Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 04:03 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with the LIer's comment. When we had considered moving down south, my first thought was how much more integrated the communities were and how much better the communication was. LI is a vacuum.
The South, speaking generally, is much more segregated and racist than anywhere in the NYC area. Someone would be crazy to move South for good race relations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 04:32 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
Quote:
But it's someone's right to be a racist. Your southern comment doesn't apply, but the sarcasm only speaks volumes about the obnoxious behavior that the rest of the country knows the NE for.
This was the obnoxious quote:
We know that there are many Jewish on Long Island. Do they tend to live in their own neighborhoods, or are they dispersed through the Long Island? What neighborhoods are these. Are there homosexual communities, or are they only in New York City. Are there Islamic people, or are they only in New York City as well?"

As has been stated before, if she had said that she wanted to live in a community with a specific demographic majority to be with people like herself, no one would have objected. Posters often ask to name the communities with a lot of Asians or Jews or Catholics or Families or whatever. If you came here and stated that you were looking for a community that had a lot of young children or other young mothers, nothing about that would be objectionable. There would have been no contention had she said that she was an XYZ Christian and she wanted to move to an area with a predominantly XYZ Christian population.

But the above post is very different. She implied that these groups of people are objectionable and she wants to avoid them. She asked if they were confined to the city, which implies that by living on Long Island, she could avoid being contaminated by them as if there were someting inferior or distasteful about these groups. It has nothing to do with whether one registers as a Democrat or Republican or follows the Tea Party. It was not a political statement about being liberal or conservative minded. I'm not going to nitpick over the words and argue the semantics. The message the OP made was loud and clear. It was an offensive question and not worthy of a respectful answer. If she disagreed with the interpretation, she could have come back and explained that she wasn't putting other groups down, but just that she wants to live and raise her children with others of her own cultural group. However, she has not done that.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:41 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The South, speaking generally, is much more segregated and racist than anywhere in the NYC area. Someone would be crazy to move South for good race relations.
Long Islanders speak liberally, but live, for the most part, separately. Don't confuse LI with NYC. LI is its own entity, good and bad lol.

Last edited by LoveBeingAMommy; 05-17-2015 at 04:52 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
We know that there are many Jewish on Long Island. Do they tend to live in their own neighborhoods, or are they dispersed through the Long Island? What neighborhoods are these. Are there homosexual communities, or are they only in New York City. Are there Islamic people, or are they only in New York City as well?"

As has been stated before, if she had said that she wanted to live in a community with a specific demographic majority to be with people like herself, no one would have objected. Posters often ask to name the communities with a lot of Asians or Jews or Catholics or Families or whatever. If you came here and stated that you were looking for a community that had a lot of young children or other young mothers, nothing about that would be objectionable. There would have been no contention had she said that she was an XYZ Christian and she wanted to move to an area with a predominantly XYZ Christian population.

But the above post is very different. She implied that these groups of people are objectionable and she wants to avoid them. She asked if they were confined to the city, which implies that by living on Long Island, she could avoid being contaminated by them as if there were someting inferior or distasteful about these groups. It has nothing to do with whether one registers as a Democrat or Republican or follows the Tea Party. It was not a political statement about being liberal or conservative minded. I'm not going to nitpick over the words and argue the semantics. The message the OP made was loud and clear. It was an offensive question and not worthy of a respectful answer. If she disagreed with the interpretation, she could have come back and explained that she wasn't putting other groups down, but just that she wants to live and raise her children with others of her own cultural group. However, she has not done that.

She doesn't have to explain herself. She can choose to live anywhere she wants and not like a certain group (or groups) of people. I'd much rather her frankness than the bs way you would have preferred she ask the SAME question. It was a direct question, worthy of a direct answer.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:26 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
Quote:
She doesn't have to explain herself. She can choose to live anywhere she wants and not like a certain group (or groups) of people. I'd much rather her frankness than the bs way you would have preferred she ask the SAME question. It was a direct question, worthy of a direct answer.
Her exclusionary question would have been more direct if she had said, I don't like Muslims, LBGT, Blacks and Jews and want to avoid them. Where can I live on Long Island so that I can avoid these people? I will agree with you that her original question was frank. And certainly, she has the right to be as racist and homophic as she wants, as long as she is not violating any anti-discrimination laws.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:08 PM

5 posts, read 7,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

Excuse me, but I asked if these groups tended to live in their own neighborhoods/towns. The OP of this thread asked about "Jewish Towns," so it would seem to confirm that yes, they in fact do.

I know that homosexuals tend to live in their own "villages", typically in urban ares. I was asking if there was such a "village" on Long Island given it's close proximity to New York City.

List of gay villages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I asked about Islamic people for the same reason. I did NOT assign a judgement to these questions - I simply asked them.

Yes, I prefer to raise my children in an environment with those who have family values similar to my own. That is my prerogative and freedom, the same way Jewish families are seeking out "Jewish Towns" for similar reasons. Nobody accused the OP of saying he/she finds non-Jewish people distasteful, yet the OP essentially asked the same thing I did. Most people want to live among people with the same values.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unitedbygrace78 View Post
Excuse me, but I asked if these groups tended to live in their own neighborhoods/towns. The OP of this thread asked about "Jewish Towns," so it would seem to confirm that yes, they in fact do.

I know that homosexuals tend to live in their own "villages", typically in urban ares. I was asking if there was such a "village" on Long Island given it's close proximity to New York City.

I asked about Islamic people for the same reason. I did NOT assign a judgement to these questions - I simply asked them.

Yes, I prefer to raise my children in an environment with those who have family values similar to my own. That is my prerogative and freedom, the same way Jewish families are seeking out "Jewish Towns" for similar reasons. Nobody accused the OP of saying he/she finds non-Jewish people distasteful, yet the OP essentially asked the same thing I did. Most people want to live among people with the same values.
You are going to find gay students, gay pride clubs in high schools, and gay families throughout Long Island.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:21 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unitedbygrace78 View Post

Don't assume everything on Wikipedia is factual and true......

Old 05-18-2015, 07:26 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,716 times
Quote:
You are going to find gay students, gay pride clubs in high schools, and gay families throughout Long Island.
Yes, they've become quite the plague in recent years.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Yes, they've become quite the plague in recent years.
Your disgusting words...NOT mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island