happy to job out the weed pulling, mowing, raking and edging to someone who does it better, faster, cheaper than me and adds to the economy and tax base. If it bothers a neighbor, tough noogies. They do things that bother me too. And yet, we get along great...because we know this is a non-problem. Just another LICD Forum boo hoo fest. If I have an issue with my neighbors landscapers, I talk to him (and them) and resolve it to the best of our mutual satisfaction. EZ PZ.

Last edited by LICDForumbites; 05-19-2015 at 09:21 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 10:22 AM

^ I'm lost at cheaper. $100/month for labor is cheaper than free? Are you making money at all hours on weekends or something? Economy - don't make me laugh.

Free time is abundant. It's just an excuse in the true sense of the word. Our kids do 4 sports, we have our own things at night, and we still have plenty of free time especially on weekends. How does that happen? Must be the long hours of a day.

Grunt work is right, but I personally don't care since it's an hour a week. Paying others to do it is worth it for others, I don't care about that either - have at it. I don't know why you took the manual labor comment personally. It doesn't even have to be back-breakingly intense - people will pay others to dust their homes and pick up their clothes. As I said, there will always be work for these guys.

"Skeeters" around here that don't bite while I've been out in the yard for hours at a time - who cares about those?

Last edited by ovi8; 05-19-2015 at 10:50 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 10:23 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,536,773 times
I just mowed my own lawn twice in the past 2 weeks since I moved to burbs. And I did find it enjoyable and relaxing, all 0.4 acres of it. I do use a cordless electric mower, so it barely makes any sound compared to a gas motor. So it doesn't annoy the neighbors. BTW, electric mower technology is pretty awesome these days. My new mower blows away the POS corded electric mower I use to push around as a teenager.

And for those who look down on people that do their own "manual" labor, google up the median/mean salary of a gastroenterologist. I mow my own damn lawn because I like to, not because I can't afford to.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:14 AM

20,021 posts, read 20,822,731 times
Landscaping is part of American history and culture. It's very simple, you don't like landscaping you are not American. You are communist or a terrorist or something. Maybe Canadian.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:14 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,233,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I just mowed my own lawn twice in the past 2 weeks since I moved to burbs. And I did find it enjoyable and relaxing, all 0.4 acres of it. I do use a cordless electric mower, so it barely makes any sound compared to a gas motor. So it doesn't annoy the neighbors. BTW, electric mower technology is pretty awesome these days. My new mower blows away the POS corded electric mower I use to push around as a teenager.

And for those who look down on people that do their own "manual" labor, google up the median/mean salary of a gastroenterologist. I mow my own damn lawn because I like to, not because I can't afford to.
me too. It's 90 minutes of no cell phone. no interruptions. Exercise is always a plus.
That said, when I was a kid , everyone in our neighborhood waited until 9am on weekends to cut the lawn to prevent waking the neighbors. I believe the term used in those good old days was "common courtesy".

Old 05-19-2015, 11:15 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,233,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Landscaping is part of American history and culture. It's very simple, you don't like landscaping you are not American. You are communist or a terrorist or something. Maybe Canadian.
Canadians do not have lawns due to all that snow and ice. The temperature drops 40 degrees when you cross the border.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:23 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,765,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
me too. It's 90 minutes of no cell phone. no interruptions. Exercise is always a plus.
That said, when I was a kid , everyone in our neighborhood waited until 9am on weekends to cut the lawn to prevent waking the neighbors. I believe the term used in those good old days was "common courtesy".
I love taking care of my own lawn. Only thing I cant stand is edging. But to each his own.

What I don't get about the lawn issue regarding landscapers is what's the difference between them and someone doing their own lawn? Both are just as noisy. Every weekend I use my mower, weed trimmer, and blower, all make lots of noise. Its either that or "lawns" that are 2 feet high and full of weeds.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:25 AM

^ your little 5.5 hp push mower is not going to be heard from 5 houses away. I hear the landscapers' from even further with windows closed. Also, MUCH more blowing. And they are commercial grade. Have you ever had a neighbor blow crap into the air/street as you were driving through with your windows down? Guess who does that?

I do my own lawn and it looks pristine just like theirs, edges and all. A lot of the landscaper bs is unnecessary with our lot sizes. People forking out money for it will justify it all.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-19-2015 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island