Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:11 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times

Advertisements

The 8 best websites for finding a no-fee apt in New York City | BrickUnderground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 01:59 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times

Wrong forum
This is the Long Island forum.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:32 PM

294 posts, read 879,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Just go, see the place, and refuse to pay a fee.
Use Nassau County Property Tax website to find the owner and see if you can contact them directly.

Tell them you'd like to use an attorney (or your own RE) and pay them $150 for an hour to write up a lease.
Ridiculous practice on LI.

To think Realtors think a few hours of their time is worth any more than minimum wage.
Laughable.
Hope I'm never involved in a transaction with you. Sneaky, aren't ya?

Old 04-14-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Wrong forum
This is the Long Island forum.
Right forum, he should live in NYC if single before LI crushes his soul

Old 05-13-2015, 08:00 AM

63 posts, read 125,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryinlove View Post
I'm new to NY and am renting in long island. I would like to get a clear idea about the broker's fee.

1. As oridiculous as it sounds, I was told that if look at the rental infroamtion online, call the listing agent to make an appointment, drive to look at the place myself, and the landlord's agent just shows it to me, and I have to pay 1 month rent(not the landlord who hires the agent in the first place). This is true?

2. Does it make any difference whether I use a tenant's agent in terms of fee? Do I pay extra or my agent and landlord's agent will split the broker's fee?

3. All listing in MLSLI has listing agents while cragislist has ads posted by owners directly. If contacting the owner directly would avoid the broker's fee, what would be the disadvantages of not going through an realtor?

Thanks for any replies!
In my experience, I have checked out places where the agent represents the landlord's interest but the tenant pays the fee, which I think is ridiculous but that's not uncommon. It might be something you can negotiate with the landlord if the property has been on the market a while.

If you want a recommendation for a GREAT tenant's agent, PM me. She has really gone out of her way for my boyfriend and me.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:21 AM

137 posts, read 194,345 times
It's all market based. If rental vacancy rates are high, fees are rare and low. If vacancies are low, there is more competition so higher fees. Concurrently in a tight market, landlords are less likely to want to spend the time and hassle dealing with all of the responses so they gladly job it out to a broker who gets the fee. Let them deal with it. In a weak market, no one would bother paying a fee. I remember San Francisco which has a perennial <1% vacancy rate having a cottage industry of scammy apt finder services. If you don't want to pay a fee, find a no fee ad or go owner direct. The problem is in a tight market you're probably excluding 75% (just a guess) of the eligible listings.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:47 AM

755 posts, read 1,080,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Just go, see the place, and refuse to pay a fee.
Use Nassau County Property Tax website to find the owner and see if you can contact them directly.

Tell them you'd like to use an attorney (or your own RE) and pay them $150 for an hour to write up a lease.
Ridiculous practice on LI.

To think Realtors think a few hours of their time is worth any more than minimum wage.
Laughable.
This won't work. Owner would open himself to a lawsuit with his listing agency.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:05 AM

247 posts, read 483,288 times
Regarding the broker's fee: Wouldn't you as a renter want to make sure that you are renting from the actual owner of the house, a landlord vetted by a broker, and is generally a decent human being? To me that is worth paying the broker's fee.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
Regarding the broker's fee: Wouldn't you as a renter want to make sure that you are renting from the actual owner of the house, a landlord vetted by a broker, and is generally a decent human being? To me that is worth paying the broker's fee.
I never had a landlord or a realtor vet I actually owned the place I was selling or renting. they are mainly busy housewifes doing a little side job. Not CSI Long Island

Old 05-16-2015, 09:13 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
This won't work. Owner would open himself to a lawsuit with his listing agency.
...except it works in 49 other states, so... there's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island