U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-29-2008, 12:33 PM

5,218 posts, read 1,952,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Do you not comprehend what I wrote????

Why do you insist on MISQUOTING ME? I never said students from OTHER districts will be bussed to new districts.

I never said anything anywhere that resembled your above statement of students from Roosevelt being bussed to Roslyn.

I referred to students of the SAME DISTRICT getting bussed around within the SAME district.

This conversation is pointless. You obviously have limited understanding, and that shows in your repeated misquotes of what I wrote.
Actually .. regarding the Hicksville thing yes.. you did not say that.. but earlier in our arguments you argued the fact that students wouldn't neccesarily only be going to there neighborhood schools but could possibly be bussed to other schools that would be within the consolidated countywide district for more diversity..which would equate to maybe a handfull of students from outside thet "neighborhood" being mixed in with students with in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-29-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Actually .. regarding the Hicksville thing yes.. you did not say that.. but earlier in our arguments you argued the fact that students wouldn't neccesarily only be going to there neighborhood schools but could possibly be bussed to other schools that would be within the consolidated countywide district for more diversity..which would equate to maybe a handfull of students from outside thet "neighborhood" being mixed in with students with in the neighborhood.

woops.. I meant the Huntington thing.. sorry.

Unread 01-29-2008, 12:56 PM

175 posts, read 427,687 times
T-Mom,
Quick question: In "lesser performing schools" what do you attribute the poor test scores/performance to?

Unread 01-29-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPedro View Post
T-Mom,
Quick question: In "lesser performing schools" what do you attribute the poor test scores/performance to?

I attribute them to lack of parenting at home, for one. But primarily I think a lot has to do with english not being the first language of either the students OR more improtantly the parents at home. Environment does play a role ,and in a neighborhood where both parents are working 2 or 3 min wage jobs and hte student has to work to contribute to pay bills, their school work will suffer.

Yes.. bussing them to privledge schools may or may not help their education.. the argument is moer about how they will affect YOUR son/daughter and overall education in the school as a whole and I don't think that a few underpriveldged students mixed in will effect the overall performance of the neighborhood school.

Unread 01-29-2008, 01:39 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 559,379 times
But Tristans Mommy -- do you not see that each and every one of the issues you yourself acknowledged above (lack of parenting, impaired language, adverse home environment, strained finances in the home, negatively impacted school work) directly affects every other child in the classroom because the already limited teaching resources are taken away from the unaffected children, because the teachers have to devote more time to the children affected by the conditions listed above? How can you not get this? That's exactly what we are seeking to remove our children from when we place them in higher taxed districts. Parental neglect and even abuse in the home are terrible things for children to have to suffer, and when they do, everyone around them is adversely affected. You'd better believe it.

Unread 01-29-2008, 01:53 PM

1,732 posts, read 3,667,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTP View Post
But Tristans Mommy -- do you not see that each and every one of the issues you yourself acknowledged above (lack of parenting, impaired language, adverse home environment, strained finances in the home, negatively impacted school work) directly affects every other child in the classroom because the already limited teaching resources are taken away from the unaffected children, because the teachers have to devote more time to the children affected by the conditions listed above? How can you not get this?

That's exactly what we are seeking to remove our children from when we place them in higher taxed districts.

Parental neglect and even abuse in the home are terrible things for children to have to suffer, and when they do, everyone around them is adversely affected. You'd better believe it.
That's exactly what we are seeking to remove our children from when we place them in higher taxed districts.

exactly

Unread 01-29-2008, 03:02 PM

938 posts, read 919,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I attribute them to lack of parenting at home, for one. But primarily I think a lot has to do with english not being the first language of either the students OR more improtantly the parents at home. Environment does play a role ,and in a neighborhood where both parents are working 2 or 3 min wage jobs and hte student has to work to contribute to pay bills, their school work will suffer.

Yes.. bussing them to privledge schools may or may not help their education.. the argument is moer about how they will affect YOUR son/daughter and overall education in the school as a whole and I don't think that a few underpriveldged students mixed in will effect the overall performance of the neighborhood school.
You seem to ignore the fact that the busing goes both ways. Not only will kids from the "lesser" districts find their way into the "better" districts, but some of the kids from the better districts could find their way into the lesser districts. Busing to achieve racial balance(however unpopular) has been legally (and sometimes aggressively) practiced across the country. Unless a county-wide consolidation was structured to have your kids attend neighborhood schools (and absolutely no guarantee that it would be) kids in Levittown could wind up attending schools in Roosevelt. Tell me, then, who would pick up what skills from who in that situation? And how wonderful would you feel about having your kids in that environment?

Finally, would you trust the people that run Nassau County now to run a county-wide school district?

Unread 01-29-2008, 03:34 PM

1,058 posts, read 2,224,019 times
Quote:
These people in this "exclusive neighborhoods" already ARE paying a lot more taxes than you. They're probably paying an extra $5000-$10,000 in property taxesPizzaPedro

This is a myth.

Believe it or not the property tax system on Long Island favors the wealthiest. There are plenty of people I know in North Babylon and Deer Park that pay over $10,000/year in property taxes, but earn a modest family income whereas quite a few people in Dix Hills, Northport, Smithtown, etc...with incomes of $200,000 and above pay less in property taxes than those in Deer Park, how is that fair. Property Taxes on Long Island are extremely regressive and hurt working-middle class families. That is why I advocate replacing the property tax with a progressive income tax.

Its not the property taxes that make an area "exclusive," but the overly inflated home prices. This in effect causes class stratification and here on Long Island it can be likened to a form of class apartheid. Here on Long Island the division between the haves and have nots grows every year.

Unread 01-29-2008, 03:37 PM

1,058 posts, read 2,224,019 times
Quote:
Quote:
VTP
More nonesense. Your district doesn't tax at any higher a rate than others and may even tax less.

Unread 01-29-2008, 03:41 PM

12,943 posts, read 13,590,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
This is a myth.

Believe it or not the property tax system on Long Island favors the wealthiest. There are plenty of people I know in North Babylon and Deer Park that pay over $10,000/year in property taxes, but earn a modest family income whereas quite a few people in Dix Hills, Northport, Smithtown, etc...with incomes of $200,000 and above pay less in property taxes than those in Deer Park, how is that fair. Property Taxes on Long Island are extremely regressive and hurt working-middle class families. That is why I advocate replacing the property tax with a progressive income tax.

Its not the property taxes that make an area "exclusive," but the overly inflated home prices. This in effect causes class stratification and here on Long Island it can be likened to a form of class apartheid. Here on Long Island the division between the haves and have nots grows every year.
Not trying to be a wise guy here.

If you replaced a property tax with a progressive income tax, what happens to the tax money collected in a primarily wealthy area vs. tax money collected in an area of lesser income?

Do we end up with a Robin Hood situation?

Think about how much more money could be siphoned from ALL of us on LI to go upstate and to the Big 5.

I believe it would hurt someone how is struggling much more than than the current system as our COL is higher than most elsewhere in the state.

Speculation only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island