Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 07:03 AM

137 posts, read 194,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
A $70,000+ janitor. Only on LI, folks.

Okay, thanks for the motivation. Enough sitting here and posting. I have to pack up things and fix-fix-fix so I can bail outta this place.

Actually the head custodian at our middle school makes $109k. Yup, ONLY on LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 07:56 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
PG County, while being the most affluent predominately Black county in the US, varies in terms of inside and outside if the Beltway. Outside of the Beltway is more desirable than Inside of the Beltway. What is happening is due to this reality, some people are moving to Charles County. A sister of mine lives in Waldorf and she, along with another sister lived in District Heights/Forestville. So, it depends on where you are in PG County too.
Right, like Nassau County, for instance, PG has some really nice areas and some areas I wouldn't venture into. To be clear, I wasn't saying this phenomenon was isolated to PG County, I just thought of it because a few of my sub-30 friends have bought into the nicer areas of PGC (which I'd argue outnumber the bad areas).

Montgomery and Anne Arundel Counties also have sizable young homeowners in comparison to LI.

Again, the DC area isn't paradise, I'm just making a comparison since somebody else brought it up.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:41 AM

56 posts, read 70,975 times
So going cheaper is better--
Some more musings from an ex- Long Islander--

Owning a huge house and a bunch of land is over-rated. I see it over and over as I live in a rural area in NH.

So many go on about their 10 acres and so forth in the country. It's a nice thing for a few years or until the snow flies or mud season settles in.

If you are not used to it, driving on country roads at night or in bad weather without simple things like "street lights" or even porch lights (people don't put them on/they go to bed early or just save $$ by not using them) is SCARY.

If you were born in a rural area and prefer it, good for you.

However, so many ex-pat NYers/NJ/MA suburb folks come here and regret owning "all this land" in the middle of no where once you realize the nearest supermarket is 20 miles away, the nearest super store where you can shop competitively is an hour away, and so on. You have to plan your life around the weather for 4-6 months. Job opportunities are more spread out and people think NOTHING of driving an hour each way to earn $10/hr.

I'd prefer to be near good amenities, like a decent library (miss those dreadfully) and stores that can compete with each other to keep down prices.

Nothing is perfect but you also will often see when you move how little things add up. You must allow yourself to adjust to them.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:17 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
^ you can see those issues clear as day even when you make weekend trips to the Poconos or upstate.

"I'm going into town, do you want anything?"

Old 04-20-2015, 01:41 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ you can see those issues clear as day even when you make weekend trips to the Poconos or upstate.

"I'm going into town, do you want anything?"
Exactly!!

Old 04-20-2015, 02:35 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Myrtle Beach is nice if you like going to Thanksgiving Dinner at Hooters

Old 04-20-2015, 02:49 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Myrtle Beach is nice if you like going to Thanksgiving Dinner at Hooters
Mother's Day too!

Old 04-20-2015, 04:09 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
/\

There are times that eating at Hooters is better than sitting in bumper to bumper traffic trying to get around the NY metro on a holiday....

Old 04-20-2015, 05:44 PM

4 posts, read 3,444 times
Myrtle beach area is 15 miles by 6 miles wide, only 15% is the tourist roller coaster,wax museum, party areas....thats for the tourists, other area are upscaled family areas with lakes and parks and bike trails.....check out market common district next time your here, upscaled shopping, 3 brewerys, eaterys ect....normal living

Old 04-20-2015, 05:56 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Can a skilled tradesman earning six figures in NY move down to NC and earn a similar living? What is the average salary in your part for plumber, electrician, carpenter ect?
Due to unionization probably not, but they seem to earn enough to make a living. Of course each region has employment areas where salaries are more robust than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island