Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 01:28 PM

25 posts, read 38,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
You may be talking about starter homes where people couldn't recover from Sandy. But the higher priced homes are still flying. Just look at the home values north of Beltagh, south of Jerusalem. They're going for significantly less than they were just a couple years ago. No flood issues there, just other issues. I'm seeing homes (that are priced right) still flying south of Merrick, in Bellmore, Seaford, Wantagh and Massapequa. Sandy is almost a distant memory for a lot of buyers. I'm not saying I'd buy south of Merrick. But a lot of people don't care anymore.
I'm talking about homes in the 400-550 range... not super luxury. We saw a home go from 550 all the way to the upper 300's over the course of a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 01:31 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galama View Post
I'm talking about homes in the 400-550 range... not super luxury. We saw a home go from 550 all the way to the upper 300's over the course of a year.
That home would be worth even less in N Bellmore.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
That home would be worth even less in N Bellmore.
That's just not true. I'm not sure if there's any published data out there on such a specific debate, but again, based on seeing many homes in both areas, south of merrick is noticeably less expensive for an equal home north of Merrick. Anecdotally, I would say ~8-10% less. It may seem different because the homes south of merrick on average are bigger and nicer. I do agree though that this dynamic may flip flop when Sandy is long forgotten.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
That's just not true. I'm not sure if there's any published data out there on such a specific debate, but again, based on seeing many homes in both areas, south of merrick is noticeably less expensive for an equal home north of Merrick. Anecdotally, I would say ~8-10% less. It may seem different because the homes south of merrick on average are bigger and nicer. I do agree though that this dynamic may flip flop when Sandy is long forgotten.
You really need to research home prices North where I said. People asked me the difference, I'm telling them. North Bellmore is just not up to snuff with south of Sunrise or Merrick. And those values reflect that. My best friend's home was just scooped up for $239k. And it was south of Beltagh, near Newbridge. It had last sold for $400k. The values are steadily declining.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
You really need to research home prices North where I said. People asked me the difference, I'm telling them. North Bellmore is just not up to snuff with south of Sunrise or Merrick. And those values reflect that. My best friend's home was just scooped up for $239k. And it was south of Beltagh, near Newbridge. It had last sold for $400k. The values are steadily declining.
I can't dispute that - was it purchased in 2005/6 originally? For that price I'm assuming it has to be 1 bath and maybe 1000 square feet?

Old 05-08-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I can't dispute that - was it purchased in 2005/6 originally? For that price I'm assuming it has to be 1 bath and maybe 1000 square feet?
No, it was built in '49. 4 bed/2 bath cape. 1400 sq ft.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
No, it was built in '49. 4 bed/2 bath cape. 1400 sq ft.
That's hard to believe but if it happened, it happened. There has to be more to the story - knock-down condition, bad location, etc. Searching recent sales on Zillow, I see another cape (3 beds 2 baths, 1300 square feet) that sold for $400,000+ just a few weeks ago. That's a tiny house. Also south of Beltagh, north of Sunrise. Things aren't as grim as you're making them out to be.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
That's hard to believe but if it happened, it happened. There has to be more to the story - knock-down condition, bad location, etc. Searching recent sales on Zillow, I see another cape (3 beds 2 baths, 1300 square feet) that sold for $400,000+ just a few weeks ago. That's a tiny house. Also south of Beltagh, north of Sunrise. Things aren't as grim as you're making them out to be.
Again...you have to really know the area to understand the prices. No, it wasn't a tear down. The cape you're speaking of...it's on a cul de sac? Circle drive?

Old 05-08-2015, 04:18 PM

I have family that sold in the presidents section, literally 7 houses north of Beltagh (and, honestly, Sunrise is the real determining factor for buyers, not Beltagh). Sold it for half million in 2009. It just sold again for $430. My parents sold theirs and same thing happened. Same section.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:52 PM

62 posts, read 105,886 times
Quote:
IMHO, north of Sunrise is not holding value. I can say that because I lived there and can see the vast differences over the past decade. South of sunrise still looks great and is holding value. JFK always ranked higher, you had more professionals raising their children in South Bellmore.
Could you provide specific examples of these differences you speak of without being PC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island