Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 08:13 AM

256 posts, read 311,381 times

Advertisements

This question is for Nassau:

Can I use part of my backyard (let's say 30%) for business?
If house is zoned residential, is there a chance to use backyard for storage? It doesn't involve customers, it is just storage for our goods. It has to be legal. I was just wondering if anyone here actually uses their backyard for business purposes?

Looking to buy a house, but there are so many restrictions, we have narrowed our search to towns east of Merrick, ending with Massapequa. I am not sure if it is possible, will definitely go to Town Hall but I am interested to hear any experiences here. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 08:19 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara View Post

If house is zoned residential, is there a chance to use backyard for storage? It doesn't involve customers, it is just storage for our goods. It has to be legal. I was just wondering if anyone here actually uses their backyard for business purposes?

Looking to buy a house, but there are so many restrictions, we have narrowed our search to towns east of Merrick, ending with Massapequa. I am not sure if it is possible, will definitely go to Town Hall but I am interested to hear any experiences here. Thank you.
I'm sure there are tons of people who use their backyard for their business. To me the issue is less about what the town thinks but more about insurance/liability. Is it a part-time business or full-time?

If you're storing papers, that's one thing. If your business needs to store gasoline/chemicals/etc. that's another.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:02 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:

The situation is not the business, but SHEDS. Towns have all kinds of requirements for sheds: how far can they be from the property line? How big they can be? What materials can they be made of? Can you have more than one shed or is that the limit?

If you're not using sheds but just the backyard and tarps, it could cause a neighborhood pest issue and attract destructive wildlife. Plus your neighbors will think it's an eyesore and could complain to the town that you are not maintaining your property and the town could come out and make you take it all away or give you a ticket. If you don't take it all away, the town can do it themselves and bill you for the cost.

What about storage units in storage facilities? They come in all kinds of sizes and some facilities are open 24/7 and have climate control for both winter and summer. I think your business materials will be safer in there.

If you're determined to store in the backyard, make sure your business is insured for losses. I don't think a homeowner's policy will cover business inventory. I could be wrong, so if I am, someone step in who knows more about homeowner's insurance please!

Old 05-06-2015, 09:57 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
What are you looking to store and what are you looking to store it in?

Old 05-06-2015, 10:27 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I seriously doubt your neighbors will go for this even if you did manage to get last town hall , which I doubt you will.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:21 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
It's interesting the way you quote a percentage "let's say 30%", is it your intent to try and deduct a percentage of the homes cost/taxes as a business expense? If so then that won't fly because the property is zoned residential not business.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:15 PM

256 posts, read 311,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
It's interesting the way you quote a percentage "let's say 30%", is it your intent to try and deduct a percentage of the homes cost/taxes as a business expense? If so then that won't fly because the property is zoned residential not business.
This was my question exactly. So, it is not possible to use backyard like you use part of your home as home office when house is zoned residential?

We would like to build a shed and greenhouse in our backyard.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:33 PM

402 posts, read 518,263 times
You can deduct some home use for a business purpose but it's one of the top red flags for the IRS. We own a business but don't claim any home use on our taxes (even though i use our home office once a week).

Old 05-06-2015, 04:50 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
This was my question exactly. So, it is not possible to use backyard like you use part of your home as home office when house is zoned residential?

We would like to build a shed and greenhouse in our backyard.

Regardless of whether or not your Town permits business use, in order to be eligible for the "home office deduction", the IRS stipulates "regular and exclusive (business) use" of that part of your residence and stipulates that it be the principal place of your business (with some exceptions).

Here's a link to the relevant IRS site:

Home Office Deduction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: