Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 11:32 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,504,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Why are you being so defensive? I merely disagreed with you about a student who got into all 8 Ivies. I don't feel his accomplishments are worthy of 8 out of 8 acceptances. Nothing more. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. If you have decided to take my comments as a personal attack, that's up to you.
I'm not defensive at all. The fact that your daughter scored perfect would explain why you needed to clarify that he wouldn't have been accepted to all 8. And that made sense to me. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 12:08 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,636,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
You're probably right. I had to edit to let you know that I think that the 360 perfect scores is a bit high. So, congrats to your daughter. And if you had all those stats and rankings in your head, without research, congrats to you.
Both of my kids are out of college at this point. When they were in the process of applying to schools, I only read the book by M. Hernandez, which I recommend to any student or parent out there that is interested in the higher ranked schools. In it there is a prescription to follow to increase a student's chances for being accepted into a school that only takes a small percentage of applicants. My electrician's son had a terrible guidance counselor in high school a few years ago, and both his parents and he were lost when it came to getting ready to start lining up colleges to look at as well as steering him in the direction of extra curriculars. His grades were good. They needed a roadmap to follow - nothing more. Just something to organize them all. The son ticked off the achievements outlined in the book, and today he's at Lehigh.

And after skimming through a Princeton Guide to Colleges or a Barron's, it becomes pretty clear in a hurry what kind of scores and qualifications it takes to even be considered by one of the top schools.

Some kids who get amazing scores on the SAT actually take it again to see if they can match it. Sounds crazy, but it happens. Three Village SD has a very high concentration of top contending students because of the population pool out there - children of university profs, MD's (University Hospital), Brookhaven lab personnel. Lots of high IQ's genetically, and these kids compete with one another and spur each other on. A rather unique situation since there are so many of them. It also can become quite the pressure cooker too - which isn't so good.

Getting back to the subject that's been so debated, getting into even 2 Ivies is a huge deal and rare. I just find it very odd that a student would get into all 8. If this particular student got into one, or even two, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary. But to be accepted by all of them - there's got to be a reason for it besides class rank and good scores on paper.

Last edited by AndreaII; 04-06-2015 at 12:16 AM..

Old 04-06-2015, 12:18 AM

I was being serious re: your recollection of stats. Prob why your daughter scored perfect. I'm guessing you have a photographic type of memory.

As I said before to other posters, I'm probably letting my emotions cloud my judgment on this one. I'm sure you're all right.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:32 AM

37,032 posts, read 41,094,361 times
Default Re the SAT

What's the Highest Possible SAT Score?

"Out of 1.66 million test-takers in 2013, just 494 earned a 2400. That is only 0.03% of SAT scores!"

Old 04-06-2015, 12:46 AM

I read that they're going back to the 1600 pt model.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:33 AM

22,654 posts, read 36,662,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
I read that they're going back to the 1600 pt model.
Yes they are.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:27 AM

5,317 posts, read 4,740,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Both of my kids are out of college at this point. When they were in the process of applying to schools, I only read the book by M. Hernandez, which I recommend to any student or parent out there that is interested in the higher ranked schools. In it there is a prescription to follow to increase a student's chances for being accepted into a school that only takes a small percentage of applicants. My electrician's son had a terrible guidance counselor in high school a few years ago, and both his parents and he were lost when it came to getting ready to start lining up colleges to look at as well as steering him in the direction of extra curriculars. His grades were good. They needed a roadmap to follow - nothing more. Just something to organize them all. The son ticked off the achievements outlined in the book, and today he's at Lehigh.

And after skimming through a Princeton Guide to Colleges or a Barron's, it becomes pretty clear in a hurry what kind of scores and qualifications it takes to even be considered by one of the top schools.

Some kids who get amazing scores on the SAT actually take it again to see if they can match it. Sounds crazy, but it happens. Three Village SD has a very high concentration of top contending students because of the population pool out there - children of university profs, MD's (University Hospital), Brookhaven lab personnel. Lots of high IQ's genetically, and these kids compete with one another and spur each other on. A rather unique situation since there are so many of them. It also can become quite the pressure cooker too - which isn't so good.

Getting back to the subject that's been so debated, getting into even 2 Ivies is a huge deal and rare. I just find it very odd that a student would get into all 8. If this particular student got into one, or even two, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary. But to be accepted by all of them - there's got to be a reason for it besides class rank and good scores on paper.
Ivy League Admissions Are a Sham: Confessions of a Harvard Gatekeeper

This is an interesting read, according to this former Harvard admissions officer kids who are children of alumni certainly seem to have points in their favor.

Last edited by peconic117; 04-06-2015 at 05:35 AM..

Old 04-06-2015, 05:46 AM

5,025 posts, read 3,928,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Ivy League Admissions Are a Sham: Confessions of a Harvard Gatekeeper

This is an interesting read, according to this former Harvard admissions officer kids who are children of alumni certainly seem to have points in their favor.
It is not a secret that 'legacies' (children of alumni), coveted athletes, certain racial groups and others are subject to different criteria for admission to the elite schools. The schools themselves openly and repeatedly acknowledge this and anyone who is familiar with the college admissions game knows this.

The article you reference points out that race may be advantage in admissions to Harvard (doesn't mention which race but I am thinking not Asian or white) in a soft-pedaled nod to actual admissions practices. His examples only reference white applicants and a wise reader knows why..

What I find interesting is when folks discover this widely-known practice for the first time.

There is certainly no reason to be defensive when this widely-known practice is noted.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 04-06-2015 at 05:55 AM..

Old 04-06-2015, 06:02 AM

703 posts, read 1,170,936 times
I heard Abigail Fisher is asking the Supreme Court to revisit her lawsuit.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:10 AM

5,317 posts, read 4,740,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
It is not a secret that 'legacies' (children of alumni), coveted athletes, certain racial groups and others are subject to different criteria for admission to the elite schools. The schools themselves openly and repeatedly acknowledge this and anyone who is familiar with the college admissions game knows this.

The article you reference points out that race may be advantage in admissions to Harvard (doesn't mention which race but I am thinking not Asian or white) in a soft-pedaled nod to actual admissions practices. His examples only reference white applicants and a wise reader knows why..

What I find interesting is when folks discover this widely-known practice for the first time.

There is certainly no reason to be defensive when this widely-known practice is noted.
No surprises just pointing out there are other factors other than race that have absolutely nothing to do with personal achievement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island