Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 02:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,985 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all for the responses. Really much appreciated! To clarify, we are looking to rent (currently paying over 4k for a flex 2 BR, would love something much more affordable). Our work day would START at 6:30 am, meaning if we lived an hour from Stony Brook, I would leave the house before 5:30. I definitely want to favor her commute, so it sounds like areas such as Bayside/Whitestone/Flushing, Forest Hills/Kew Gardens, New Hyde/Garden City, or Woodmere would be best. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 03:27 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,760,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynysu View Post
Thanks to all for the responses. Really much appreciated! To clarify, we are looking to rent (currently paying over 4k for a flex 2 BR, would love something much more affordable). Our work day would START at 6:30 am, meaning if we lived an hour from Stony Brook, I would leave the house before 5:30. I definitely want to favor her commute, so it sounds like areas such as Bayside/Whitestone/Flushing, Forest Hills/Kew Gardens, New Hyde/Garden City, or Woodmere would be best. Thoughts?
That extra information helps.

288 Cedarhurst Ave #E1 in Cedarhurst is $2400 a month for a 2/2. Looks nice on the real estate sites.
Google says it's 40 minutes to Staten Island University Hospital (if that's the destination there) near the Verrazano and 57 minutes to Stony Brook.

There are a lot of house rentals in the same general area under $3000. That area is also close to Atlantic Beach, Long Beach and Jones Beach if that's of any interest for your off time and has decent LIRR train service to New York.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:37 AM

4,690 posts, read 8,713,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
The Five Towns area of Nassau (Woodmere, Lawrence, Cedarhurst, Hewlett, Inwood)
I wouldn't consider Five Towns. I'd want somewhere with easy highway/parkway access.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:51 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,460,838 times
Day or night shift? I have friends that commute from Nassau and Queens to SBUH, the day shift will be fine (45-50mins), the night shift will be a nightmare (1.5-2hours).

PS: SBUH pays their people like crap and treats them worse.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:43 AM

551 posts, read 1,568,528 times
A little off the wall idea, but you might think about leaving a car on Long Island, at least on weekdays, and drive back and forth from work to a train station, say Ronkonkama. You might live in Woodside, take an hour train, 15-20 minute drive to/from work on the other side. I did this when I worked in Uniondale for a year while living in Manhattan (but mostly to avoid the price of parking in Manhattan).

Old 04-10-2015, 02:10 PM

258 posts, read 454,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
A little off the wall idea, but you might think about leaving a car on Long Island, at least on weekdays, and drive back and forth from work to a train station, say Ronkonkama. You might live in Woodside, take an hour train, 15-20 minute drive to/from work on the other side. I did this when I worked in Uniondale for a year while living in Manhattan (but mostly to avoid the price of parking in Manhattan).
That's actually a really cool idea, it definitely saves money on gas, and at least you wouldn't be stuck driving a car for the bulk of the trip.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I wouldn't consider Five Towns. I'd want somewhere with easy highway/parkway access.
The question is not what you would consider or want. The OP has set out the parameters he wants. I have given him generalities and one specific example of what would meet into his stated requirements. I don't believe it will be easy to find many places that will do so.

The Nassau Expressway/Rockaway Blvd provides westbound access to the Belt Parkway, Peninsula Blvd gives access to Southern State going east. It looks like the guy will be pulling twelve hour shifts, why would you want to make his commute longer than an hour? Feel free to find any other location in a nice area that meets his housing requirements and keeps his commute under an hour and his wife's under 45 minutes. I have proven it is doable, can you?

Old 04-10-2015, 03:15 PM

4,690 posts, read 8,713,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
The question is not what you would consider or want.
It's a figure of speech. Lighten up Francis.
Quote:
The OP has set out the parameters he wants. I have given him generalities and one specific example of what would meet into his stated requirements. I don't believe it will be easy to find many places that will do so.
thank you for the useless and irrelevant summary of recent events. What did yo have for lunch?
Quote:
The Nassau Expressway/Rockaway Blvd provides westbound access to the Belt Parkway, Peninsula Blvd gives access to Southern State going east.
Access? Yes. Easy access? Definitely not.
Quote:
It looks like the guy will be pulling twelve hour shifts, why would you want to make his commute longer than an hour?
why would you suggest a town where it's an easy 10-15 mins before you even get to the SSP heading east?
Quote:
Feel free to find any other location in a nice area that meets his housing requirements and keeps his commute under an hour and his wife's under 45 minutes. I have proven it is doable, can you?
Not sure, but what I can do is point out the lousy suggestions.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
It's a figure of speech. Lighten up Francis.

thank you for the useless and irrelevant summary of recent events. What did yo have for lunch?

Access? Yes. Easy access? Definitely not.

why would you suggest a town where it's an easy 10-15 mins before you even get to the SSP heading east?

Not sure, but what I can do is point out the lousy suggestions.
Thank you for your detailed input. Nothing helpful to the OP, but detailed nonetheless. A lousy suggestion would be one that doesn't meet any of the OP's needs - like your earlier suggestion. My suggestion meets every requirement he stated. Have a nice dinner.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:01 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,572,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
That's actually a really cool idea, it definitely saves money on gas, and at least you wouldn't be stuck driving a car for the bulk of the trip.
You have the LIRR on the north end of SBU's west campus. SBU has buses which run on and between both campuses. Only problem with the Stony Brook LIRR is less frequent trains as opposed to Ronkonkoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island