Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:46 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times

Advertisements

Trailer Park: Welcome to Myrtle Manor | TLC

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 11:55 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,205,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbeehave View Post
Now that's the Myrtle Beach I remember! Funny! It is a tourist mecca there. Doubt OP will say he likes it after a while. Might as well try living near Disney! No real sense of community from the year I spent living there in Myrtle Beach. Go a little further north to Beaufort!! Just visited friend there recently & it is great there. Still would not want to live in SC again. I could say why..but I would get attacked for my reason.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:50 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKLINGER116 View Post
It's april 8th and in myrtle beach it is sunny and 76 degrees...now check this out
i bought a brand new home one mile from the ocean, 2150 square feet,3 full baths,3 bedrooms and a giant bonus room above the 2 car garage....my yearly tax were $704.00
after the first full year, the next year they go down 20% when i turn 65.....natural gas heat, no smelly oil burner or oil deliveries. Current gasoline prices are $1.98 to $2.05 a gallon for name brand shell gas. Lowest gas taxes in the country.....winter here, january and february, average temps..highs in the 50's, lows in the 30's..march thru may averages 65 to 80 degrees, also october thru december 80 to 65 degrees..june thru september is all-out sunny summer, temps 80 to 90, less humid than most long island summer days.....car insurance is half of ny prices, i bought a new 29k priced car, guess what, maximum sales tax in south caroline on a car is $300.00 thats right license plates were $12.00 a year....oh, electric prices a 1/3 the price of long islands lipa...
....and the roads and highways are in mint condition compared to pot-hole new york.

I loved growing up on long island, but to retire, you have to..escape new york.....

Oh, by the way, no income tax on social securty, couples can withdraw 30k a year from retirement plans, ira, or whatever tax free in south carolina...

check it out, it's all available on the web, plan ahead if your retiring soon or if your just starting out and can transfer your skills.

remember, it's about quaility of life, long island was great once, now im not so sure, ...
Corporal Klinger? Is that you?

Old 04-09-2015, 04:33 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Still would not want to live in SC again. I could say why..but I would get attacked for my reason.
I think I could probably guess, having been to SC several times since moving to NC. It's almost like you can see the line dividing the two states lol.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:49 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,140,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
Sorry you couldn't make it here. I'll take my home on the north shore and beach house in montauk over the cheap tourist trap of myrtle beach any day. It's laughable to argue myrtle beach is a better place to live than Long Island unless you couldn't make it here in which case it's ok to settle for less.
And take that you suckers with only one home on the South Shore!

Old 04-09-2015, 08:00 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
How come we never get anyone who says they've moved from LI to the OC, California? There was once a thread comparing the two. Or even DC, LA, SF?

People move for the lower costs... doesn't apply for this OP but ex-pats, please spare us the "it's bright, warm, and beautiful here".

Old 04-09-2015, 09:16 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
Sorry you couldn't make it here. I'll take my home on the north shore and beach house in montauk over the cheap tourist trap of myrtle beach any day. It's laughable to argue myrtle beach is a better place to live than Long Island unless you couldn't make it here in which case it's ok to settle for less.
It's always the same thing at C-D. The I (Hate) NY troll excites the I (Heart) NY troll. Then we see the sorry you couldn't make it here comment, as if NY were the only worthwhile place in this world and show tunes were about real life.

I can't wait to make it out of here, as I work online and don't need to be near "the city" anymore. The COL versus proximity to NYC no longer cut it for me, so I'm out soon.

Can't help wondering if anyone in my position would stay here voluntarily. How much do you have to love LI to endure it when there's no point?

Old 04-09-2015, 09:22 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
^ you're talking about the job factor for you - there may be other factors for others like being around family (get & give support in many ways), being around all amenities and great food all in close proximity. Of course people would stay here voluntarily so long as the cash keeps flowing through. I work online too.

I feel like once you move away to nowheresville, you're much more limited as to what you would do for your weekly lives. You make new friends (acquaintances?) but how often do you do things together? You have no family for dinners and other gatherings to break up the weekly routine. All our college friends and their kids are here too and we get together and go away together all the time. I wouldn't make that decision lightly if I could still afford it here. Don't get me wrong, I don't "love" NY knowing what I know and paying what we pay, but we'd lose a lot simply leaving for nowhere in particular and for no other reason but cost. Work to live right?

Last edited by ovi8; 04-09-2015 at 09:33 AM..

Old 04-09-2015, 09:29 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ you're talking about the job factor - there are other factors like being around family (get & give support in many ways), being around all amenities and great food all in close proximity. Of course people would stay here voluntarily so long as the cash keeps flowing through. I work online too.
When I said "no point" I meant any reason that's financial, personal or whatever.

I thought long and hard about this, and I am at a point where I feel in need of a major change, in addition to relieving the financial stress I endure every day. Haven't you ever had the feeling of having clung too long to the same things, and a reset is needed? I've lived here on LI and in NY state all my life, but feeling that I don't belong here anymore.

When the day comes that I'm out of here, I will not come back and bash LI like so many of them do. I'm not moving to a nowhereseville. I am headed for a southwestern city.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:52 AM

715 posts, read 1,233,514 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island