Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 05:48 AM

159 posts, read 279,619 times

Advertisements

Be aware that a lot of homes in Levittown don't have basements, if that's important.

And whoever told you about Suffolk schools had absolutely NO IDEA what they were talking about. Suffolk and Nassau probably have the same balance of great, okay and bad schools. As far as crime rates, Suffolk is significantly safer than Nassau on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 06:25 AM

60 posts, read 115,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Levittown schools are fine. Some on LI consider them on the middle to lower range compared to some others, but compared to inner city schools there would be no comparison. As for Island Trees (I think you referred to as island pines) they are fine as well and bit more highly regarded than Levittown schools.

Suffolk you will get more land and sonewhat lower property taxes the further east you go. You will also get more house for your money. Don't worry about "illegal immigrant crime", Suffolk is a huge county and the vast majority of it is safe. Avoid Central Islip, Wyndanch, Brentwood, copaigue, and amityville as they are (or have sections of) high crime areas and awful school districts. Suffolk however is a lot less 'walkable' than parts of Nassau, many areas don't even have sidewalks.

I can tell you it will be tough to find a decent home in smithtown for that budget, I didnt check your links but I can see the st James location is on northern blvd, which is a main road with heavy traffic.

In Nassau as well you may be able to find a smaller cape in certain areas for 350 (Levittown is one), but your options will be more limited.
Thank you for the helpful reply. The reason we were originally scared away from Suffolk County is we have an elderly couple at the church we go to here in PA who we are friendly with that are originally from LI (will have to check with my wife but I think they are from Huntington's Station or something) and we were asking them about areas since we were considering LI for the location and the beaches and they said "stay away from Suffolk county it's getting filled with illegals and lots of crime and robberies" so I am hoping they are being hysterical old folks but just last night I checked the demos for towns out there between 2000 and 2010 and some towns have had big changes % wise in population and several towns became "sanctuary towns" which is not a place I want to live. Hopefully it is confined to those towns that you mentioned. We are not prejudiced by any means, my mother and both my wife's parents are immigrants but here in philly we have big problems in the school with ESL kids who take away a lot of resources.

Anyhow, yeah on the real estate websites I am actually seeing quite a few homes for sale in our range in those towns Nesconset and Saint James. Not all in the newest renovated fashions but that's not something our family cares too much about. I actually saw some 2 bedrooms for sale that were significantly under budget with basements so I was thinking that if there is space out back we can add an addition and finish the basement into a bedroom/tv room for my eldest son and turn the house from a 2 bedroom to a 4 bedroom or at least a 3 bedroom with a den or a Florida room or something.

With doing stuff like that, is LI one of those police states like Philly where it is very to do renovation and you have to go through a planning committee to put add-ons and stuff? We got fined here for painting our metal awnings without a permit so before I start looking at a place and imagining how I can add this and that I want to make sure I don't have to fight perennial red tape.

I am assuming that the towns out on LJ are older villages (besides Levittown) and have traditional downtowns with shopping and stuff? I see from street view there is a lack of pavements in Suffolk Cty to walk around, but apparently Google says there is bus services. Are most stores like delis, groceries, pharmacies in the towns centers/downtowns and accessible bus?

Looks like we night hsve to out the kids in the car and drive around Long Island and see what we like and when we don't

Old 04-18-2015, 06:40 AM

60 posts, read 115,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulHope View Post
Be aware that a lot of homes in Levittown don't have basements, if that's important.

And whoever told you about Suffolk schools had absolutely NO IDEA what they were talking about. Suffolk and Nassau probably have the same balance of great, okay and bad schools. As far as crime rates, Suffolk is significantly safer than Nassau on average.
Thank you for that. If the homes have 3 bedrooms then a basement won't be necessary. A 2 bedroom rambler for the right price is something we would consider and then finish the basement and add an addition of either another small bedroom, a den or a Florida room. The couple who told us about the situation in re:Suffolk County was an elderly couple that now goes to our church in PA who we have gotten friendly with. They were from Huntington's Station and they said that there has been an explosion of illegals in the last 10 years in Suffolk Cty. I did look at the demographic % and there has been quite a population growth but the guy I replied too before said it is confined to a few towns. It is a really big concern for my family just because my oldest boys school has a large contingent of new immigrants who are ESL and take resources away and also there is gang issues and lots of bullying toward my son. I feel bad I have to go walk over to his school everyday and walk behind him home (not with him so other kids don't see and make fun of him the next day) and make sure he doesn't get beat up, robbed etc. there have been some racially motivated incidents against him at his school so I apologize if i sound offensive but it is a situation I have an obligation as a dad to get him away from. Just by checking the demographics of Levittown Union and Smithtown schools I don't think that will be a concern,

Old 04-18-2015, 07:31 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes1982 View Post
Thank you for the helpful reply. The reason we were originally scared away from Suffolk County is we have an elderly couple at the church we go to here in PA who we are friendly with that are originally from LI (will have to check with my wife but I think they are from Huntington's Station or something) and we were asking them about areas since we were considering LI for the location and the beaches and they said "stay away from Suffolk county it's getting filled with illegals and lots of crime and robberies" so I am hoping they are being hysterical old folks but just last night I checked the demos for towns out there between 2000 and 2010 and some towns have had big changes % wise in population and several towns became "sanctuary towns" which is not a place I want to live. Hopefully it is confined to those towns that you mentioned. We are not prejudiced by any means, my mother and both my wife's parents are immigrants but here in philly we have big problems in the school with ESL kids who take away a lot of resources.

Anyhow, yeah on the real estate websites I am actually seeing quite a few homes for sale in our range in those towns Nesconset and Saint James. Not all in the newest renovated fashions but that's not something our family cares too much about. I actually saw some 2 bedrooms for sale that were significantly under budget with basements so I was thinking that if there is space out back we can add an addition and finish the basement into a bedroom/tv room for my eldest son and turn the house from a 2 bedroom to a 4 bedroom or at least a 3 bedroom with a den or a Florida room or something.

With doing stuff like that, is LI one of those police states like Philly where it is very to do renovation and you have to go through a planning committee to put add-ons and stuff? We got fined here for painting our metal awnings without a permit so before I start looking at a place and imagining how I can add this and that I want to make sure I don't have to fight perennial red tape.

I am assuming that the towns out on LJ are older villages (besides Levittown) and have traditional downtowns with shopping and stuff? I see from street view there is a lack of pavements in Suffolk Cty to walk around, but apparently Google says there is bus services. Are most stores like delis, groceries, pharmacies in the towns centers/downtowns and accessible bus?

Looks like we night hsve to out the kids in the car and drive around Long Island and see what we like and when we don't
Yes both Suffolk and Nassau have bus services but I have never used them so I can't attest if they are good or not. I do see them all over the place though. Many downtowns do have bus stops.

The elderly couple said they are from Huntington station. That's the problem right there, another area to avoid. Huntington station is a mess, while Huntington is a desirable area. Definitely take a look and drive around and get a feel for the area.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:34 AM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
With a budget of up to 400k you will be limited finding something nice in the areas you mentioned. This is why your budget was asked for in the first place.

Long Island is incredibly expensive. Building permits are needed for everything.Property taxes are outrageous.

Levittown tract houses are almost 80 years old now, and are small and outdated compared to today's needs, hence the cheap price. No basements, water pipes run through concrete floor, tiny boiler in kitchen. Main road is Hempstead Turnpike, which has the most pedestrian deaths in the state.

I would recommend thinking this move out carefully. Will you really wind up visiting family in the Bronx as often as you think?

Old 04-18-2015, 07:53 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times
If you ever do consider Suffolk county, check out Hauppauge .. low taxes and good schools, pleasant wooded neighborhoods. Taxes are low since there is a massive office park in the town. You should be able to find a 3 BR ranch for 400k with taxes 6-7k (that is low for LI) on a half acre. Check out the area north of New Hwy.
There are buses in the area since the county center is in Hauppauge but as mentioned earlier do not depend on them for local transportation (shopping , etc.) Things are spread out here , it's hard to exist without a drivers' license.
One more thing , I wouldn't advise wearing any Philadelphia Eagles/Phillies gear while living here
Good luck

Old 04-18-2015, 09:10 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:

t
You're moving to one of the most liberal nanny states in the country. Red Tape is Long Island's middle name. Do a search on this forum about certificates of occupancy (COs), permits and variances. Good reading.

I think you can find something nice in your budget especially since you're not that picky like you're on House Hunters. Just be aware of the property tax issue on LI and how that can impact you year to year.

If your wife doesn't drive, you will need to choose very wisely when it comes to where you live. Unless you are home and available all the time, you will need to make friends with the neighbors for carpooling the kids to various activities too.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:54 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Yes both Suffolk and Nassau have bus services but I have never used them so I can't attest if they are good or not. I do see them all over the place though. Many downtowns do have bus stops.

The bus system in Nassau/Suffolk is horrible. Years ago, I remember needing to take a bus (can't remember why). After waiting a long time, I walked down Hempstead Turnpike along the bus route hoping a bus would eventually catch up with me. I walked for a few hours until I reached my destination... never saw a bus in either direction.

Granted, that's one instance and from a while ago. Driving the roads daily, however, I can confirm that a bus is still a rare sight in most places. I drive past some bus stops where I see a poor soul waiting... an hour later on my way home the person is still standing there waiting. You don't want to _rely_ on the busses for transportation.

That said, in any of the towns you are considering there are options for living within walking distance of most amenities. From Merrick to Massapequa, either Sunrise Highway and/or Merrick Road have plenty of shopping. It all depends where the particular home is. IMO, it would be better to find a home within walking distance to the services you regularly use than to rely on suburban mass transit.

With regard to the original question, you will find relatively little difference between Massapequa, Merrick and Wantagh when looking at homes at the same price point. Each of those areas have homes ranging from a few hundred thousand to well over one million.

As others have suggested, Suffolk will give you better value for your dollar plus lower taxes. What you were told about Suffolk is complete BS. There are no more problems in Suffolk than there are in Nassau or any other area. Huntington Station has its issues with crime, but then the Hamptons have their "issues" with multi-million dollars estates and celebrity parties. One small part of an area does not define the entire area.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:55 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Massapequa and Wantagh are very similar. I really can't think of any differences except North Wantagh is the only area btwn all of the areas with a lot of Levitt capes. And East Massapequa is the only area with diversity. Crime is a very low concern in all of those areas, even in the parts bordering Amityville so you have nothing to worry about. Generally, lots tend to get bigger as you go east so Massapequa tends to have slightly bigger property sizes than Bellmore&Merrick...
Wantagh and massapequa are not the same. Wantagh has a very high Indian population where massapequa ha just about none

Old 04-18-2015, 10:14 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Excuse me?

Did you read the question? I specified in it that I'd already found homes online in these talents, so my budget is obviously enough. Regardless, the question of budget is irrelevant to this question because I was asking specifically about the nature of these towns. I wasn't asking for a recommendation, or anything like that I was simply asking if anyone knew the differences between the Massapequas, The Merricks, and Wantagh.

I don't see how my budget is relevant to questions about which town has the highest/lowest property tax rate, whats the differences in regards the schools, if crime is higher in any of these towns and also the perceived difference between the towns to Long Islanders, and yeah every LI town seems to have a reputation (just ask anyone from LI what their opinion of Freeport, Mastic or Brentwood is and you will see!).

Can someone tell me the differences between these towns? Also add Levittown and Massapequa Park to that.

Nice attitude.

There's a big difference in school quality between East Massapequa (Amityville Schools) and Massapequa (Massapequa schools) if you have the means to consider Massapequa with Massapequa schools, by all means don't consider East Massapequa.

You listed a broad swath of Nassau's south shore. Budget can be very relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island