Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 01:35 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Sounds like neighborhood is important to the OP and the top neighborhoods really tend to have large houses on 1 acre lots. Houses in the $600-700k price range are just not available in many neighborhoods in Dix Hills (unless it's a major total gut renovation). Whereas in Harborfields, $600-700k buys you a house in some of the most desirable areas.

Are we looking at the same real estate? I don't know much about HHH, but there are 22 listings on 1 acre or more (within 600-700 range) in HHH. There are 5 one acre listings in HF (600-700 range) and they need work or aren't in an ideal location (busy road). 600-700k buys you a home in a "desirable" HF neighborhood where a gut job and/or addition are needed or you pay 600k+ for the land and build new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 01:53 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Are we looking at the same real estate? I don't know much about HHH, but there are 22 listings on 1 acre or more (within 600-700 range) in HHH. There are 5 one acre listings in HF (600-700 range) and they need work or aren't in an ideal location (busy road). 600-700k buys you a home in a "desirable" HF neighborhood where a gut job and/or addition are needed or you pay 600k+ for the land and build new.
I don't have time to look at the current listings, but a friend of mine was *just* a few weeks ago looking for a house under $700k in a desirable neighborhood and while some looked ok online, in person there was some major problem with each one. My own experience in searching for 2 years backs this up. By the way my friend gave up in HHH & found a house she loves in Commack!

Old 05-20-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Ok took a quick glance at the listings- I stand by my opinion. If the OP likes the Norma Ln neighborhood, they would not be happy with the areas most of those houses are in.

The one exception that jumps out at me is the colonial on Pettit Dr in Dix Hills...that's a very pretty neighborhood and they house seems underpriced at $699k. By a lot. OP go look at the colonial on Pettit Dr lol!!!

Old 05-20-2015, 02:29 PM

And in Harborfields, if the OP wants 1 acre, I agree they are going to have the same issue as Dix Hills. Before I knew that's what their requirement was, I was thinking they could get something turnkey in the Presidents Section...or something turnkey in many areas of Greenlawn. Granted it would be smaller properties, but they would find something nice for under $700k in a desirable neighborhood. You're right- not much selection in Harborfields if they want an acre under $700k.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:15 PM

50 posts, read 68,645 times
Setauket is beautiful

Old 05-21-2015, 10:27 AM

OP- I thought of a very desirable neighborhood where you might be able to find a home in your price range. It's in Melville & most people refer to it as the Wilmington Area. Anyway, it's an extremely desirable neighborhood and there is one house model that tends to sell in the $600's since it's smaller...its a high-ranch (3 bedrooms upstairs, 2 downstairs). But at that price it will definitely need updating. Fully remodeled, I've seen those houses sell close to $1 mil since it's such an in demand area. Land is usually a little less than an acre, but the way the neighborhood is laid out makes it feel very open & spacious.

Other than that one model in that one neighborhood, if you want something in the $600's you will probably be in one of the less desirable older areas...streets will be narrower & there will likely be power lines, which is a very different feel than most of Dix Hills/Melville. The older neighborhoods tend to have smaller homes, hence the lower prices. There are a few of these older neighborhoods off of Vanderbilt Parkway and also in some parts of the Caledonia section, especially in the outer portion. These neighborhoods usually have a mix of small older houses next to huge new McMansions, which I know bothers some people.

One other option might be a Dix Hills neighborhood off of Burrs- it's a Strathmore development with its own pool club...you might be able to find a small ranch in your price range but it will likely have no basement. Anything with a basement will probably be out of your price range unless maybe it needs a gut renovation. Anyway, it's a desirable neighborhood so I thought I'd mention it in case you're ok with no basement.

Good luck & feel free to ask me any specific questions you might have in your search!

Old 05-21-2015, 10:52 AM

11 posts, read 19,805 times
Thank you for the suggestions, a few questions
1. What school district is Melville in? HHH?
2. Would compromising the 1 acre sized land allow me to get a better bargain in Dix Hills/Greenlawn? I'm hoping soo...

Old 05-21-2015, 12:02 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mks32913 View Post
2. Would compromising the 1 acre sized land allow me to get a better bargain in Dix Hills/Greenlawn? I'm hoping soo...
You know a real estate agent can be a big help.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mks32913 View Post
Melville is divided btwn HHH & South Huntington districts...HHH is better rated by far. South Huntington schools are fine but not in the same league.

Yes in Greenlawn you will probably get a house in better condition if you look at less than an acre. The problem with Dix Hills is that most of it is minimum 1 acre zoning- the only exception I can think of is the Village Hill neighborhood, but that area is a little strange because half of the neighborhood is zoned for Commack schools. Melville doesn't have minimum 1 acre zoning but most of the neighborhoods are .75-1 acres which basically counts as 1 acre zoning. There are a few neighborhoods in Melville with HHH schools where the properties are MUCH smaller (the neighborhoods off of route 110)- the 'wood' section is actually quite charming but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
You know a real estate agent can be a big help.
In my experience so many agents are only knowledgeable about their own limited areas- and they are limited by law as to what they can say. They certainly cannot comment on school districts other than giving the basic facts about location. I have certainly gotten more knowledge talking to my friends (or posting here!) than I ever got from any one agent. Not that amazing agents don't exist...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island