Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 12:36 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times

Advertisements

Trying to figure out what the average two bedroom condo pays each month in maint? Hard to figure out as in addition to maint folks often have special assessments not included in the real estate ad.

One building had lets say a maint fee, then one assessment like $150 a month for new elevators and another $125 a month for a new roof. Kinda like they are hiding real monthly costs.

So how much are real monthly fees for condos on Long Island?

If you bought an average two bedroom 1.5 bath Condo around 1,200 square feet in a basic building how much would you expect monthly maint would be? What would you consider cheap and what would you consider expensive.

You see lots of studies on Manhattan average maint on condos and coops but you never see anything that targets averages on Long Island. You would think buyers would want that info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 12:48 PM

400 posts, read 761,096 times
I think it is a pretty subjective fee... It really depends on the place and the amenities they are providing. When I used to live in my condo (6 yrs ago) (2bdrm,2.5ba), the fee was about $450 per month, they had a pool, gym, landscapers etc.. attached unit condo, with garage.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:53 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times
There's no rhyme or reason to those fees. My parents live in a condo. The condo won a tax grievance. The taxes were cut in half, and the maintenance fees went up 35% at the same time. Plus you have to worry about assessments for roofing repair, road repair, etc, etc.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
There's no rhyme or reason to those fees. My parents live in a condo. The condo won a tax grievance. The taxes were cut in half, and the maintenance fees went up 35% at the same time. Plus you have to worry about assessments for roofing repair, road repair, etc, etc.

A condo the unit owners pay the property tax so that must be a coop.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:18 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
A condo the unit owners pay the property tax so that must be a coop.

No. It's a condo. My parents pay their taxes. But the condo grieved the entire development taxes.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
No. It's a condo. My parents pay their taxes. But the condo grieved the entire development taxes.
That is a good deal. Yacht Club in Island Park is one Condo that did it that way. It works out well as when they win condo association gets cash for refund then pays back owners. For folks in arrears they take the refund towards back maint before they pay owners.

The condo I own each individual owner could sign up with the firm picked by condo to grieve taxes and would pay 1/3 of refund upon winning.

We sent out two mailings, spoke about it at annual meeting and even called a few folks. We only got 40% of building to sign on. Oddly none grieved on their own or hired their own guy.

So next year 40% of units will pay 20 percent less property taxes. It sucks that by year three of this building may be forced to grieve entire building and pay the fee so our sales dont get out of wack with such different tax rates.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
how much are the taxes on the two bedroom condo? We are grieving so interesting to see what other buildings got in nassau county?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island