Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 06:58 PM

115 posts, read 134,026 times

Advertisements

So my scamangano school zone speed hearing is coming up for Lido BLvd - anybody having their hearings yet and what's going on? What are they presenting as their evidence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 07:27 PM

169 posts, read 675,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatingforabuck View Post
So my scamangano school zone speed hearing is coming up for Lido BLvd - anybody having their hearings yet and what's going on? What are they presenting as their evidence?
They were suspended due to not having adequate notification, blinking lights etc.. These lights, etc.. are now up at the Bayliss school on Woodbury Rd so my suspicion is that they'll update these for most if not all and turn them back on ASAP or before 2015/16 school year starts.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:28 PM

Thanks EUGENET - good for you!.

The legislature repealed the cameras so they are not lawful to put back up unless the legislature votes to allow them again. It is still not lawful to speed though and I'm hearing Mangano keeps trying to get the young cops to ticket for school zone speed and that he wants them back - of course he does. But he'll probably wait until after the election next year.

You're right - there was no blinking light on Lido - couldn't even see the school from the road & had no idea there was a school there till I got a ticket in the mail so yes - efinitely inadequate signage

but what's the adequate notification thing about? I figure they have to have records showing the cameras were properly installed, maintained and inspected - I heard the law requires calibration and inspection every so often - not sure what it is if it is every 4 months or what but doubtful ATS does that.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:32 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
What? I thought they were PERMANENTLY voted down by our oh so wise legislators! If they try and sneak this ripoff program back in, there will be hell to pay from their constituents. Want to give out tickets in school zones? Get the police to patrol there when waiting for calls instead of hanging out at the firehouse with the vollies.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:47 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What? I thought they were PERMANENTLY voted down by our oh so wise legislators! If they try and sneak this ripoff program back in, there will be hell to pay from their constituents. Want to give out tickets in school zones? Get the police to patrol there when waiting for calls instead of hanging out at the firehouse with the vollies.
They were repealed. There is nothing to prevent the legislature from voting to re-institute them, but they cannot simply "sneak" it back in.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:06 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatingforabuck View Post
You should join the Facebook group Nassau County Residents Opposing Speed Cameras if you haven't already; they provide advice regarding hearings and updates with the scam cams.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
You should join the Facebook group Nassau County Residents Opposing Speed Cameras if you haven't already; they provide advice regarding hearings and updates with the scam cams.

Ok thanks. Done and Done.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Post Merrick Road in Lynbrook

I was driving eastbound yesterday on Merrick Rd. in Lynbrook. I look over at the school and I see American Traffic Solutions (ATS) vans and some guys standing around there. I looked up at the camera and it was still there. Silly me thought they were finally going to remove their property and pack up and go home!

Coming back westbound, I got a good luck at the camera pole and besides the original camera, there are at least five other ones pointed in all different directions and a couple of blinking lights on it.

This is all that used to be up (picture on left):

The other three pictures are of a portable booth and mobile vehicles they hide cameras in where permanent ones on poles are not installed. If you see one of these, look out!

I will try and take a pic of the monstrosity in Lynbrook and post. The setup is a lot more "formidable" than it used to be. I guess they are adding extra tricks to give tickets since the signage and blinking lights are up around that school.

This situation makes me feel like Cartman:

Big Brother is everywhere ... and he wants our money!

Old 05-20-2015, 12:38 PM

629 posts, read 962,848 times
I pass by this Merrick location 5x/week. I know they left the cameras up, but I stopped paying attention to anything else set up. Guess I better pay more attention again. I do wonder though if those cameras would be in effect when school is out for the summer, if they really do end up coming back?

Old 05-20-2015, 01:14 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Blinking yellow lights are uncommon and would remind drivers to watch out and show them when to slow down in a school zone. Speeders would speed regardless of course - let them pay more taxes than us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island