Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 07:00 PM

47 posts, read 98,441 times

Advertisements

I moved to lake grove for the same reasons as already stated. I'd rather pay my property taxes than the nyc income tax. My taxes are pretty low. I'm in sachem SD paying just over 5k. But there are other areas of lake grove in middle country and three village SD with much higher taxes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 07:16 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,446,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firsttimehomeownerli View Post
I moved to lake grove for the same reasons as already stated. I'd rather pay my property taxes than the nyc income tax. My taxes are pretty low. I'm in sachem SD paying just over 5k. But there are other areas of lake grove in middle country and three village SD with much higher taxes.
Big Barry's was only good thing ever around Lake Grove

Old 04-22-2015, 07:21 AM

5,511 posts, read 7,104,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Big Barry's was only good thing ever around Lake Grove
I miss that place, especially the barbque beef ribs, chuck wagon salad and the shotgun blasts!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I miss that place, especially the barbque beef ribs, chuck wagon salad and the shotgun blasts!
I like when you rolled the dice at end and that was your discount off check. Folks when they got snake eyes BOOED and folks when they got Boxcars cheered. You rolled the dice in a gold miners thing. Barry was a short little Jewish cowboy with a big hat.

Watch "Fresh Off the Boat" on TV based in the 1980s an they own a place called "Cattleman's Ranch" and it is just like Big Barry's

Old 04-22-2015, 07:56 AM

49 posts, read 58,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMike722 View Post
Taxes are ridiculous everywhere in NYC and Long Island area and you may find areas with lower taxes, but when you put it in context of living and working in NYC you may find the numbers work better on LI.

If you bought a house in NYC your property tax may be lower, but you will also be hit with a tax on your income (around 3.5-4%). So say you bought a nice single family in Queens - it might run you 500k-600k in a decent area with property tax in the area of $5,000. Then to afford to live there you probably need a household income of $150k+ a year, which would put your income taxes in the area of $5,250. Although your home may be worth more your mortgage payment would be higher because of the larger mortgage so you are looking at taxes and higher mortgage of about $10,000 to $14,000 annually. So although NYC has a ton of commercial revenue it still doesn't make it cheaper to live there - property and income tax wise.

If you put it in this context, you could find a house in Nassau Co, Long Island in the $350k to $500 with taxes around 8k to $11k in most areas and it would be less expensive than living and working in the "City" with its higher commercial tax base.

Although Taxes are "high" on Long Island an argument can be made (such as above) that it is actually a bargain when all these towns have to provide all the same schools and services as NYC, but in many areas of LI it can be done with a better quality of life then living in densely populated city area.
Agree with all of this. We recently moved to LI. Our taxes are high but are being grieved right now something that people on LI do often. When we first started house shopping we started looking in NJ (Essex County then Bergen County) and found the taxes were just as high with mediocre school districts plus no STAR credit. The areas with the better school districts were much more expensive.That's what pushed us to LI. IMO there more affordable (i.e. under $400K) houses available on LI in nicer areas than you find in NJ. Not sure about CT since we never looked there.

We come from NYC and were able to buy a decent house in Mass. Pk for under $400K. Once they stop taking out city taxes from our checks we will easily have an extra $400 a month net which is almost an extra $5K a year net that we can apply to our new real estate taxes.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:11 AM

54 posts, read 251,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbound2014 View Post
Agree with all of this. We recently moved to LI. Our taxes are high but are being grieved right now something that people on LI do often.
Unfortunately, there is no such system to "grieve" paying NYC income taxes so at least there is that to help with Long Island taxes. I know someone that just successfully grieved her taxes from 10,700 down to around 8,000 so a $2,700 annual reduction.

I don't believe in the system or find it fair, but I am happy for her. Don't hate the player, hate the game!

Old 04-22-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, there is no such system to "grieve" paying NYC income taxes so at least there is that to help with Long Island taxes. I know someone that just successfully grieved her taxes from 10,700 down to around 8,000 so a $2,700 annual reduction.

I don't believe in the system or find it fair, but I am happy for her. Don't hate the player, hate the game!
When I lived in the city nearly everyone in building had Long Island or NJ addresses. We had no kids in building so no one registering kids in schools and no one wanted to pay the taxes.

I used to look at a lot of paychecks in the past and always amazed at amount of folks in Rent Stabalized units or condos in LLCs where Hamptons house was "primary address"

Old 04-22-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
When I lived in the city nearly everyone in building had Long Island or NJ addresses. We had no kids in building so no one registering kids in schools and no one wanted to pay the taxes.

I used to look at a lot of paychecks in the past and always amazed at amount of folks in Rent Stabalized units or condos in LLCs where Hamptons house was "primary address"
According to this article:

Second Homes In New York May Have Severe Tax Consequences | Friedman LLP

NYS and NYC have been trying to crack down on what they determine is "statutory residency" as you mention in your post. They look at a lot of different factors to determine if you should pay NYC taxes.

I don't know how successful the city and state are at making the case and collecting NYC income taxes, but I guess it is a potential issue to be aware.

BTW, your post with the link to 90 Island Park with $4,000 annual taxes is making me consider downsizing. Super-Storm Sandy was only a "once in a hundred year" occurrence right?

Last edited by NYMike722; 04-22-2015 at 11:40 AM..

Old 04-22-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
According to this article:

Second Homes In New York May Have Severe Tax Consequences | Friedman LLP

NYS and NYC have been trying to crack down on what they determine is "statutory residency" as you mention in your post. They look at a lot of different factors to determine if you should pay NYC taxes.

I don't know how successful the city and state are at making the case and collecting NYC income taxes, but I guess it is a potential issue to be aware.

BTW, your post with the link to 90 Island Park with $4,000 annual taxes is making me consider downsizing. Super-Storm Sandy was only a "once in a hundred year" occurrence right?
Sandy was a once in 712 year event.

This is a four bedroom, three bath, 2,400 square foot water front home for sale all redone at 18 Marion Pl, Island Park NY, 11558 and taxes with STAR are $8,636

Island Park has many orginal condition bungalows for sale, 3 bed 1.5 bath type houses on small plots between 100k to 250K at that price you can pay cash, fix it up a bit and taxes are 3k to 5k.

Even with flood insurance they are crazy cheap to own.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Sandy was a once in 712 year event.
I like the way you think!

Where were you when I was looking to move back in 2010? In all sincerity, Island Park sounds like a great place to live especially with those taxes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island