Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 06:51 AM

703 posts, read 1,173,816 times

Advertisements

At least 2.5 times income or at most 2.5 times? My vote is for at most, but some folks are comfortable being highly leveraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 06:55 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
As if most people follow that old logic. Tons of folks around here are in debt up to their eyeballs.
Lol exactly, very few people follow that logic anymore ESPECIALLY on LI!

Old 04-30-2015, 08:05 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,954,202 times
Folks I know that live there work on Wall Street and also are members of one club or another (plus the winter club, of course). Very high six or low seven figure income. Very expensive place to buy and live.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:09 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,954,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneyouwouldknow View Post
Thanks everyone - totally agree - all valid reasons as to WHY it has stayed the way it has for so so many years - and it will most likely not change any time soon.

So that said - anyone have any input on the inclusionary / exclusionary nature of the people (both adults and kids) that live there? Would love to hear your personal experiences!!
If you are asking how the white students at the high school interact with their black and Hispanic classmates...you may have difficulty getting an answer. LOL

Old 04-30-2015, 08:10 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
The median household income stats of places like LloydHarbor are essentially meaningless if you are trying to figure out if you can afford the lifestyle. Many people in the CSH district have huge amounts of money that would not count as 'household income' (inherited wealth, etc). Plus many people have live-in help whose salaries are counted in the median household income stats, which further makes the numbers artificially low.

In other words, the money that funds the lifestyles of many people in the CSH district is much, much higher than what census stats would lead you to believe.

That said, I do know many regular upper middle class families who live there who are income dependent- mostly in CSH but some in Laurel Hollow, Lloyd Harbor & Lloyd Neck as well. Not everyone is crazy rich, some have made pretty big sacrifices in other areas of their lives in other to afford CSH. If you are questioning if you would fit in based on your income, I would say probably pick another district unless you are prepared to deal with being in a district where so many are far wealthier than normal well-off people.

Maybe look at the northern areas of the Syosset district? Yes, there is also some crazy wealth there- but the Syosset district is much more economically diverse than CSH. You might be more comfortable there, and still be close to the water. I know a couple of families who recently moved to Oyster Bay Cove & are extremely happy there.
We lived in Woodbury for a couple of years prior to our move to Huntington and got a feel for Syosset, which is not for us.

It's not that we're unhappy where we are now. We just feel you can get more for your money in the CSH district compared to our current district (CSH has larger homes and 2 acre lots.) We're in one of the prime areas of our current school district and intend to do a large addition, but we've been "browsing" CSH for a while.

To be honest, my husband (and I) would rather move to CT (Weston, Westport, Wilton), but my parents still reside on the island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Here is a link to some stats for Cold Spring Harbor (trying to find out how recent the info is):

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

As was previously mentioned, not everyone who owns a home there is wealthy - I lived there for 17 years and certainly wasn't.
At the time, I commuted into the City and it was by far the easiest commute for me (ease as compared to Babylon and Huntington): a quick five minute ride to the CSH train station early in the morning - one of the nicest LIRR stations around!

The size of the SD resembles that of a private school more than a "normal" public school. I remember being astounded that the then Superintendent knew every student by name!
As a result of the small number of students, there were/are not as many elective options as say the Syosset or Huntington SDs - which might detract from the SD's appeal for some parents.
One thing is for certain, going on to College is practically a given and the school stats prove it.
Commuting isn't really an issue, as my husband doesn't have to commute to the city daily. We just need to be reasonably close to NYC (by vehicle) and international airports (JFK & Newark, although he uses LGA weekly.)

And college is a pretty much a given in our current district AND our home. We're also in a "smaller" district, albeit not as small as CSH.

I'm just trying to gauge where the newer/younger families stand. As other posters stated, are the families making a 800k living in a 1-1.5 million home the poor folks? Or are they the norm?

Last edited by Yac; 05-13-2015 at 05:41 AM..

Old 04-30-2015, 09:20 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
We lived in Woodbury for a couple of years prior to our move to Huntington and got a feel for Syosset, which is not for us.

It's not that we're unhappy where we are now. We just feel you can get more for your money in the CSH district compared to our current district (CSH has larger homes and 2 acre lots.) We're in one of the prime areas of our current school district and intend to do a large addition, but we've been "browsing" CSH for a while.

To be honest, my husband (and I) would rather move to CT (Weston, Westport, Wilton), but my parents still reside on the island.

Commuting isn't really an issue, as my husband doesn't have to commute to the city daily. We just need to be reasonably close to NYC (by vehicle) and international airports (JFK & Newark, although he uses LGA weekly.)

And college is a pretty much a given in our current district AND our home. We're also in a "smaller" district, albeit not as small as CSH.

I'm just trying to gauge where the newer/younger families stand. As other posters stated, are the families making a 800k living in a 1-1.5 million home the poor folks? Or are they the norm?
Let me put it this way. I know someone in Syosset who makes five million a years and says the rich folk live in Cold Spring Harbor and he would not fit in.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:26 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Let me put it this way. I know someone in Syosset
of course you do.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:47 AM

5 posts, read 8,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
If you are asking how the white students at the high school interact with their black and Hispanic classmates...you may have difficulty getting an answer. LOL

Ha! That's exactly what I'm asking - don't want to move into a district / neighborhood and have it play out like a plot from an old 80s movie - where the rich kids are super snobby and don't interact anyone that's not exactly like them (white & wealthy). I have a hard time believing in 2015, there are still places / people like this out there. But I don't want my kids to be the ones to burst their bubble. I've heard both positive and negative stories from friends "of color".

Would love to hear from residents perspective what they feel / have seen.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:08 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post

Based on my experience and observations, they are not the poor folks!

Old 04-30-2015, 11:12 AM

883 posts, read 3,719,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneyouwouldknow View Post
Ha! That's exactly what I'm asking - don't want to move into a district / neighborhood and have it play out like a plot from an old 80s movie - where the rich kids are super snobby and don't interact anyone that's not exactly like them (white & wealthy). I have a hard time believing in 2015, there are still places / people like this out there. But I don't want my kids to be the ones to burst their bubble. I've heard both positive and negative stories from friends "of color".

Would love to hear from residents perspective what they feel / have seen.
I have friends there who don't fit the mold- and even though they are white & relatively well-off they are having a hard time, particularly the wife who is a SAHM. And kids who don't fit the mold often have a very hard time. The district is tiny which makes it even harder on a kid doesn't fit in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island