Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 05:31 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,154,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
What happens when the average is $20K? If not for the tax cap I think we'd be there already. How is this sustainable when jobs are disappearing on LI?
Oh, I don't think it's sustainable. I am not a tax apologist and feel that you get very poor services supporting a crumbling infrastructure for your tax bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Hospital jobs, union building trades jobs, teachers, police, accountants, scientists, engineers, pilots, etc. many jobs out here and in nyc metro area pay 60k+ easily.
The key is "NYC metro area". I'm not aware of too many openings for engineers, pilots and scientists on LI - certainly not out of proportion to a population of around 4 million in Nassau/Suffolk.

And with StartupNY generating less than 100 jobs despite hundreds of millions spent and tax concessions given it's clear that the program is a failure.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:52 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,827,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
What happens when the average is $20K?
Good question - you'll have people leaving but will there be as many coming in as there still are now? Everyone's looking for decent housing in good school districts especially in the $400-$600k range - are they willing to pay $25k to go with it? Probably, just not as many. I don't think that is enough to change how things work around here though. There are ways to bring in additional revenue for the towns/county, but how do you do that with the school tax portion which is the bigger factor?

Old 05-15-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Good question - you'll have people leaving but will there be as many coming in as there still are now? Everyone's looking for decent housing in good school districts especially in the $400-$600k range - are they willing to pay $25k to go with it? Probably, just not as many. I don't think that is enough to change how things work around here though. There are ways to bring in additional revenue for the towns/county, but how do you do that with the school tax portion which is the bigger factor?
Extend the California model - increase sales tax to 9-10%, create an income tax for Nassau and Suffolk (1-2%) and add in a bunch of other surcharges and fees. Done and done.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:17 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,423,970 times
If taxes go up to 25K for an average house in Nassau it just means home prices will fall. Folks will pay it and if they cant they sell the home at a cheaper price to make up for the higher taxes

Old 05-15-2015, 02:22 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,981,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
If taxes go up to 25K for an average house in Nassau it just means home prices will fall. Folks will pay it and if they cant they sell the home at a cheaper price to make up for the higher taxes
I think it depends on the school district. But to back up your point...we were interested in a home that would've fit our needs perfectly. Asking price was $649, taxes were $23k. We weren't going to pay that, in hopes we could possibly win a grievance (that's never guaranteed), when the other homes were paying $16k in taxes. Long story short, they've dropped the price by $100k to make up for those taxes.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:36 PM

538 posts, read 1,004,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
I think it depends on the school district. But to back up your point...we were interested in a home that would've fit our needs perfectly. Asking price was $649, taxes were $23k. We weren't going to pay that, in hopes we could possibly win a grievance (that's never guaranteed), when the other homes were paying $16k in taxes. Long story short, they've dropped the price by $100k to make up for those taxes.
You still should've moved down to NC or SC like you planned. Lol.

It would have saved 200k in home price, and 22k a year in taxes.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:53 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,981,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC here I come View Post
You still should've moved down to NC or SC like you planned. Lol.

It would have saved 200k in home price, and 22k a year in taxes.
In the end, I couldn't leave my family.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:19 PM

538 posts, read 1,004,008 times
It's all good. No use saving money if you're going to be miserable for the rest of your life missing everyone.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:21 PM

22,648 posts, read 36,629,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Extend the California model - increase sales tax to 9-10%, create an income tax for Nassau and Suffolk (1-2%) and add in a bunch of other surcharges and fees. Done and done.
People won't put up with that on top of already high taxes. Plus even the wealthiest, best schools in California don't have bus service and they are funded like private schools by the people who use them. That's not going to fly here when the tax bill is already so high. My friend lives in Hillsborough, CA in a house they paid $4 million for and their taxes are ridiculously low for that price. The same house in a comparable area of Long Island would have taxes of $60K.

But - they have no bus service and they fund everything out of pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island