Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:45 AM

63 posts, read 125,871 times

Advertisements

1) Is it difficult to get a seat during morning rush hour? I am especially interested in the 8:27 AM train to Atlantic Terminal and the 8:18, 8:33, 8:42, and 8:49 AM trains to Penn.
2) Are there any nice, safe neighborhoods within 10 minutes walking distance of the train? Looking for a house, not an apartment building or condo, if that matters.
3) Is it confusing to figure out which train to take in the evening to Mineola, since it's on so many different lines? When you go on the LIRR website they just tell you what times the train runs to Mineola and it doesn't say which line to take.
4) How often are the trains to and from Mineola delayed during rush hour?
5) Any other downsides of living near the Mineola train that I haven't thought of?

Thanks for any advice/information you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 12:20 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj2dc2nyc2li View Post
1) Is it difficult to get a seat during morning rush hour? I am especially interested in the 8:27 AM train to Atlantic Terminal and the 8:18, 8:33, 8:42, and 8:49 AM trains to Penn.
2) Are there any nice, safe neighborhoods within 10 minutes walking distance of the train? Looking for a house, not an apartment building or condo, if that matters.
3) Is it confusing to figure out which train to take in the evening to Mineola, since it's on so many different lines? When you go on the LIRR website they just tell you what times the train runs to Mineola and it doesn't say which line to take.
4) How often are the trains to and from Mineola delayed during rush hour?
5) Any other downsides of living near the Mineola train that I haven't thought of?

Thanks for any advice/information you can provide.
1. I haven't lived there in 3 years, no problems at all getting a seat at 8:15-8:45 I never stood in the 2 years I lived there and always had aisle or window seat.

3. The station is not confusing one side is going West other side East. Once in a blue moon it's changed but you can't miss it since every one is running to the other side at the same time.

4. Delays here are less than other stations as there are multiple lines running through it.

As far as housing goes I rented a house and has no issues at all, I can't comment to much on the area as I lived behind Sheridan lines and didn't venture outside my neighborhood to often. Also if you live in Mineola for $50 a year( it might be more now) you can park at the train station and find a spot in seconds!

Old 04-27-2015, 01:24 PM

481 posts, read 665,833 times
1)
8:49 is pretty much your best train if you want to grab a seat. Other than that, the rest of them you might want to go all the way to the front and there might be seat empty in middle.

2)
not much nice area 10 mins walk. You can get a parking pass from village for $55 a year.

3)
They don't show you which line. But if you just going to mineola why you want to know which line?

4)
Going back home normally never on time. But going to Penn is not bad.

5)

There are couple area I would stay away like Jefferson st and willis area. But other than that, it's pretty safe. I would rather live a bit further and drive though.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm7 View Post
1)
8:49 is pretty much your best train if you want to grab a seat. Other than that, the rest of them you might want to go all the way to the front and there might be seat empty in middle.

2)
not much nice area 10 mins walk. You can get a parking pass from village for $55 a year.

3)
They don't show you which line. But if you just going to mineola why you want to know which line?

4)

5)

There are couple area I would stay away like Jefferson st and willis area. But other than that, it's pretty safe. I would rather live a bit further and drive though.
What time do the lots that you can park in with the village pass fill up in the morning?

I probably should have asked that as one of my original questions.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm7 View Post
1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

At Penn Station, how do you know which train to get on to go to Mineola? Some lines, like the Montauk line, seem to stop there at some times and not others.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:59 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Look for the train to Mineola. What is so hard? The board will say Mineola, and the next train times, and the track. Why do you care where they go after that?

Old 04-28-2015, 01:26 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Mineola is not on so many different lines and I thought you wanted to live within walking distance to the train station.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Mineola is not on so many different lines and I thought you wanted to live within walking distance to the train station.
I do want to live walking distance, if we decide to live in Mineola. But someone said that the housing near the train is not that nice, and we are better off living somewhere where we can get a resident parking permit. So I am asking what time that parking lot fills up in the morning.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:23 PM

538 posts, read 1,007,773 times
The houses in that area are just fine. You can check out the houses behind the park, jr high school, and near Chaminade. All nice houses, well kept lawns, etc. All walkable!!!!

Old 04-28-2015, 04:08 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj2dc2nyc2li View Post
I do want to live walking distance, if we decide to live in Mineola. But someone said that the housing near the train is not that nice, and we are better off living somewhere where we can get a resident parking permit. So I am asking what time that parking lot fills up in the morning.
Ah, understood and SC gave you some additional information that may help with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island