Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 06:14 AM

814 posts, read 911,469 times

Advertisements

Staying humbled and grounded despite what level of wealth you have achieved is the way to do it.

My wife and I bring in a decent salary buy I still drive my Dodge truck, shop at Target, most fancy thing I have is a Bulova military watch I purchased and even that was less then 500, no reason to be flashy, I impress people by treating them with respect and kindness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 06:21 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Staying humbled and grounded despite what level of wealth you have achieved is the way to do it.
That is relative though. People who can afford a $10m house and rolls royces can claim they are staying humbled by owning a $2m house and driving land rovers, as well as sending kids to the public SDs instead of boarding schools. That's the NYC metro. You have lots of people living here who are so high in the upper strata such that what may appear to be "luxuries" elsewhere is a step down for them.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:00 AM

814 posts, read 911,469 times
I like my Hemi Dodge too much, a Range Rover would be a step down from it. Now the old Range Rovers or perhaps even an International Scout, real off road vehicles I would take one of them.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:51 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
You can't tell the difference whether wealth was earned or not by the houses that they own, trips they take or shopping money their spouses have. Wealth is wealth.
Some people I went to HS with who inherited wealth from grandparents (or parents if they died young) had no work ethic because everything was handed to them and no money management skills because their parents took care of details like that for them. They blew all that money on crap (or drugs, which is even more sad)! Now some of them are cab drivers and bagel store employees ... when previously they could have opened their own cab stand or bagel shop! My dad believes that if a kid wants to be in the family business, they get put in the lowest job so they can work their way up and learn it from the ground up. A lot of family businesses don't operate that way. My uncle (married my aunt) had inherited a family business and he employed all these useless relatives and paid them too much because they were always asking for more. The golden goose's eggs dried up and the business went under.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
That is relative though. People who can afford a $10m house and rolls royces can claim they are staying humbled by owning a $2m house and driving land rovers, as well as sending kids to the public SDs instead of boarding schools. That's the NYC metro. You have lots of people living here who are so high in the upper strata such that what may appear to be "luxuries" elsewhere is a step down for them.
One thing I find interesting is that there are not many exotic cars seen on LI or in NYC for that matter, but you see TONS of them on the road in parts of California and Florida. Bumper to bumper on South Beach especially! Look at this place in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area:

https://www.thecollection.com/

Nice to browse ... but ...

Old 05-10-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I like my Hemi Dodge too much, a Range Rover would be a step down from it. Now the old Range Rovers or perhaps even an International Scout, real off road vehicles I would take one of them.
Range Rovers are known for problems sometimes. If you buy one used and intend to keep it for awhile, buy it from Carmax even though you could get one cheaper elsewhere (Carmax is overpriced for the most part). The reason is they have a great car warranty you can get where you only pay a $50 copay when ANYTHING goes wrong with the car.

PS: Maybe you'd like one of the old, very wide Humvees (that were actually like the military vehicles, not like the later models). This lawyer (Bruce Davis) who ran more TV commercials than the now bankrupt Binder & Binder, used to tool around in an orange one in the Hamptons, although it was too big for the lanes in many streets. Here's Bruce Davis (love the mustache; if I recall correctly, he was a cop before being a lawyer):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77MiWit1lO0

Some of you must remember him.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 05-10-2015 at 12:13 PM..

Old 05-10-2015, 12:13 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Most are public school teachers, school officials, MTA/LIRR workers, police officers.

Pretty much overpaid LI government officials who are lucky enough to know the right people who can get them into the job.
As if you didn't have exactly the same opportunities as those people. Maybe with teachers and the MTA, knowing people will get you in, but with the cops, knowing people doesn't help you until after you're on the job.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
As if you didn't have exactly the same opportunities as those people. Maybe with teachers and the MTA, knowing people will get you in, but with the cops, knowing people doesn't help you until after you're on the job.
Connected applicants can sometimes get favors when the brass goes down the civil service test list, rejecting candidates until they get to the connected person's number.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:49 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
In the eyes of those who don't have wealth.

Those who have it don't particularly care what other people think and just go about their business either way. Funny how that works.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:01 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
buy it from Carmax even though you could get one cheaper elsewhere (Carmax is overpriced for the most part). The reason is they have a great car warranty you can get where you only pay a $50 copay when ANYTHING goes wrong with the car.
Does Carmax $50 warranty copay cover spare parts of their European-made vehicles that break down? Sounds like a good deal if you can replace a tire or sparkplug of an Audi Q5 or Volvo CX60 with only a $50 copay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island