Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 08:37 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Taxes are based on school district as well as property size and house sq footage.

So according to you, an acre of land in Northport will have the same taxes as an acre of land in Brentwood??????

Take a gander on MLS and then come back to answer my question. Location Location Location

And a 60x100 property in Massapequa will have the same taxes as a 60X100 property in Elmont? Tell me more about why I pay more taxes than you please.
First of all.. accept for commercial space you'll be hard pressed to find an acre of land in Brentwood!!!

Secondly.. you're right..location location location and surrounding yourself with "your demographic". That won't change regardless of school consolidation. Do you think if you live in Dix Hills your child will attend Brentwood H.S.. PLEASE!!! No.. your child will attend the nearest school.. of which all the students in that nearest school will attend.. and guess what.. they will be the same "demographic" as you!! WHY.. because they live in the SAME LOCATION!!!!!

Location, Location , Location..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 08:39 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
First of all.. accept for commercial space you'll be hard pressed to find an acre of land in Brentwood!!!

Secondly.. you're right..location location location and surrounding yourself with "your demographic". That won't change regardless of school consolidation. Do you think if you live in Dix Hills your child will attend Brentwood H.S.. PLEASE!!! No.. your child will attend the nearest school.. of which all the students in that nearest school will attend.. and guess what.. they will be the same "demographic" as you!! WHY.. because they live in the SAME LOCATION!!!!!

Location, Location , Location..
Of course, I know that about Brentwood. That has nothing to do with my point. Whether you can or you CAN"T find an acre in Brentwood, you get the idea, don't you? I was simply illustrating the difference b/w location, school districts, and price of homes/taxes.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Do you think if you live in Dix Hills your child will attend Brentwood H.S.. PLEASE!!! No.. your child will attend the nearest school.. of which all the students in that nearest school will attend.. and guess what.. they will be the same "demographic" as you!! WHY.. because they live in the SAME LOCATION!!!!!

Don't be so sure of that. Children would surely get "bussed" around to equalize the proportion of races in a school.

That very thing happened in Dix Hills FYI and that is one reason I would not buy a home there. I don't think it is fair for one's child to be bussed to a FURTHER school simply b/c they MUST meet a quota for more "minorities" (b/c the section you live in is million dollar homes and there are not enough minorities in the area zoned for that school). So your child will get bussed to a further school to level things out. So NO< you will not be surrounded by your demographic (income wise) as you state you would be.

That very thing is also happening in Huntington and that is what is DRIVING down the property values. In LI, home values are mostly effected by school district for this very reason.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Don't be so sure of that. Children would surely get "bussed" around to equalize the proportion of races in a school.

That very thing happened in Dix Hills FYI and that is one reason I would not buy a home there.

That very thing is happening in Huntington and that is what is DRIVING down the property values.

First.. we're arguing in circles..
Umm.. property values are going down EVERYWHERE!!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
First.. we're arguing in circles..
Umm.. property values are going down EVERYWHERE!!
Oh Jeez. Do you read the news? Newsday? The problem in Huntington is unrelated the values/prices going down everywhere. The main problem lies in the disaccord within the school district alone. The problem with homes in the Huntington and South Huntington SD's remain, despite whether home values all over the US were skyrocketing OR sluggish. And that is due to one HUGE demographic, much of it coming from the rundown, crime ridden, illegal prominent parts of Huntington Station (which exists NO matter what the home values on LI are).

Old 01-28-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Of course, I know that about Brentwood. That has nothing to do with my point. Whether you can or you CAN"T find an acre in Brentwood, you get the idea, don't you? I was simply illustrating the difference b/w location, school districts, and price of homes/taxes.

No.. I don't. . becaues if your plots of land were broken down into smalle r plots of land with smaller houses your taxes wouldn't be as high as the tax burden would be more spread out.. REmember.. the less people there are to pay for something the more it's going to cost each individual to pay for it..
Admin costs etc in SD like Brentwood are the same as they are in other districts.. it's the extra's that your SD is paying for.. the AP programs, sports programs.. etc.. but that is such a small part of the budget that it doesnt' make THAT much of a difference.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
No.. I don't. . becaues if your plots of land were broken down into smalle r plots of land with smaller houses your taxes wouldn't be as high as the tax burden would be more spread out.. REmember.. the less people there are to pay for something the more it's going to cost each individual to pay for it..
Admin costs etc in SD like Brentwood are the same as they are in other districts.. it's the extra's that your SD is paying for.. the AP programs, sports programs.. etc.. but that is such a small part of the budget that it doesnt' make THAT much of a difference.

MLSLI.com - Find a Home

So if TWO areas are zoned for acres, (since you are stuck on Brentwood, as opposed to the point.... let's say another acre zoned area), why then are these two homes extremely different in price and tax cost, please tell me? Why do you think that is?

MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,072 times
Of course I meant to say I love my EXCLUSIVE community, and yes, I certainly did mean that I don't care to share it with most folks. Why do you think I love it so much? I have no burning desire to live in close proximity to owners of luxury cars (where did that discussion come from?), but I certainly do like living amongst people who value things like education and cultural exposure (acquired via trips to the opera and foreign travel, not via MTV and neighborhood bodegas, thank you). And I love that my neighbors take wonderful care of their properties, which frees me from worrying about things like RVs or junkers parked on the lawns. And I love that my school district provides a solid education and that young children can still maintain their innocence for a while longer, and that I have a reasonable expectation that their classmates, too, come from households like mine that are, thankfully, free of things like drug use, criminality, and neglect. I have many friends with kids in districts all over the Island who are quite disgusted with the negative developments in the schools. Why wouldn't anyone give their families their best shot at a positive lifestyle? And given half a chance, who wouldn't do it in an exclusive community? I pay through the nose in taxes (income, property and school). It's difficult, yes, but worth it to me, for sure. In return, I have an expectation as to who my neighbors are going to be. We are able to perpetuate the cycle here because they have the same willingness to pay exorbitant costs to live here, along with the same expectations I have. The end result is a solid, safe, attractive community of like-minded people who send their children to very good schools. I don't believe for a nanosecond that any griper on this board wouldn't give their right arm to move their family into an "exclusive" neighborhood. Heck, I'd be griping too if I lived in most other places.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:41 PM

210 posts, read 671,305 times
RELAX BOYS AND GIRLS! Property taxes consist of two (somewhat) equal parts... school taxes and town taxes. Taxes are determined by the value of the home, including the land and structure, but certain areas enjoy lower taxes because industry/commercial entities pick up the slack. Half Hollow Hills SD, including the 110 strip is a good example of this.

That said, property taxes make no sense... why does a new home, worth $1M pay HIGHER taxes then a house with the same value that's 100 years old?

Old 01-28-2008, 09:44 PM

210 posts, read 671,305 times
Quote:
No substance whatsoever.. he sounds like an inflated gas bag that is just boosting his bologne.... Funny how one side of the room stood up at one point and the others just sat there like yeah.. whatever.. LOL But I guess the debat on all that would be for another board..LOL
It will be interesting to see who will be standing up there next year... this is not a dull campaign season! I know who I want, but will keep him (or her) out if it for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island