U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-19-2008, 08:24 AM

93 posts, read 385,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
This is in relation to your other thread about Special Education. Would it not make more sense to have a consolidation of resources to help special education kids. For example there should be in Nassau three or four centers to help PDD/Autistic children, same goes for Suffolk. Parents wouldn't have to fret about which district is best for special education - it wouldn't matter where you lived.

Consolidation of school districts is logical and in the end the best solution for reducing property taxes on Long Island. It is also fair and just.

Yes you are so right. It would help tremendously in special education. But apart from that it would help all kids at all levels. I think consolidating would make opportunities to teach kids at their strengths special ed or not. The savings just from not having to pay those administrators in their mahogany offices would open up endless possibilities of programs that could be made available.

School district consolidation would not change desireable areas. Aside from school district much more goes into determining a wealthy area. Look at Old Westbury? The school district there is not considered the best yet wealthy still live in there. Did Roslyn come tumbling down in home prices since their big scandal? Nope. It is more than a school district that defines an area. Fear of losing property value is not something people in "good areas" need to worry about IMO.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 08:35 AM

1,058 posts, read 2,286,896 times
In county wide school districts students often choose to go to their neighborhood school. However, they are not limited to that choice and may apply to attend other schools. Also, county wide systems and provide schools based on the needs of students. Examples; schools for the gifted, schools for special needs students, technical schools, schools based on a particular interest or study program. Students and parents would have more choices at lower costs.

The worry Anthony has is that his home values would be effected. I think not. Look at any place that has a countywide consolidated system and you will see that there is always going to be more expensive and less expensive areas. Anthony cites Queens, do you know what homes cost in Jamaica Estates, Douglaston or Bayside - we are talking on averagae a million dollars or more. The worry that home values would crash as a result of consolidation is misplaced.

I think too many of us are accustomed to this system of having over a 120 school districts in the false bellief that our kids are somehow getting a better education than everyone else in the country. I think we just try to justify in our minds that the rip-off property taxes we pay is all worth it, but in fact we are still getting ripped off. There is a solution and it is consolidation.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:37 AM

5,218 posts, read 1,981,085 times
Quote:
In county wide school districts students often choose to go to their neighborhood school. However, they are not limited to that choice and may apply to attend other schools. Also, county wide systems and provide schools based on the needs of students. Examples; schools for the gifted, schools for special needs students, technical schools, schools based on a particular interest or study program. Students and parents would have more choices at lower costs.

The worry Anthony has is that his home values would be effected. I think not. Look at any place that has a countywide consolidated system and you will see that there is always going to be more expensive and less expensive areas. Anthony cites Queens, do you know what homes cost in Jamaica Estates, Douglaston or Bayside - we are talking on averagae a million dollars or more. The worry that home values would crash as a result of consolidation is misplaced.

I think too many of us are accustomed to this system of having over a 120 school districts in the false bellief that our kids are somehow getting a better education than everyone else in the country. I think we just try to justify in our minds that the rip-off property taxes we pay is all worth it, but in fact we are still getting ripped off. There is a solution and it is consolidation.
Thank you.. very well said.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:23 AM

999 posts, read 1,118,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNYC View Post
You try telling that to the people in Massapequa SD 23 that they are mixing Amityville where the houses are 150K apart from one district to another. I have seen the differences myself. Before being a stay at home mom, my wife was a teacher in a lower income area. The parents on those areas did not show as much interest in their kids as parents in higher income areas. Their kids were poorly prepared for school, sleepy in class, no books, no pencils etc. Each year we would spend our money to provide basic things for these kids. In a classroom environment it was much worse since it affected the other kids that were prepared.
Wow that is a pretty screwed up way of looking at things...

With the taxes we pay there shouldn't be a problem with a kid needing a pencil or pen...wth
When i went to school i had to have a pencil/pen and 5 subject notebook..
This isn't true anymore, they need to spend a hour at office max or staples. Wth there not starting an office job, there going to school to take notes and learn.

Now i feel like im shopping for my damned office when school starts..

The line of thinking as per cost of house is really messed up, saying that my house is 400k so my kids want to learn more then the guy across the way because his house is 100k or 100k less..

That line of thinking is really messed up..

Let me explain the way i see interest in kids from higher to middle to lower class.. Usually the way i see it is those in the bigger homes are both working and someone else is raising the kid, in fact nowadays just about everyone is both working and there is little time put into the kids..

However there all different, i see it go both ways higher to lower either with or not with, interested or not interested.
This can be seen right in the street or at ball games or other interests the kids have

The bottom line is, in our day of the political correct bs in this world, your kids will graduate whether they learn to read and write or not. Since the installation of no kid left behind the numbers in those charts are worthless.

I agree with consolidating and i want to see taxes go to payroll rather then it be the burden of just the homeowner, there are plenty of people making 0 contribution to things here.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:43 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,759,749 times
Let's see what we really would save. The current administrators would just be rolled up into some beauracracy(spelling?) If you think the teachers union will stand by while members are being forced out of jobs, you are sadly mistaken. The union gives more money to politicians than any other union in NY, so NOTHING will happen to the number of employees therefore the decrease in taxes will be minimal at best.

Secondly, do you really think you will always be able to go to your local school? What dope are you smoking? Roosevelt and Hempstead will be "fixed" via an influx of white middle class students bused in to equalize the race and performance levels across all schools. All this to save 1k a year in taxes? No thanks, I'll stay with what I've got.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Let's see what we really would save. The current administrators would just be rolled up into some beauracracy(spelling?) If you think the teachers union will stand by while members are being forced out of jobs, you are sadly mistaken. The union gives more money to politicians than any other union in NY, so NOTHING will happen to the number of employees therefore the decrease in taxes will be minimal at best.

Secondly, do you really think you will always be able to go to your local school? What dope are you smoking? Roosevelt and Hempstead will be "fixed" via an influx of white middle class students bused in to equalize the race and performance levels across all schools. All this to save 1k a year in taxes? No thanks, I'll stay with what I've got.
It is precisely your thinking that will continue to rape us tax payers. Keep thinking that way and watch as our tax bill goes up and up and up and.. well you get the point.
Basically you're thinking is.. well snobbish at best.. really... it is precisely this attitude that it strangling the throats of the tax payers here.
Again..we all want lower taxes..but no one is willing to do what is neccesary to fix it. The "not in my neighborhood attitude"

Old 01-19-2008, 09:56 AM

67,322 posts, read 54,914,303 times
I was just looking at "new posts" and this one caught my eye as I am a big schools person. I think consolidation works, to a point. There is a point where a larger district saves money by economy of scale. There is also a point beyond that where there are just more administrators per district, etc. When we lived in NY (Albany area), I was amazed at how many school districts there are there, too. Each with just one high school, for the most part. Everyone was very competitive about their district, too. It was so important to buy a house in the "right" district. Larger districts defuse that a bit.

Colorado has a mixture of school district sizes, though they tend towards the large. There are a few county-wide districts, and a lot of generally large districts. The one I live in, and where my kids graduated from high school, has six neighborhood, "comprehensive" high schools, plus some smaller "focus" high schools, and a charter high school. I think the larger districts allow the system to offer more options, especially for the older kids. There is some cross-enrollment, e.g. going to one high school to take, say, Japanese, then returning to your home high school for everything else. Cross-enrollment is also allowed for sports; if your school does not offer a particular sport, you can participate in another school in the district. I do not think CO has the gold standard, by any means, but this is another way of looking at things.

Re: the college attendance rates, it is well known that many 2yr college grads go on to get a a 4 yr degree or more.

Last edited by Katiana; 01-19-2008 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-19-2008, 10:50 AM

999 posts, read 1,118,350 times
Quote:

My dad is a prof at john jay, i don't dare bring up the education subject with him...
When he fails his students in his class it's not because of law....

That is all bs, were are better, it's the best....

C'mon look at all the simple stupidity around you everyday.....now ask yourself could there be anyway we have the best schools....our mental patient elected officals attended them, and some went onto the best supposedly ivy league colleges...look at the simple problems they can't fix....

So knowing that how in the hell could we have the best schools...

Look at what riverhead town board just signed off on...

Here is a simple problem.. 1 that if i was the suffolk county police commissioner i would be severely embarrassed and freaking out right now...

3 girls were raped or sexually assaulted within 1 week at william floyd hs..

At the 1st incident i would have had every patrol car in the area patrol the immediate vicinity of the school within 5 sq blocks from say 10 minutes before school gets out and 10 minutes after there empty...
I would want it so you couldn't jay walk without being seen.

They didn't do that after the 2nd rape/assault and now after the 3rd it's still not being done.. You don't need to have a degree to see what needs to be done..
What would you chaulk that up to, we have great schools creating great thinkers with the minds to combat problems and issues... I sadly disagree

Old 01-19-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
My dad is a prof at john jay, i don't dare bring up the education subject with him...
When he fails his students in his class it's not because of law....

That is all bs, were are better, it's the best....

C'mon look at all the simple stupidity around you everyday.....now ask yourself could there be anyway we have the best schools....our mental patient elected officals attended them, and some went onto the best supposedly ivy league colleges...look at the simple problems they can't fix....

So knowing that how in the hell could we have the best schools...

Look at what riverhead town board just signed off on...

Here is a simple problem.. 1 that if i was the suffolk county police commissioner i would be severely embarrassed and freaking out right now...

3 girls were raped or sexually assaulted within 1 week at william floyd hs..

At the 1st incident i would have had every patrol car in the area patrol the immediate vicinity of the school within 5 sq blocks from say 10 minutes before school gets out and 10 minutes after there empty...
I would want it so you couldn't jay walk without being seen.

They didn't do that after the 2nd rape/assault and now after the 3rd it's still not being done.. You don't need to have a degree to see what needs to be done..
What would you chaulk that up to, we have great schools creating great thinkers with the minds to combat problems and issues... I sadly disagree

LI wrongly thinks that just becasue they pay more, they have it better.

If that were the case...then the Ivy Leagues schools would only have LI graduates attending them.. because after all.. LI has the best schools and the best students right..? It's just so silly..

Old 01-19-2008, 11:28 AM

3,542 posts, read 4,162,196 times
Here in my county, which has a setup much like the one proposed by NBRes, I picked where my kids would go to school based on location, as even with the county wide SD model you will have good schools and bad schools. Affluence still plays a part in how good a school is as does parental involvement and safety of the students so you will still pay extra for a top school. But the county does try to bring up the lower performing schools by making them magnet schools for engineering, language and math for example.

What kind of school would Wyandanch Memorial High School be if students were trying to go there for an engineering program that counted towards college credits? What kind of attention would the richer folks, police and politicians pay to the area if their kids wanted to attend classes there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island