Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 06:01 PM

26 posts, read 65,840 times

Advertisements

I am looking at HHH areas too as the OP, trying to commute to Roslyn. Will the traffic be managable?
I am looking mostly at the HHH part of Melville and West of part of Dix Hills (at least west of Deer Park Ave), with a budgert of 800K. Can you recommend the nice areas based on above strings?

Another thing, I noticed is that the HHH seems pretty slow in selling the houses? Worry that the area might not hold the value that much compared to other areas like Syosset. Is my observation correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 07:24 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times
If you are west of deer park ave, most neighborhoods where you will find houses for $800k are nice. You can def get a good idea of the neighborhoods just by driving around. In neighborhoods that have houses for $800k, I would say Tuxedo Hills, the Wilmington area (Huntington Hills, Old Forge & Strathmore), Pebble Notch and certain parts of Caledonia are the most desirable. I might be forgetting something- most of the neighborhoods are very nice. The Strathmore section east of Burrs Ln is nice too but so many of the houses don't have basements which is a definite drawback.

If you are trying to stay as far west as possible, I would def focus on houses zoned for HS East elementary schools, particularly Sunquam (Tuxedo Hills) & Signal Hill (Wilmington, western parts Caledonia) as those schools are further west than Vanderbilt which goes to West...makes it easier if you are trying to get to school for a meeting or pickup or whatever. A bigger concern is the middle school- West Hollow which Sunquam & Signal Hill feed into is considerably further west than Candlewood which Vanderbilt feeds into (Candlewood is in the south eastern portion of the district).

As far as the commute to Roslyn, I wouldn't think it would be a big deal with the close proximity to highways, but def do a test run to see how it is.

As for houses selling slowly, houses that are turnkey actually sell extremely fast...but many houses have had minimal updates since they were built in the 60's/70's and those do tend to linger on the market. Omg and some have had just the most bizarre 'updates' done in the 80's lol. Those are a turnoff & take forever to sell. I wouldn't worry about the area holding its value at all- it's the logical choice for so many people who want to get a bigger property than they could in Syosset- and who don't want to pay Nassau taxes. And don't forget it's one of the few top districts in Suffolk that is commuting distance from the city.

Good luck with your search & feel free to ask me any specific questions- I searched for a home in HHH for 2 years so I feel like I know almost every street lol!!!

Old 05-21-2015, 07:54 PM

Thank you so much!!! Sorry, I still not family with area, where are those subdivisions mentioned by you roughly located?
Tuxedo Hills, Wilmington area (Huntington Hills, Old Forge & Strathmore), Pebble Notch and West Caledonia.

In Melvile, I saw couple houses located beween Old Country Rd and Northern State Pkwy are avaliable. Is that good area? Is that too close to South Huntington? Safe in that part?

Thank you!

Old 05-21-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybird2 View Post
Thank you so much!!! Sorry, I still not family with area, where are those subdivisions mentioned by you roughly located?
Tuxedo Hills, Wilmington area (Huntington Hills, Old Forge & Strathmore), Pebble Notch and West Caledonia.

In Melvile, I saw couple houses located beween Old Country Rd and Northern State Pkwy are avaliable. Is that good area? Is that too close to South Huntington? Safe in that part?

Thank you!

Btwn Old Country Rd & Melville- you mean streets like Quintree, Wintergreen, etc? They are perfectly safe...as is South Huntington as far as I know, so no concern there. But those streets tend to get noisy & so many houses back to the Northern State, which makes those streets not as desirable. But they are perfectly safe.

As for the locations I mentioned-
Tuxedo Hills is just north of the LIE & west of Walt Whitman Rd...streets like Ponderosa, Tuxedo, Cottontail

Wilmington area is just south of the LIE and just west of Bagatelle...streets like Wilmington, Roundtree, Woodmont, Threepence. It's a huge neighborhood with its own park (actually it's 3 neighborhoods in one- the Strathmore section has its own private pool club)

Pebble Notch is between Wolf Hill Rd & Vanderbilt, just northwest of HS East...streets like Suncrest, Winthrop.

Actually pretty much anything between Wolf Hill & Vanderbilt, east of Carman and west of Deer Park is pretty nice, but I believe only a small section is considered Pebble Notch which is the most desirable. The western section is zoned for East and the eastern section is zoned for West.

Caledonia is the areas north & south of Caledonia rd...streets like Arbor, Norma, Pine Hill. Again, the western section is zoned for East and the eastern section is zoned for West (actually only a very small portion is zoned for HS West- most parts are HS East) I personally prefer the sections south of Caledonia Rd.

I am certain I left out some neighborhoods- really pretty much anything west of Deer Park Rd is pretty nice, as long as you're in a neighborhood where $800k houses are commonplace.

Here is a map showing school boundaries that you may find helpful.
http://www.halfhollowhills.k12.ny.us...o_4_020714.pdf

Old 05-21-2015, 08:49 PM

Thank you so so much!!!
yes, the area I mentioned is streets like Quintree, Wintergreen. Sure to avoid the homes next to the highway.

Another question. For those subdivision, do them charge HOA for the community tennis courts and pools? I am Texas now, at here, even SFH needs to pay HOA fees to use the community facilities.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Thank you so so much!!!
yes, the area I mentioned is streets like Quintree, Wintergreen. Sure to avoid the homes next to the highway.

Another question. For those subdivision, do them charge HOA for the community tennis courts and pools? I am Texas now, at here, even SFH needs to pay HOA fees to use the community facilities.
The Strathmore sections do charge a fee but it's low- maybe $70 a month?

Good luck with your search- you should be able to get a good value in the section you're looking in.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:59 PM

Thank you so much again! really appreciate your detailed replies to all of my Qs!

Old 05-21-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much again! really appreciate your detailed replies to all of my Qs!
No problem- happy to help!

Old 05-22-2015, 07:46 AM

11 posts, read 19,805 times
Very descriptive and detailed, thank you much appreciate it.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:55 AM

14 posts, read 21,994 times
Now you have all gotten me worried....whats so bad with East of Deer Park? - please tell me because we might buy a house right off Carls Straight Path. its a few blocks south of Otsego Elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island