Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,296 times

Advertisements

So I have read a lot of the threads relating to the annoyances of living on Long Island
and I agree there are a lot of downsides. High taxes, the drone of landscapers, traffic.
Thought I would post an upbeat post about what I miss about Long Island.
The beaches, the ability to buy anything you want (if you have the money) within
a short drive, access to New York City, the tolerance of most people towards others due
to the huge diversity.
We had to relocate due to a job to a more homogeneous land locked state. It has been hard to
adjust.
So the take away from this post is it is not necessarily any better in other places. Just different.
If I had the economic means I would move back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 09:37 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
Is your first post here of a campaign to keep people on LI? My b.s. antenna is getting the signal that certain people are employing sly marketing to keep people chained to their homes and paying the taxes.

This won't work for me, Ex. I'm leaving, and if and when I miss LI I'll glance at my old tax bill receipts to feel better fast. Gonna keep those for the memories. Good times!

Old 04-19-2015, 10:03 AM

166 posts, read 313,789 times
with the money that the OP has saved by living in a "homogenous, land locked state", he can take a nice vacation for two weeks in the summer and visit the Hamptons, NYC or any other favorite hot spot, and have plenty of money left over.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:10 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
I think the monetary concerns apply to nearly every expensive city suburb in the country. We make enough to live here comfortably despite all its down sides and tax robbery. We like many things here. To move for no other reason than money when that isn't a huge concern is foolish to us. For many, the salaries around here feed families' futures favorably. If our kids decide otherwise for their lives, so be it.

Last edited by ovi8; 04-19-2015 at 04:19 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 04:17 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex- Long Islander View Post
The beaches, the ability to buy anything you want (if you have the money) within
a short drive, access to New York City, the tolerance of most people towards others due
to the huge diversity.
Huge Diversity? Maybe I'm from a different Long Island, since the place I've been is pretty homogeneous.

I'm sure there's plenty of things to miss, and it sounds like you did -not- head to greener pastures.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:32 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
I am a former LI'er and would like to note that regardless of why you leave, some by choice, as was my case, and others because of jobs, etc. you will take with you what ever it was that you enjoyed about LI. For us, while I loved the LI beaches and still do, I have the opportunity to live under 2 miles from the beach here at a very reasonable price. I was 17 miles away on LI. There is no sales tax, my property taxes are $1355 per year including school taxes and I will get a $500 rebate when I am 65 on the school portion of that.

I can honestly say, I love LI and still do have all of my and DH family there. It just made more sense for us to relocate. We are very happy here and don't regret our move. Do we miss family and friends, sure. Pizza and Bagels, and a curtain store follow along with missing in action here. That said, every trip home includes a pizza and bagel stop, if I need a curtain for a room, I grab a towel or spool of thread that is the same color as I want and I buy it then.

Many of our friends and family are still there because that is where the kids or grand kids are. A very good reason.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:22 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Huge Diversity? Maybe I'm from a different Long Island, since the place I've been is pretty homogeneous.

I'm sure there's plenty of things to miss, and it sounds like you did -not- head to greener pastures.
Diversity? LI is pretty segregated, there are very few "diverse" areas that are also safe, peaceful neighborhoods. You're either living in a rich, mostly white area or a poorer minority one. There is barely a middle class left here.
This is especially true for Nassau. Suffolk is abit less segregated and has some more middle class areas.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:31 PM

146 posts, read 298,188 times
I grew up on Long Island, now live in Kentucky and have for many years. I love it here but I have to tell you...I do miss Long Island. The bakeries, the Chinese restaurants, the pizza, the deli's, etc. I also miss being able to find just about everything that you need or want within a short drive. The closeness of NYC, upstate N.Y. and the beaches...we have beautiful lakes but there is nothing like white sand inbetween your toes and the sound of waves crashing on the shore.

Would I move back? Probably not simply because I couldn't afford it. But, luckily I still have family and friends there so I guess I could go visit at anytime. Unfortunately someone would have to stay down on the Kentucky farm! lol

Old 04-20-2015, 07:13 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,274 times
I moved away from Long Island and don't miss it one bit. The crowded beaches that you have to pay $20 to get into are vastly overrated. Other than the beach, what is there to do? The crowded mall? Give me my free state parks where I can hike alone in the mountains in solitude, and fish from a mountain lake or stream. The money that one saves in property taxes alone can fund an annual vacation to any beach in the world. I'd rather fund a January escape to Bora Bora than hand that money over to a crooked local politician or public school administrator.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:16 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbgal View Post
I also miss being able to find just about everything that you need or want within a short drive
If it's a service, I get this. If it's a product, then you can pretty much buy anything online these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island